Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > Nominations for February 2016 group read - Winner!

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8970 comments Mod
It's that time again! Please let us have your nominations for our next group read.

You are welcome to nominate books by Golden Age authors, or titles which were written later but are set during the Golden Age. Happy nominating!

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) An Expert in Murder An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1) by Nicola Upson by Nicola Upson

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 607 comments Heads You Lose Heads You Lose by Christianna Brand by Christianna Brand

message 4: by Judy (new)

Two great nominations already.

I see these are both the first in the respective series - Nicola Upson's Josephine Tey series and Christianna Brand's Inspector Cockrill series, set during WWII.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10032 comments Mod
I always prefer to read the first in a series. Tempted by both, but will nominate:

Knock, Murderer, Knock Knock, Murderer, Knock by Harriet Rutland

This is another of those long out of print novels, which has been re-discovered.

“I think,” said Palk slowly, “there’s a homicidal maniac loose in the Hydro, but who it is, God knows.”

Presteignton Hydro is a drably genteel spa resort, populated by the aged and crippled who relish every drop of scandal they observe or imagine concerning the younger guests. No one however expects to see gossip turn to murder as their juniors die one by one – no one, that is, except the killer. The crusty cast of characters make solving the case all the harder for Inspector Palk – until the enigmatic sleuth Mr. Winkley arrives to lend a hand.

Knock, Murderer, Knock! was Harriet Rutland’s sparkling debut mystery novel, first published in 1938. This edition, the first in over seventy years, features a new introduction by crime fiction historian Curtis Evans.

Harriet Rutland was the pen-name of Olive Shimwell. She was born Olive Seers in 1901, the daughter of a prosperous Birmingham builder and decorator. Little is known of the author's early life but in 1926 she married microbiologist John Shimwell, with whom she moved to a small village near Cork in Ireland. This setting, transplanted to Devon, inspired her first mystery novel Knock, Murderer, Knock! which was published in 1938. The second of Harriet Rutland's mysteries, Bleeding Hooks, came out in 1940, and the third and last, Blue Murder, was published in November 1942. All three novels are remarkable for their black comedy, innovative plots, and pin-sharp portraits of human behaviour, especially concerning relationships between men and women. Olive and John were divorced in the early forties, and Olive apparently did not publish anything further. She died in Newton Abbot in 1962.

message 6: by Judy (new)

I've been peeping at those Harriet Rutland books at Amazon, Susan, as they were recommended to me there, and they look very good.

I'd been meaning to nominate something this time, but might not after all as it's already getting difficult to choose.

message 7: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1376 comments I've just started The Cask by Freeman Wills Crofts.

Freeman Wills Crofts was an Irish mystery author of detective stories during the Golden Age of Detective Fiction. At the age of seventeen he apprenticed as an engineer and started working as an engineer. In 1919, however, he had to be absent from work due to a long illness and, during his absence, he wrote his first book, a mystery story that established him as a master of the genre. In 1929 he abandoned his career as an engineer and continued to write, producing many other books, almost one a year for a period of thirty years, in addition to short stories and plays.
Although Crofts is best remembered for his detective Joseph French, who he introduced in his fifth book, the first book, "The Cask," remains one of his most important works, hugely popular at the time, and considered by many critics one of the best and most important mystery books of all time.
In a story that codified the “police procedural,” the book follows the work of Inspector Burnley, a methodical detective of Scotland Yard, as he investigates the case of a cask that, arriving on the London docks, slips and cracks revealing contents that point to murder.

message 8: by Susan (new)

I read The Cask, Jan and thought it was really interesting as a very early mystery.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Judy, you should nominate - it's always good to have great choices and they can always be nominated again if they don't win. I would like to read all the nominations this month and, indeed, have already read three - the Cask, the Christianna Brand and the Nicola Upson, but would happily re-read any of them.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Thanks, Susan - well, I'm very tempted by all the choices so far, but will nominate

Death in the Stocks by Georgette Heyer.

Death in the Stocks by Georgette Heyer

I recently enjoyed one of Heyer's Regency romances and find her an enjoyably witty writer, so would like to try her crime fiction. This one is the first in her Inspector Hannasyde series, which was the first of her two series - I believe the Inspector Hemingway books followed on from these, though she had already written some standalone novels earlier.

message 11: by Gina (new)

Gina Dalfonzo | 12 comments I like Heyer's mysteries. My one complaint about them is that they all seem to have the same stock characters. But they make for fun light reads.

