Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2016 Plans > Vicky's 52 for 2016

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicky (last edited Sep 21, 2016 07:18AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments 2016 Favorites
The Grownup by Gillian Flynn The Stranger by Albert Camus The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls An Untamed State by Roxane Gay Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky The Road by Cormac McCarthy

--

COMPLETED, as of Week 38: 52/52!

√ 1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee | ★★★★

√ 2. A book set in a different continent
China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan | ★★★★

√ 3. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard | ★★★★★

√ 4. A book by an author you discovered in 2015
No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July | ★★★

√ 5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name
Vision in White by Nora Roberts | ★★★

√ 6. The highest rated on your TBR
November 9 by Colleen Hoover | ★★★

√ 7. A book about books
This is a Book by Demetri Martin | ★★

√ 8. A classic book with less than 200 pages
The Stranger by Albert Camus | ★★★★

√ 9. A book that was mentioned in another book (June Group BOTM)
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro | ★★★

√ 10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty | ★★★★

√ 11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | ★★★★★

√ 12. A childhood classic
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle | ★★

√ 13. Reader’s Choice
If I Stay by Gayle Forman | ★★★★

√ 14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title
What If? by Randall Munroe | ★★★

√ 15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago)
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman | ★★★★★

√ 16. A book from the top 100 mystery novels Wildcard
Shelter by Jung Yun | ★★★

√ 17. A book with a beautiful cover
The Yoga of Max's Discontent by Karan Bajaj | ★★★

√ 18. A book on a summer/beach reading list
Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling | ★★

√ 19. A non-fiction book
Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari | ★★★★

√ 20. A book with a first name in the title Wildcard
Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler | ★★★★

√ 21. A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern | ★★★★

√ 22. The first book in a new to you series Wildcard
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead | ★★★

√ 23. The next book in a series you are reading
After You by Jojo Moyes | ★★★

√ 24. A "between the numbers" book of a series Wildcard
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls | ★★★★★

√ 25. Main character is in a profession that interests you
milk and honey by Rupi Kaur | ★★★★

√ 26. A book everyone is talking about (February Group BOTM)
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell | ★★★

√ 27. A book with a beautiful title
Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff | ★★★★★

√ 28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir
A Thousand Naked Strangers by Kevin Hazzard | ★★★★

√ 29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name (April Group BOTM)
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling) | ★★★

√ 30. A fairytale from a culture other than your own Wildcard
This Should Be Written in the Present Tense by Helle Helle | ★★

√ 31. A work of young adult fiction (Book Club Selection)
Signal to Noise by Silvia Moreno-Garcia | ★★★★

√ 32. A historical fiction book (Book Club Selection)
My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante | ★★★★

√ 33. The 16th book on your TBR
One Plus One by Jojo Moyes | ★★★

√ 34. A book about mental illness Wildcard
Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner | ★★

√ 35. An award winning book
The Road by Cormac McCarthy | ★★★★

√ 36. An identity book
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi | ★★★★

√ 37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read Wildcard
The Vegetarian by Han Kang | ★★★★

√ 38. A book about an anti hero
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara | ★★★★★

√ 39. A previous suggestion that did not make it into the list (Book Club Selection)
One More Thing by B.J. Novak | ★★

√ 40. A novella from your favorite genre
The Paris Review Issue 217 | ★★★

√ 41. A book about a major world event
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah | ★★★★

√ 42. A top 100 fantasy novel Wildcard
Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel | ★★★★

√ 43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night
The Girls by Emma Cline | ★★★★

√ 44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public Wildcard (Book Club Selection)
An Untamed State by Roxane Gay | ★★★★

√ 45. A book related to a hobby or passion you have
Spark Joy by Marie Kondō | ★★★★

√ 46. A crime story
Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll | ★★★

√ 47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title
The Whole30 by Melissa Hartwig | ★★★★

√ 48. A dystopia Wildcard (Book Club Selection)
The Fall by Albert Camus | ★★★★

√ 49. A book with a great opening line
Paper Towns by John Green | ★★★
"The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle."

