EDCMOOC discussion

The Book Group Legacy?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kc (last edited Nov 30, 2015 11:44AM) (new)

Kc | 126 comments Mod
Dear all,

The book group has quite possibly run it's course, but I was thinking the other day about what a great group it was.

We ran for two and a half years following participation on one of the early Massive Open Online Courses together (with about 80000 other people!).

We have read and discussed about 24 books/short stories and I for one have been introduced to authors I would never have otherwise come across.

I have valued our discussions and maintained an interest in the themes and how I viewed and used social media as a learning tool has evolved alongside.

Best wishes
KC

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris | 24 comments Mod
Well said Kirstie. I agree with all of that! I'm really glad we carried it on and it was a great opportunity to try out Twitter as a learning tool. On top of all that there were the tremendous books we read! I look back now at James Tiptree, Don De Lillo, Phillip K Dick, William Morris, Daniel Keyes, Cory Doctorow etc and think how great it was to be introduced to all of them. Very inspiring, and I often think back to them and to the chats in general as a reference point for ideas and inspiration.

Cheers,
Chris

message 3: by Rick (new)

Rick Bartlett | 31 comments Mod
I want to also express my thanks for all of you for the fun and learning this book group gave following the EDC MOOC's.

I also appreciated reading different books and new authors, but for me the best part was interacting with the rest of you from around the globe. For me, this is what makes MOOC's and Open Learning so enriching.

All the best

Rick

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 10 comments Mod
It was truly a delight--reading some wonderful books and short stories, and participating in these wonderful conversations.

message 5: by Ary (last edited Dec 01, 2015 05:53AM) (new)

Ary Aranguiz (arymas) | 4 comments Mod
Thanks so much Kirstie and everyone for coordinating this opportunity. It is a true testament of the often hidden impact MOOCs can have and what peer to peer learning is all about. The fact that the book club thrived for over two years demonstrates what committed life long learners can accomplish and the power of connecting with others around the world. Using Twitter also proves the tool's potential to support different types of learning. Although I didn't participate as much as I would have wanted, thanks for the opportunity to join you, the great reading selections, and insightful conversations!

Cheers to #edcmchat and long live #edcmooc, now on its 3 year anniversary!

Ary :-)

message 6: by Asta (new)

Asta | 18 comments Mod
I really enjoyed our virtual book club, although I was not able to participate every month.
I was looking forward to #edcmchats.
Thanks to you I read lots of great short stories and books. My favourites were short stories by Philip K. Dick, classics such as "Time Machine" by H.G.Wells, and I am particularly grateful for Daniel Keyes "Flowers for Algernon".

If anyone thinks this book club could and should be revived, count me in!
Thanks everyone, especially KC!

Asta

message 7: by Ping (last edited Dec 15, 2015 04:12PM) (new)

Ping (pingl) | 61 comments Bravo KC & All* for having kept it going! Long live*

ps. as suggested below regarding ongoing recommendations:
lots (70 so far) of book+ recommendations in existing Bookshelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Anyone in the group can upload book recommendations:
1. open the link
2. use the search box (top-left) to see if Goodreads already has the book in its catalogue
3. click 'Add to Group' button
4. (optional) add notes relating to the recommendation.

To add a new catalogue entry (if the item's not findable within Goodreads); see tips on how to in:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/....

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne Robertson | 14 comments Thanks for the company and discussions. I really enjoyed the books - definitely made me read things I wouldn't normally have picked. I guess all good things must come to an end. I know that I have struggled to make most of the chats this year for one reason or another but I have still managed to read the books. It's great to have recommendations. Maybe we could use this space just to recommend books we have read to each other?

message 9: by Kc (new)

Kc | 126 comments Mod
Dear all, agree totally. We have this space & I would like further recommendations. We could do the odd chat too perhaps!

It helped me learn about connectivism in a hands on way. Long live edcmooc!

message 10: by Kc (new)

Kc | 126 comments Mod
Philip K Dick stories as radio plays - worth a listen?

http://www.openculture.com/2015/12/he...

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda | 10 comments Mod
I'm recommending this to my spouse who plays podcasts while drifting off to sleep.

message 12: by Rick (new)

Rick Bartlett | 31 comments Mod
Thanks for the link! Looks really interesting.