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 314 comments Gina wrote: "I like Heyer's mysteries. My one complaint about them is that they all seem to have the same stock characters. But they make for fun light reads."

I've read and enjoyed them in the past and wouldn't mind re-reading a few. I think, like a lot of fairly formulaic detective story writers, her crime novels are light and fun as you say but best not to read too many in quick succession especially as I found that, certainly with some of her books, once you know who the murderer is in one book you can almost apply the same 'logic' to work out who dunnit in the next one you read.

I didn't realise that she actually has two different detective characters so that aspect would be interesting to look at.

message 13: by Susan (new)

I haven't read any Georgette Heyer.Great that I like all the suggestions, from a personal point of view!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 607 comments I'm a massive GH fan - I moderate her group on GR. Death in the Stocks is a personal favourite.

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 314 comments ☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "I'm a massive GH fan - I moderate her group on GR. Death in the Stocks is a personal favourite."

I've never read any of her historical fiction, Carol, how does it compare for you to her detective fiction?

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Ruth wrote: "☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "I'm a massive GH fan - I moderate her group on GR. Death in the Stocks is a personal favourite."

I've never read any of her historical fiction, Carol, how does it compare for you..."

Oh, it is soooo much better! I like her detective books but I love her historical fiction!

message 17: by Judy (new)

I've just listened to one of her historical books on audible, Venetia, read by Richard Armitage who has a wonderful speaking voice, and I really enjoyed it - it was abridged, but flowed very well all the same.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 607 comments I love GH's work but it's not a completely blind love!

The best of her historical romances are certainly far superior to her detective novels - but Hemingway is my favourite Watson.

& the strong minded GH got some of her early works suppressed (try to imagine EL James doing that with FSOG in 10 years time) so don't judge her on them as some of them are back in print.

My favourite of her historical romances is Devil's Cub (it's my favourite book of all time)
My favourite of her Regencies is Cotillion
Mysteries - they don't stick in my mind the way her romances do & I haven't read them all but so far it's Envious Casca
Historical at the moment An Infamous Army but may change after we do the Group Read of The Conqueror in October.
Contemporaries She suppressed all four. I've only read one - Helen- & it's not just the worst Heyer I've read - it's one of the worst books! Like I said though - not fair to judge her on books she knew were bad & suppressed!

Sorry you got me on my pet subject! :p

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 607 comments Judy wrote: "I've just listened to one of her historical books on audible, Venetia, read by Richard Armitage who has a wonderful speaking voice, and I really enjoyed it - it was abridged, but flowe..."

I don't like being read to but I've heard lots of good things about the Richard Armitage readings! :)

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments ☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "I love GH's work but it's not a completely blind love!

The best of her historical romances are certainly far superior to her detective novels - but Hemingway is my favourite Watson. ..."

Agreed.

Richard Armitage has a marvelous voice but I can't listen to the abridged audiobooks -- I tried once but it was no good. I have read the (unabridged) print books too many times & so kept wondering about where the missing bits were.

message 21: by Judy (new)

I'll be putting up the February poll on Tuesday - so, does anyone have any more nominations to add?

message 22: by Judy (new)

The poll is now up - I tried to set it to start tomorrow morning, but it has actually started right away! It will run until December 28.

message 23: by J (new)

J (skewed) Since all the discussion about Josephine Tey, I'm voting for Expert in Murder. I love starting at the beginning of a series.

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments J wrote: "Since all the discussion about Josephine Tey, I'm voting for Expert in Murder. I love starting at the beginning of a series."

Just keep in mind that this is not the beginning of Tey's books nor is it by Tey herself - it is a contemporary book which casts Tey as a character.

message 25: by Judy (new)

Georgette Heyer has taken an early lead in the polls, but Christianna Brand is not far behind!

message 26: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 134 comments Erm, link to poll please...

message 27: by Judy (last edited Dec 18, 2015 04:16AM) (new)

Roisin, it is at the bottom of the group page if you scroll down and there is also a polls link in the top right hand corner.