√ 50. A book originally written in a language other than English
Tropisms by Nathalie Sarraute | ★★

√ 51. A short story from a well-known author
The Grownup by Gillian Flynn | ★★★★★

√ 52. A book published in 2016
The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney | ★★★★

--

January
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2) by Kevin Kwan Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July The Grownup by Gillian Flynn

February
Tropisms by Nathalie Sarraute Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1) by Nora Roberts One Plus One by Jojo Moyes November 9 by Colleen Hoover

March
The Stranger by Albert Camus Paper Towns by John Green Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman Signal to Noise by Silvia Moreno-Garcia A Thousand Naked Strangers A Paramedic’s Wild Ride to the Edge and Back by Kevin Hazzard The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

April
A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe This is a Book by Demetri Martin One More Thing Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

May
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty Attachments by Rainbow Rowell The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll The Yoga of Max's Discontent by Karan Bajaj

June
Spark Joy An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up by Marie Kondō An Untamed State by Roxane Gay Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels, #1) by Elena Ferrante Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

July
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky milk and honey by Rupi Kaur After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes The Fall by Albert Camus The Girls by Emma Cline

August
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern The Whole30 The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom by Melissa Hartwig Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler This Should Be Written in the Present Tense by Helle Helle The Vegetarian by Han Kang Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

September
Shelter by Jung Yun The Road by Cormac McCarthy Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead The Paris Review Issue 217 by The Paris Review

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Welcome :)

You have great books in your list! Go for Big Little Lies if you're not sure what to choose for week 10, this book is totally entertaining :)

We'll both read Orphancorp. I'll read too The Stand (side-read) and Green tomatoes (same week). More Than This is on my list for week 4 so I'll give a feedback about it (Uglies was not for my tastes but it was ok).

message 3: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Zaz wrote: "Welcome :)

You have great books in your list! Go for Big Little Lies if you're not sure what to choose for week 10, this book is totally entertaining :)

We'll both read Orphancorp. I'll read too ..."

Hi Zaz!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm so excited for this challenge. So many tempting alternatives for these categories. I'll narrow down as we get closer. I'm also trying to double up on certain weeks, if time permits.

message 4: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I loved The Help, both the book and the movie so I hope you enjoy it. I'll also be reading Fried Green Tomatoes for the food week and I think there are quite a few of us reading it. I'm also going to be reading Why Not Me? but for my autobiography/memoir. I look forward to discussions with you!

message 5: by Vicky (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:31AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Francesca wrote: "I loved The Help, both the book and the movie so I hope you enjoy it. I'll also be reading Fried Green Tomatoes for the food week and I think there are quite a few of us reading it. I'm also going ..."

Hi Francesca! I'm so excited! I'm not sure why I never read The Help, although I loved the movie. Not actually embarrassed to read Why Not Me? but wanted to fit it in somewhere.

message 6: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Oh I've done that with a few of my books, just tried to wedge them in somewhere!

message 7: by Ella (new)

Ella | 42 comments November 9 is amazing, and it could also work for #49. A book with a great opening line.

message 8: by Vicky (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:30AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Ella wrote: "November 9 is amazing, and it could also work for #49. A book with a great opening line."

I'm very anxious to read November 9! I have it on hold at the library and am very tempted to read it this month.

message 9: by Vicky (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:30AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Week 10 update:

I've narrowed down some of my picks & am ahead of schedule! My favorite so far this year is The Stranger by Albert Camus.

message 10: by Vicky (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:29AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Week 15 update:

My list is constantly changing! I may need to put myself on a book buying ban. My last book (Week 7: A book about books - This is a Book by Demetri Martin) was a bit disappointing (two stars). Overall, I am still loving this challenge and am four books ahead of schedule.

message 11: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments I'm also changing my plan over and over again :-)
You have some great books on your list, and we have a few in common.
I read The Nightingale last year and loved it. I liked the fact that it's about World War II but focus is on the women during war. I hope you'll enjoy it unless you swap it out for another book :-)

message 12: by Vicky (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:31AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Marina H wrote: "I'm also changing my plan over and over again :-)
You have some great books on your list, and we have a few in common.
I read The Nightingale last year and loved it. I liked the fac..."

