Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Some Leftovers! (Previous Reads) > The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming: A Christmas Story

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ (last edited Nov 30, 2015 05:15PM) (new)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming: A Christmas Story

Latkes are potato pancakes served at Hanukkah, and Lemony Snicket is an alleged children’s author. For the first time in literary history, these two elements are combined in one book. A particularly irate latke is the star of The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming: A Christmas Story, but many other holiday icons appear and even speak: flashing colored lights, cane-shaped candy, a pine tree. Santa Claus is briefly discussed as well. The ending is happy, at least for some. People who are interested in any or all of these things will find this book so enjoyable it will feel as though Hanukkah were being celebrated for several years, rather than eight nights.

message 2: by Melanti (new)

Melanti Snicket always makes me snicker so I'll have to track down a copy of this sometime this month.

message 3: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 116 comments Helpful Hint: If you're using a library, most in my area define this as a Picture Book, which means it won't be with the other Snicket's. It also means you you can read it before you leave...if you can balance on the tiny chairs

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Ha! I'll have to push two tiny chairs together or carry the book to the adult section ;D

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) If I can get a copy I am down!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments I ordered a used copy on Amazon, waiting for its arrival. :)

message 7: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Philip (tamara_philip) | 3 comments I love the title! it brightened my day by just reading it. I'm going to order my copy right now!!!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Woot! And, please note in our video section, I included a full reading (sadly, no pictures) of the book.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) Thanks, Jen! I was not able to find a copy :(

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments My pleasure! I didn't realize how challenging it would be to get a copy, so I had to have the reading.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) Yeah, I couldn't believe that all the libraries around me didn't have a copy. And, living in Canada to have it shipped seemed more costly than the book itself. So I do greatly appreciate that!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "Yeah, I couldn't believe that all the libraries around me didn't have a copy. And, living in Canada to have it shipped seemed more costly than the book itself. So I do greatly appreciate that!"

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments What an adorable story! I loved that the book introduced children to Hanukkah, but would have loved it more if more mention had been made to the other holidays that were briefly mentioned. AHHHHHH!

message 14: by Melanti (new)

Melanti I stopped by the library to try to find this yesterday and it was missing from the shelf. They're having a copy shipped over from another branch for me, but unless it arrives by Monday (seems unlikely), I won't have the book by Christmas. I guess that teaches me to not wait until the last minute!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments It's a difficult book to find. The art work is cute, very simple, and with that said, I did place the audio version under the group's video page. :)

message 16: by Melanti (new)

Melanti The branch closest to me has 3 copies - 1 was checked out , the second was checked out within half an hour of my getting there, and the third is missing. The copies at other branches within easy driving distance of home or work are already checked out too. Just bad luck.

But there's plenty of copies in other areas of town, so I just need to be patient. I'll get it eventually.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments I didn't realize the popularity as well as the obscurity of the book,. Let us know what you think

message 18: by Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ (last edited Dec 19, 2015 10:43PM) (new)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments So, I do have a question? How do you like your potato pancakes?
Like a hash brown, shredded with egg and flour and fried, or like a mashed potato that is fried crispy?

Do you prefer apple sauce or sour cream or both?

message 19: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 116 comments I like any and all potatoes, but to call it a latke, I say it must be shredded.
With sour cream

message 20: by Melanti (new)

Melanti I don't think I've ever had a potato pancake... I might have to try one now!

I picked this up from the library this afternoon and listened to the audio version Jen linked to while I paged along and looked at the illustrations.

It was cute (as expected).

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Glad you enjoyed, Melanti :)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Allegra wrote: "I like any and all potatoes, but to call it a latke, I say it must be shredded.
With sour cream"

My husband prefers shredded, I grew up with the fried mashed recipe. I like both sour cream and applesauce, but I prefer sour cream with the shredded and applesauce with the mashed.

message 23: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 116 comments My boyfriend surprised me with a latke breakfast the day after I read him the book. Good trade for me!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Wonderful! :)