Alternatively, here is a link to the polls section - I can't see how to link to just the current poll.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

message 28: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 134 comments I'm on a mobile. I can't see any polls. : )

message 29: by Judy (last edited Dec 18, 2015 04:23AM) (new)

I've just added a link to the poll in my comment above, but it goes to the whole polls section. However, the current poll is the top one so it should be OK.

message 30: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 134 comments Links are fine, I can see them. I just can't go to polls without clicking on a link to it. My interface has no polls at the bottom of the page, hence I sometimes miss the vote. I quite often have to go to an old BOTM to find a poll link. : ))

message 31: by Susan (new)

I've never read Georgette Heyer, so very excited. I love all the choices (great nominations so far) and do not mind which wins.

message 32: by Judy (new)

Unfortunately the Goodreads site doesn't seem to be very mobile friendly in general! Anyway, here is the link to the polls again just in case, since you and I were obviously posting at the same moment, Rosin :)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

message 33: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 134 comments Thanks Judy! Yes Goodreads needs to ...ahem, get with the times...

message 34: by Susan (new)

I cannot get full site on my Kindle Fire now - it keeps reverting to the mobile site (which I hate). Back to my laptop!

message 35: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 134 comments Hehehe! Yes, the upgrade on mobile doesn't give me any ebooks anymore, even though there is an ebook link. *sighs*

message 36: by Susan (new)

I used to be able to revert to the 'full site' on my Fire, but now I cannot seem to access the complete Goodreads or Amazon pages. It isn't a big deal as I prefer my laptop at home - but it can be annoying when you are not at home.

message 37: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 134 comments Yes, I'm not a massive ebooker, but it is handy when outside. Just annoying now, because one of the reading groups that I'm with picks books to read, some of which would normally be available to read on ebook. Poohsticks!

message 38: by Judy (new)

We have a winner! Our February book will be Death in the Stocks by Georgette Heyer.

Death in the Stocks (Inspector Hannasyde, #1) by Georgette Heyer

Here are the full results:
Death in the Stocks (Inspector Hannasyde, #1) 8 votes, 50.0%
Heads You Lose 3 votes, 18.8%
An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1) 3 votes, 18.8%
The Cask 1 vote, 6.3%
Knock, Murderer, Knock! 1 vote, 6.3%

message 39: by Susan (new)

See, I said you should nominate, Judy ;)

I've never read Georgette Heyer, so looking forward to this immensely.

message 40: by Judy (new)

Thanks, Susan! I've only read a few of her Regency romances, so am also looking forward to discovering her detective fiction. :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 607 comments I've always enjoyed Death in the Stocks & will look forward to the reread. :)

I messaged Judy for permission to mention this - the Georgette Heyer Fans group is also reading a Heyer mystery in February - A Blunt Instrument

I hope some of you will join us!

Link to group https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 42: by Judy (new)

I've just started Death in the Stocks and am loving it so far - the witty prose is a delight, as with the Regency stories of Heyer's that I've read. The characters are also instantly intriguing - so far, there is no danger of me mixing any of them up with one another! Really looking forward to our read.

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Judy wrote: "I've just started Death in the Stocks and am loving it so far - the witty prose is a delight, as with the Regency stories of Heyer's that I've read. The characters are also instantly ..."

I decided to "warm up" by rereading another of her mysteries while I wait for February to begin -- The Unfinished Clue. It is going to be a Heyer mystery Feb for me :)

message 44: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Judy wrote: "I've just started Death in the Stocks and am loving it so far - the witty prose is a delight, as with the Regency stories of Heyer's that I've read. The characters are also instantly ..."

I pulled it off my shelf yesterday, read it many years ago but completely up for a re-reading. But may wait a bit to dig into it so I am closer to the "now you can post spoilers" date -- January's book I finished in the first few days of the month and had to bite my lip -- well, bite my fingers -- waiting until I could post spoilers.

message 45: by Susan (new)

I have just started it too - my first ever Georgette Heyer!

message 46: by Michelle (last edited Jan 31, 2016 09:34AM) (new)

Michelle (michelleae) | 257 comments Susan wrote: "I have just started it too - my first ever Georgette Heyer!"

Mine too, not read mysteries or regency romances, looking forward to it.