YA Book Gang!! discussion

Archived Items > The Book Brigade: December 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hannah (last edited Dec 02, 2015 08:15AM) (new)

Hannah Introduction:
Hello Team members, I'm the Team mod Hannah, for this challenge you will be reading from the 2 series and 3 bonus books, one of which is chosen by your mod captain, below are the books and a set Genre each month, the point system below will explain to you how to earn points and how many you get for each complete book. You also earn points for writing reviews, doing buddy reads and commenting on the discussion threads for the series and Book of the month books below.
Good luck and if you have more questions feel free to ask your Mod Captain.

Team Members-
Capt: Hannah
1. Amanda
2. Thejmeela
3. Megan
4. Tanya

Point system:

1. Series points:
Novellas: 1 point each
Books are based on the amount of pages:
100-200 = 3 points
201-300 = 5 points
301-400 = 7 points
401-500 = 9 points
501-600 = 11 points
and so on.

Finish a complete series is = 10 points
but if you have already read part of the series before starting the challenge it is worth 8 points

Reviews - 2 points for each review written for the series books

Discussion Thread - 1 Point for discussing the series books in the thread

Buddy Reads - 4 points for BR in this group, 2 points for BR in any other group.

2. Bonus books:
are worth 10 points each

Reviews - 2 points for a review for each book

Discussion Thread - 1 Point for discussing each book in the discussion thread

Buddy Reads - 4 points for BR in this group, 2 points for BR in any other group.

3. Genre Books:

Books you read in the Genre catagory are based on page number.
100-200 = 2 points
201-300 = 4 points
301-400 = 6 points
401-500 = 8 points
501-600 = 10 points
and so on.

Finish a complete series in genre category is = 6 points but if you have already read part of the series before starting the challenge it is worth 4 points

Reviews - 2 points for each review written for the genre books

Books TBR

Series
The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1) by Mindee Arnett The Nightmare Dilemma (The Arkwell Academy, #2) by Mindee Arnett The Nightmare Charade (The Arkwell Academy, #3) by Mindee Arnett
Hidden Wings (Hidden Wings, #1) by Cameo Renae Broken Wings (Hidden Wings, #2) by Cameo Renae Tethered Wings (Hidden Wings, #3) by Cameo Renae Gilded Wings (Hidden Wings, #4) by Cameo Renae

Bonus Books
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman November 9 by Colleen Hoover

Genre:
Fantasy

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Dec 29, 2015 10:24PM) (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments My Points: 142

Bonus Books
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files) by Amie Kaufman 10 points
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4) by Marissa Meyer 10 points

Series Books
The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1) by Mindee Arnett 368 pages: 7 points
The Nightmare Dilemma (Arkwell Academy, #2) by Mindee Arnett 384 pages: 7 points
BR: 4 points
The Nightmare Charade (Arkwell Academy) by Mindee Arnett 384 pages: 7 points
Finished: 10 points
Hidden Wings (Hidden Wings, #1) by Cameo Renae 204 pages: 5 points

Genre Books
Moonshifted (Edie Spence #2) by Cassie Alexander 353 pages: 6 points
Thirteenth Child (Frontier Magic, #1) by Patricia C. Wrede 347 pages: 6 points
Oblivion (Lux, #1.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout 1005 pages: 20 points
It's a Wonderful Death by Sarah J. Schmitt 320 pages: 6 points
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo 462 pages: 8 points
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4) by J.K. Rowling 734 pages: 14 points
The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu 336 pages: 6 points
BR: 4 points
Frostfire by Amanda Hocking 336 pages: 6 points
Ice Kissed (Kanin Chronicles #2) by Amanda Hocking 320 pages: 6 points

message 3: by Hannah (last edited Dec 04, 2015 06:58PM) (new)

Hannah Team Points:

My points: 0

Bonus books:
November 9 by Colleen Hoover

Genre books:
The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu
Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman
Croak (Croak, #1) by Gina Damico

message 4: by Thejmeela (last edited Dec 29, 2015 08:51AM) (new)

Thejmeela | 93 comments MY POINTS: 100

Series Books:
The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1) by Mindee Arnett - 7

Hidden Wings (Hidden Wings, #1) by Cameo Renae - 5

Bonus Books:

