Christian Readers discussion

Real Life vs. Christianese

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.R. (new)

M.R. Buster (mrbuster) | 16 comments I wanted to know how people felt about cussing in Christian books. I had a friend say that they would not recommend my book since there is low level cussing in the book by a few characters. I am trying to show real people in real lives and how they are transformed.

My question is that really something that you would not read if you knew it had in it?

M.E.

message 2: by Brit (new)

Brit I don't care for swearing for no other reason than getting the ratings up. I also don't care for sanitized books. Sanitized books do not reflect real life and are not worth reading.

So, yes I would read a book even if there is swearing. But the swearing must be needed and used right in the book.

message 3: by M.R. (new)

M.R. Buster (mrbuster) | 16 comments Thanks! That makes me feel better. I honestly have to say I was hurt. Obviously there is more to the story but it really took me back. It is so slight that when I mentioned it to my copy gal she didn't even remember it was there.

You know I really prayed about removing it but in the end felt God move me to leave it as is. I think I was just trying to be real to my life.

Thank you for your words.

message 4: by K (new)

K | 2 comments If it fits the essence of the character it is probably important to include words that fit them. How do characters develop and mature if they are squeaky clean from the outset?

message 5: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle It depends on whether your book is entertainment or guidance?

The Bible has some pretty nasty things in it. It shows clearly the dark side of humanity and evil. All this gives God even MORE Glory.

Hint: there are lots of interesting and creative ways to use profanity and crudeness. Just resorting to F's and S's is lazy.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1764 comments Mod
2 Corinthians 6:17 - "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

1 Thessalonians 5:22 - "Abstain from all appearance of evil."

Ephesians 4:29 - "Let NO corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."