Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
This topic is about Carry On
Archive - Additional Reads > Carry On - December 2015

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 6035 comments Mod
Ok, starting off well...I had to look up what a "git" is. Lol

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I absolutely adore this book ... :D

message 4: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "Ok, starting off well...I had to look up what a "git" is. Lol"

Heh, yeah that's quite a common word over here :)

I can't wait to start this book!

Beachesnbooks LOVED this book, enjoy! :)

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Oooh! Will join in at some point during the month!

message 7: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
It wasn't perfect; I thought the story didn't really get going until Baz turned up (and that was quite well into the book) and I thought the plot was a bit of a mess, jumping about all over the place and leaving questions unanswered.

However it was a lot of fun, I loved Simon and Baz, and the whole Harry Potter fanfic thing was like finding long lost comfortable PJs. It was nice to be back in that kind-of world.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments I am about 1/3 of the way through - here was my status from last night:

"Is it weird for a 38 year old man to be enjoying this book like a 15 year old fangirl? ;)"

Yeah . . . but my wife and I squeal together when Baz shows up, so she makes it less weird (maybe!?!?) This may cause me an identity crisis! :)

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Lol, Matthew! I say find joy in the world (or books) wherever you can. :)

message 10: by Elle (new) - added it

Elle | 14 comments I loved the whole Harry Potter fanfic thing too! I really feel she pulled it off and took us on new adventure going back to a comfortable world we all love and miss.

I was wondering what you guys feel about fanfic. Heck yeah or no?

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I have a fanfic addiction .. so definitely yes :)

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
I'm a fan of fanfic .... my favourite is Sterek

Beachesnbooks I thought this book had a lot of humor but also a lot of heart. You could tell how much love the author had for Harry Potter. I do agree that the book really got going once Baz showed up--he was definitely my favorite character.

I do like to read fanfic sometimes--I've read some really good Harry Potter and Hunger Games fanfic. Also some really good ones from the TV show Once Upon a Time. I like seeing the creativity that the authors can bring to the source material.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I just re-read this and to me it's really a precious book. Even though it's bordering on crackfic (or maybe because of that).

I agree that you can tell how much the author loves Harry Potter and I think those people complaining that it's just copying HP either haven't read Carry On or have no understanding of subtleties. I love the way she so lovingly makes fun of some of the things in HP that are a little worthy of making fun of ;) .. in a loving way of course.

I used to read a lot of Merlin fanfic back when the series was on TV and I tried a few Doctor Who/Torchwood and Twilight. But, while I love Doctor Who, I couldn't get into the fanfics. Apart from that, I only read HP fanfic. Mostly Drarry or other Draco-centric stories not involving Ginny (I can't stand her). Some Hermione and nextgen.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments I thought I would have been able to start it. But I am soooo late.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

That's ok, Virginie! You can still add your comments late. I haven't been able to get to this one yet either, but I will add my comments eventually.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Kristie wrote: "That's ok, Virginie! You can still add your comments late. I haven't been able to get to this one yet either, but I will add my comments eventually."

Phew! :)

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 19 comments I just started this. I think people that come into this book and try to take it seriously are missing this point. I loved the book this spun off from. I think FANGIRL is her best work.

I used to be a big fan of Buffy/Angel fan fic. (And really wrote one once.) Whether your a fan of Harry Potter or a fan of fanfic - I think this book will appeal to you.

message 19: by Elle (last edited Jan 04, 2016 08:14AM) (new) - added it

Elle | 14 comments I am LOL!! I just had to look up what "crackfic" means since the "fic" genres are all new to me. For those who are also out of the loop, crackfic is:

"A type of fanfiction (or original fiction) that is intentionally unbelievable and insane; often humorous. Usually short, one-shot stories." (Urban Dictionary)

Thanks for introducing me to these new genres with Carry On. I loved the humor, satire and creativity of these new story genres. And, I now feel more with it! Fangirl is on my bedside table to read next :)

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Elle wrote: "I am LOL!! I just had to look up what "crackfic" means since the "fic" genres are all new to me. For those who are also out of the loop, crackfic is:

"A type of fanfiction (or original fiction) th..."

Thanks, I've just learned something :)

message 21: by Elle (new) - added it

Elle | 14 comments It's funny how our generation seems to be late to the fanfic party. Better late than never, right? :)

message 22: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb Bartram | 115 comments Ok, I'm very late to this party, but I'm soooo glad that I finally had time to read this. Although I agree it was a little slow to start, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was not disappointed (I previously read FanGirl and loved returning to Simon and Baz).

I used to read a lot of fan fic (mostly Buffy fanfic), and I have to say there's a wide range of quality in those stories. This was high quality storytelling, and although steeped in a HP type world, she really came up with a unique storyline.

I will read anything Rowell writes!

message 23: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Better late than never Deb, glad you enjoyed it :)

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

You're doing better than I am, Deb! I bought this book and still haven't gotten to it! Glad you enjoyed it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Carry On (other topics)