Genre Books:
Inspire (The Muse, #1) by Cora Carmack - 6 (Review- 2)
Phoenix (Black City, #2) by Elizabeth Richards - 6 (Review - 2)
Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout - 6
Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer - 8
New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer - 10
Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer - 12
Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer - 14
TWILIGHT SERIES POINT: 6
Court of Fives (Court of Fives, #1) by Kate Elliott -8
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong - 6
November 9 by Colleen Hoover - 6

message 5: by Megan (last edited Dec 31, 2015 10:37PM) (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 4 comments MY POINTS: 90

Series Books:

Bonus Books:

Genre Books:
Doctor Who The Krillitane Storm by Christopher Cooper
The Krillitane Storm - 12/10 (4 stars)
242 pages - 4 points
Review - 2 points
BR - 2 points
Total: 8 points

Doctor Who Only Human by Gareth Roberts
Only Human - 12/11 (3 stars)
253 pages - 4 points
Review - 2 points
BR - 2 points

Doctor Who The Deviant Strain by Justin Richards
The Deviant Strain - 12/14 (3.5 stars)
256 pages - 4 points
Review - 2 points
BR - 2 points

Doctor Who The Silent Stars Go By by Dan Abnett
The Silent Stars Go By - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
304 pages - 6 points
Review - 2 points
BR - 2 points
Total: 10 points

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6) by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - 12/16 (5 stars)
652 pages - 12 points
Review - 2 points
BR - 2 points
Total: 16 points

How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1) by Cressida Cowell
How to Train Your Dragon - 12/17 (5 stars)
214 pages - 4 points
Review - 2 points
Total: 6 points

Xoe or Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh My! (Xoe Meyers, #1) by Sara C. Roethle
Xoe: or Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh My! - 12/18 (4 stars)
212 pages - 4 points
Review - 2 points

Thunder (Stone Braide Chronicles, #1) by Bonnie S. Calhoun
Thunder 12/23 (4.5 stars)
432 pages - 8 points
Review - 2 points
Total: 10 points

The Calusari A Novelization by Garth Nix
The Calusari: A Novelization - 12/25 (4 stars)
112 pages - 2 points
Review - 2 points
Total: 4 points

Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice (Mellow Summers, #1) by Janet McNulty
Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice - 12/28 (3.5 stars)
125 pages - 2 points
Review - 2 points
BR - 2 points

The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey, #4) by Julie Kagawa
The Iron Knight - 12/30
400 pages - 6 points
Review - 2 points

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 4 comments I like Fantasy too. :)

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Fantasy it is! Thanks everyone :)

message 8: by Thejmeela (new)

Thejmeela | 93 comments I'm good to BR both series and November 9, if anyone is interested.

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I can read november 9th with you, i just need to get a copy first lol. Plan too here soon!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments November 9 is so good, guys!

I'd already read the first two of Arkwell Academy, and just reread the first yesterday. I can BR the last two if you'd like! :)

Any fantasy books you guys are looking to read soon? Not sure what I want to read coming up.

message 11: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) I can only read Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman . Is that okay? I might be able to read the others but I'm not sure.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments That's fine, Tanya! Even if that's all you can read that fits, you'll still get us points. :) But also remember that you can read anything that fits the Fantasy genre, as well!

message 13: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) Thanks for telling me that :) I thought it was just those books that we had to read.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Tanya wrote: "Thanks for telling me that :) I thought it was just those books that we had to read."

Of course! :)

message 15: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) :)

message 16: by Thejmeela (new)

Thejmeela | 93 comments Hannah, I'll wait. Just let me know when you get the book.
Amanda, we can start Arkwell Academy whenever you like...I'm reading the first one in the meantime.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Okay Thejmeela! How about tomorrow for Arkwell Academy? I have a couple other things I need to get to today.

message 18: by Hannah (last edited Dec 03, 2015 06:10AM) (new)

Hannah Anyone want to buddy The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu ?

Ill hopefully be picking that one and November 9 by Colleen Hoover up today!

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments I could reread that, Hannah! I hardly remember anything about it, and I'd like to reread it anyway before getting to the sequel.

message 20: by Thejmeela (new)

Thejmeela | 93 comments Okay, Amanda. Tomorrow it is, then :)

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Anybody want to do any of these with me sometime this month?

