21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > January 2016 Wild Card Nominations

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2088 comments Mod
Time to nominate books for the January Wild Card! If you're new to the group and unfamiliar with the Wild Card, please read 'How Things Work' in the Welcome folder. In short, the Wild Card is for books that may be considered a bit too firmly in the 'genre' camp for our usual selections.

Nominations will be open until the poll goes up in about a week. Poll will stay open one week, and the discussion will start on January 15th.

message 2: by Whitney (new)

I'm nominating The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. I haven't read much fantasy in the last decade, and this book has buzz all over the place It seems to be on every "best fantasy list" out there and was just listed as a NY Times Notable book. Here's a link to the Amazon page with excerpts from all the rave reviews: The Fifth Season at Amazon.

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Aronson (peteraronson) | 516 comments I think I'll nominate Uprooted by Naomi Novik, another book that's gotten a lot of buzz lately, and I've been planning on reading "real soon now".

message 4: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2590 comments Mod
I'm going to nominate Octavia Butler's last book before she died, Fledgling, about an amnesiac who comes to realize she's a genetically modified vampire. Butler is well known for exploring class and race through sci-fi and fantasy.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm torn. On one hand I wanted to nominate A Darker Shade of Magic, on the other hand I now want to read each of the books that have already been nominated. Pffff... Ok, I'm not nominating anything this round, I'l keep Schawb for another time.

message 6: by Marc (last edited Dec 01, 2015 07:18AM) (new)

A Darker Shade... looks good, too (3 more books for my to-be-read list!)!

message 7: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 397 comments Of course, Whitney has already nominated what was on my mind, so I wholeheartedly second it, but I will nominate my book, and it is Dark Eden by Chris Beckett

message 8: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 36 comments I already read The Fifth season, but I'll have a hard time choosing between Fledgling which has been waiting on my shelf for many years and Dark Eden which has been there for 'only' about 2 years :) So I won't propose any other book this time.

message 9: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2306 comments I loved Fledgling (and all of Octavia Butler's books) and The Fifth Season sounds very interesting. However, I'm going to once again nominate my favorite fantasy (and one of my top 5 books ever) -- The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly.

message 10: by Marc (new)

The Book of Lost Things keeps coming across my path (must be a sign from the lit gods). Fledgling has also been sitting on my shelf neglected for quite a few years. I have a PDF copy of Butler's Survivor if anyone is interested (send me a private message with your e-mail; it wasn't reprinted and used to be hard to find--might be much easier now).

message 11: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2465 comments Is this non-fiction book eligible for Wild Card nomination? If so, I nominate it.

Unfinished Business Women Men Work Family by Anne-Marie Slaughter Unfinished Business: Women Men Work Family by Anne-Marie Slaughter

Besides the book description and the reviews, some may be interested in this page from The Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/author/ann...

message 12: by Marc (new)

I'm not sure that one quite fits within the Wild Card parameters.

message 13: by Lily (last edited Dec 02, 2015 12:47PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2465 comments Marc wrote: "I'm not sure that one quite fits within the Wild Card parameters."

I did read those before I posted, Marc, and my own uncertainty - "yes, it seems to, as best I can tell, but maybe the moderators won't agree" -- was behind why I posted it as I did. So I'm fine with whatever the call may be or whatever you may clarify from the Wild Card parameters. (One of my concerns in even posting it was it is still not available in paperback either. I haven't read it, so can't personally attest to its value as a read, but I am interested enough that, if nominated, I will vote for it and read it.)

message 14: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 1692 comments Mod
Sorry, Lily, but I don't think your non-fiction book fits.

message 15: by Whitney (new)

Any more nominations? Poll going up tomorrow. So far a small but excellent selection.

message 16: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2465 comments Given the clarification from the moderators that it is not the intent of "Wild Cards" to include non-fiction (despite that category specifically being included in the original October Wild Card kick-off), I of course withdraw the nomination of Unfinished Business.

A note has been added to the Wild Card parameters page to remind future nominators of the fiction criterion.

message 17: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 1692 comments Mod
The original wild card was set up so that, in the month of October, we read books in six separate categories, on top of the monthly chosen book and the moderator pick, adding up to eight books in one month. We did it for two or three years, but it was just too much. Apart from moderator fatigue, some discussions suffered because, with so many choices, individual readers could rarely get to more than two or three of the books, and some books did not draw enough readers for a good discussion. The last time we did this was probably four years ago, and I don't even remember all of the topics. They did include non-fiction, and I think young adult fiction, as well as science fiction/fantasy, horror, and mystery. There may have been one more I cannot remember. The wild card as it exists now was never intended to cover every category in the old October list. Instead, it was aimed at new and creative fiction that would not necessarily be considered great literature, but that seemed worth discussing as new frontiers in literature because the author brought something new, a new approach or new ideas.

message 18: by Marc (new)

The poll is up here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/127254-what-will-be-our-january-2016-wild-card-pick-as-always-please-only

Voting will close on 12/14. Let the wild rumpus begin!

message 19: by Whitney (new)

The poll closes tomorrow and we have a tight race. Get those last minute votes or vote changes in.

message 20: by Marc (new)

And the winner is The Book of Lost Things!

Linda, would you like to do the honors in terms of moderating?

message 21: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2306 comments I will be pleased to moderate!

message 22: by Marc (new)

Wonderful!!!

We'll set it up so discussion can begin January 15, 2016.

message 23: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2306 comments Marc wrote: "Wonderful!!!

We'll set it up so discussion can begin January 15, 2016."

Will you be setting up the discussion soon?

message 24: by Marc (new)

Linda wrote: "Marc wrote: "Wonderful!!!

Will you be setting up the discussion soon?"

The folder is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/299031
All you have to do is click "New Topic" to start whatever threads you'd like (maybe start with a "spoiler" thread and a "no spoilers" thread unless you'd like to break up the discussion in another way). Just let me know if you need any help. I tried to send a direct message to you earlier today, but I think GR wouldn't let me because we're not officially "friends". Feel free to message me if you need any help or have any questions, Linda!

message 25: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2306 comments Marc wrote: "Linda wrote: "Marc wrote: "Wonderful!!!

Will you be setting up the discussion soon?"

The folder is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topi..."

Thanks Marc!

message 26: by Marc (new)

Thanks for all those links and kicking things off!!!