Hey Marina! I've heard such good things about The Nightingale! I'm on a long wait list at the library, so it may be one I end up buying!

message 13: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments I would buy it :-) Though I have already read it, I think I'll buy it. I know I want to re-read it at some point, and I like the cover, so why not have it on the shelf at home!

I have the same issue with the library ... Long waiting lists, especially when it comes to the popular books.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this list! I've read and loved so many books on this list and I guess I can trust your taste to find books to complete this challenge ... Just wanted to point out that "flowers for algernon" isn't a fairy tale (?)

message 15: by Vicky (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:32AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Katherine wrote: "I love this list! I've read and loved so many books on this list and I guess I can trust your taste to find books to complete this challenge ... Just wanted to point out that "flowers for algernon"..."

Thanks Katherine! My list is constantly changing, so be sure to check back :)

Thanks for your tip regarding Flowers for Algernon. I'm not sure where I got that recommendation. I'll have to look into it. Many of my book choices don't fit into the categories perfectly, but I at least try to have some connection :)

message 16: by Vicky (last edited May 03, 2016 07:24AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Week 16 update:

I finished The Nest (★★★★) a few days early. I purchased this book as part of my Book of the Month subscription box. It was a quick read with a beautiful book jacket. :)

I moved on to Mindy Kaling's Why Not Me?.

I'm ahead of schedule, so I may start tackling the longer books on my list next month, although I want to try reading in order again.

message 17: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Week 17 update:

I finished Why Not Me? last night (★★) - a bit of a disappointment, although there were some good quotes sprinkled in.

I've started Big Little Lies for Week 10 (a book by an author you feel you should have read by now). Since it's a longer book, I'm giving myself more than a week to finish it.

message 18: by Vicky (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:19AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments May Update:

Of course, many changes to my list. I'm replacing some categories with Wildcard options to fit in selections from my book clubs. I'm also moving the book covers down to the bottom of the list as I finish them each month :)

--

Week 36: An identity book
When Breath Becomes Air | ★★★★

Week 10: A book by an author you feel you should have read by now
Big Little Lies | ★★★★

Week 26: A book everyone is talking about
Attachments | ★★★

Week 24: A "between the numbers" book of a series Wildcard
The Glass Castle | ★★★★★

Week 46: A crime story
Luckiest Girl Alive | ★★★

Week 17: A book with a beautiful cover
The Yoga of Max's Discontent | ★★★

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty Attachments by Rainbow Rowell The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll The Yoga of Max's Discontent by Karan Bajaj

message 19: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments You know, you have only one wild card to use :p

message 20: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Zaz wrote: "You know, you have only one wild card to use :p"

:))) I know, I know...I've already broken so many of the rules!

message 21: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments We saw nothing! Keep reading :D

message 22: by Vicky (last edited Jul 26, 2016 07:05AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments June Update:

I've added my favorites to the top of my list for easy reference :)

--

Week 45: Related to a hobby or passion you have
Spark Joy | ★★★★

Week 44: You're embarrassed to read in public Wildcard (Book Club Selection)
An Untamed State | ★★★★

Week 9: Mentioned in another book (June Group BOTM)
Never Let Me Go | ★★★

Week 32: Historical fiction (Book Club Selection)
My Brilliant Friend | ★★★★

Week 27: Beautiful title
Fates and Furies | ★★★★★

Spark Joy An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up by Marie Kondō An Untamed State by Roxane Gay Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels, #1) by Elena Ferrante Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

message 23: by Vicky (last edited Jul 24, 2016 04:54PM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments July Update:

I'm kind of abandoning the categories at this point. Just reading books I want to read. Is it bad that I'm already thinking about next year's challenge?

--

Week 38: Anti hero
A Little Life | ★★★★★
→ One of my 2016 favorites. May be an all time favorite as well. It's tough, but read it!