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Plus One by Elizabeth Fama Frost by Marianna Baer Croak (Croak, #1) by Gina Damico Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Madly (Potion, #1) by Amy Alward It's a Wonderful Death by Sarah J. Schmitt

message 22: by Thejmeela (new)

Thejmeela | 93 comments I can read Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Thejmeela wrote: "I can read Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo"

When would you like to start?

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I can start The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu whenever your ready Amanda! I got it yesterday. Sadly my book store didnt have November 9 so itll be a few days before i can start that one.

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah And i can do Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman and Croak (Croak, #1) by Gina Damico with you after if we have time :)

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Hannah wrote: "I can start The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu whenever your ready Amanda! I got it yesterday. Sadly my book store didnt have November 9 so itll be a few days before i can start that one."

I could theoretically start this one today if you want. Tomorrow I have a family Christmas thing so I know I won't get much reading done. And even though I'm reading several books right now, I tend to go back and forth between them. So whenever you'd like!

And certainly Unwind and Croak sometime after that? They were picked for me to read this month in AMMP. :)

message 27: by Hannah (last edited Dec 04, 2015 05:00PM) (new)

Hannah Alright awesome :) ill try to start the book here shortly, i probably dont read nearly as fast as you and so take your time if your busy too lol.

Great! Ill make a thread :D

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Great! Haha, no problem. I will get started on that one shortly. Definitely take your time, though!

message 29: by Thejmeela (new)

Thejmeela | 93 comments Amanda wrote: "Thejmeela wrote: "I can read Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo"

When would you like to start?"

Whenever you're good to go. :-)

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Just got a kindle copy of November 9 by Colleen Hoover ! When would you like to start that one Thejmeela?

message 31: by Thejmeela (new)

Thejmeela | 93 comments How about tomorrow?

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Thejmeela wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Thejmeela wrote: "I can read Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo"

When would you like to start?"

Whenever you're good to go. :-)"

I can start whenever for this one! Today or tomorrow? I am busy today, but I can probably sneak in more reading on all my books. :) I do have some long car rides ahead of me in a few hours.

message 33: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Thejmeela wrote: "How about tomorrow?"

Sure :) heres the link for it!

message 34: by Thejmeela (new)

Thejmeela | 93 comments I'm really sorry, guys. I don't think I'll be able to read anymore books (for the monthly challenge, colour challenge and PIFM, even BR) as my e-reader is having some technical problems and I will not be able to buy one before christmas. :-(

message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Aw ok, im sorry to hear that about your ereader though, hope it gets fixed soon :)

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Oh no, sorry about your E-Reader, Thejmeela. Hope you can get a new one or get this one fixed. Have you tried resetting it? I had to do that with my Kindle awhile ago when it was having technical problems and it seems to be okay now.

message 37: by Thejmeela (new)

Thejmeela | 93 comments I've tried everything and it's still not working. Hope I can buy one soon.

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Aww. :( I hope so, Thejmeela.

message 39: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) Hi Guys :) I'm planning to read Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare after the non fiction book I'm currently reading. I was wondering if you guys wanted to read it with me?

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Hrm, I might be able to read that with you Tanya. I hadn't been planning on reading that series soon, but I suppose I could try and get into it if you want someone to read with!

message 41: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) I don't mind, it's just I've had it on my shelf for about a year now and I know it's a popular series. I have a lot of fantasy on my bookshelves and I picked one at random I guess.

If you want to read it should we set a date for the end of this week?

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Sorry i havent posted any in the buddy read yet! Been slow going lately, i will get it done though and post my thoughts even if it is a slow pace!!

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Sure, Tanya! This weekend I'll be spending at my in-laws...my nephew is turning one and we're having his party this weekend. But Thursday or Friday should work for me. :)

No worries, Hannah! I'm not very far in it right now. Slow going on that one, but I can pick it back up later today. :)

message 44: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) Friday is good :)

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Oops, sorry, I never responded, Tanya. Okay, Friday it is! :) I set up a thread:

message 46: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) Great thanks :) And no worries about replying, I know you are busy :)

message 47: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments No problem. :)

message 48: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) I feel so sorry for you guys because I have been so busy lately and I havent had time to read :(

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (zmobie) | 251 comments Hannah, I'm going to be starting Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman or Croak (Croak, #1) by Gina Damico in the next couple days if you still want to BR it?

message 50: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Ugh! I suck! Lol i use to have all the time in the world for reading but these past few months with my new job ive had none... :(. I hate letting my team down! I still plan to try and get a few points in!

« previous 1