Week 11: Rory Gilmore challenge
The Perks of Being a Wallflower | ★★★★★
→ Adorable! Third 5-star read in row.

Week 25: Main character is in a profession that interests you
milk and honey | ★★★★
→ Moving, modern poetry.

Week 23: The next book in a series you are reading
After You | ★★★
→ Me Before You > After You

Week 48: A dystopia Wildcard (Book Club Selection)
The Fall | ★★★★
→ Camus is becoming one of my favorite authors.

Week 43: A book about a thing that goes bump in the night
The Girls | ★★★★
→ I was hoping to hear more about the murders. Nonetheless, books 2 & 3 will be added to my TBR.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky milk and honey by Rupi Kaur After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes The Fall by Albert Camus The Girls by Emma Cline

message 24: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments I am just trying to fit the books to the categories instead of the category to the book if that makes sense. Your abandoning the categories sounds similar.

message 25: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Anastasia wrote: "I am just trying to fit the books to the categories instead of the category to the book if that makes sense. Your abandoning the categories sounds similar."

Yep! I didn't account for new books/book club books when initially curating my list. I'm beginning to feel like I'll never get through my TBR!

message 26: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments My TBR gets larger every time someone adds an interesting book to the challenge. It is all part of the fun. I am never going to have an I do not know what to read next moment.

message 27: by Vicky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 07:10AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments August Update:

I've decided to start the Rory Gilmore Challenge (I'm also re-watching in anticipation for the revival premiering in November). I'm going to take my time and read the books in the order they appear in the show :)

Likely that I won't be fully participating in next year's ATY challenge. This year's challenge has shown me that I'm just too indecisive with my TBR to follow a strict reading plan.

--

Week 41: A book about a major world event
The Nightingale | ★★★★

Week 21: A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page
The Night Circus | ★★★★

Week 47: A book with a type of food/drink in the title
The Whole30 | ★★★★

Week 20: A book with a first name in the title Wildcard
Sweetbitter | ★★★★

Week 30: A fairytale from a culture other than your own Wildcard
This Should Be Written in the Present Tense | ★★

Week 37: A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read Wildcard
The Vegetarian | ★★★★

Week 34: A book about mental illness Wildcard
Crossing to Safety | ★★

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern The Whole30 The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom by Melissa Hartwig Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler This Should Be Written in the Present Tense by Helle Helle The Vegetarian by Han Kang Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

message 28: by Vicky (last edited Sep 21, 2016 07:17AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments September Update:

...& done!

--

Week 16: A book from the top 100 mystery novels Wildcard
Shelter | ★★★

Week 35: Award winning
The Road | ★★★★

Week 42: Top 100 fantasy Wildcard
Sleeping Giants | ★★★★

Week 22: The first book in a new to you series Wildcard
The Underground Railroad | ★★★

Week 40: A novella from your favorite genre
The Paris Review Issue 217 | ★★★

Shelter by Jung Yun The Road by Cormac McCarthy Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead The Paris Review Issue 217 by The Paris Review

message 29: by Vicky (last edited Sep 21, 2016 07:23AM) (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Challenge completed, as of week 38! I'm so glad I participated in this challenge! I've read books that I never would have picked up.

Follow my Goodreads account or Instagram to see what I read next. See everyone next year!

instagram.com/vickyslibrary

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 243 comments Congratulations, Vicky! So great. I was so enthusiastic about this challenge but am the opposite and so far behind I feel like I can't catch up. I went on vacay for two months and fell so behind and a little in the spring. Hoping I can add some shorter books in and at least keep trying. So happy to see you completed it so ahead of schedule. Following your IG. :)

message 31: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments Amy wrote: "Congratulations, Vicky! So great. I was so enthusiastic about this challenge but am the opposite and so far behind I feel like I can't catch up. I went on vacay for two months and fell so behind an..."

Thanks Amy! This challenge was fun! You still have plenty of time left this year to meet your goal! Good luck!

message 32: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Congrats and have fun with your "free time" :)