Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Winter 2015-16) > 20.10 Leap Year

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (last edited Nov 30, 2015 10:02AM) (new)

Kate S | 6027 comments 20.10 Leap Year Elizabeth (Alaska)'s Task: February has an extra day this year. Read a book whose title includes all of the letters E X T R A. These letters do not have to appear in the title in order. Subtitles, if part of the MPE on GR, will count for this task.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments And THIS may be my undoing for women authors ( going by my bookshelf! ).

I have found one : Exiles At Home: Australian Women Writers, 1925 1945 which only gets me there thanks to the subtitle.

It's funny, every book I find with an "x" is lacking either an "a" or a "t".

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Husband got on the case and I have just ordered The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel from the library, so it looks like I have my two books covered :)

message 4: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Amanda wrote: "And THIS may be my undoing for women authors ( going by my bookshelf! ).

I have found one : Exiles At Home: Australian Women Writers, 1925 1945 which only gets me there thanks to the..."

Try actually searching for "extra". I think you might have a couple after all, although I don't know which bookshelves you're working from :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11946 comments Amanda - one of my options is Felix Holt: The Radical by George Eliot. Oldies and jumbo points as a bonus.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Cory Day wrote: "Amanda wrote: "And THIS may be my undoing for women authors ( going by my bookshelf! ).

I have found one : Exiles At Home: Australian Women Writers, 1925 1945 which only gets me ther..."

My own bookshelves, and searching for "extra" gives me Jung, a Mitford family biography that I have read, and a children's book i read with my daughter.

I will keep an eye out as the reporting comes in for other options, but as I have two books I am happy. :)

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Amanda - one of my options is Felix Holt: The Radical by George Eliot. Oldies and jumbo points as a bonus."

Perhaps I will look at adding this to my audiobook list if I run out of things to listen to. Will put it on my "planning" list, thank you.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11946 comments Amanda wrote: "Cory Day wrote: "Amanda wrote: "And THIS may be my undoing for women authors ( going by my bookshelf! ).

I have found one : Exiles At Home: Australian Women Writers, 1925 1945 which ..."

I see several on your shelf - search only for "ex" not all of the letters and more will come up.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Perhaps i could find What Katy Did Next, which would add Series points, and there is The Great Unexpected, which I don't even know why it is on my list.

I have Feminism And Poetry: Language, Experience, Identity In Women's Writing, but the fact that Not A Novel is missing this season turns me off reading too many more non-fiction.

After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse could be used for 10.5 for combos, if I am looking for a light read mid-season, as I will have to borrow it, and my library pile is beginning to look fine-worthy already :(

message 10: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6027 comments Also if you put spaces between the letters it will sometimes bring up a different list. (e x t r a), but it will pull up the letters from the series and the author's name in addition to the title.

message 11: by Tien (last edited Nov 30, 2015 12:59PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2456 comments Amanda wrote: "Perhaps i could find What Katy Did Next, which would add Series points,..."

Oh! If only we're in the same state, I could've lent you my copy!

Work: A Story of Experience by Louisa May Alcott?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11946 comments Tien wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Perhaps i could find What Katy Did Next, which would add Series points,..."

Work: A Story of Experience..."

Great!

message 13: by Tien (last edited Nov 30, 2015 01:18PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2456 comments Amanda, I found a few female authors on my tbr though they all seem to be Aussie & are Bios... too bad we don't have NF style this season :(
I'll list them anyways, in case you're interested...

Kitty's War, The Remarkable Wartime Experiences of Kit McNaughton by Janet Butler
The Night My Bum Dropped: a Gleefully Exaggerated Memoir by Gretel Killeen
The Washerwoman's Dream: The Extraordinary Life of Winifred Steger 1882-1981 by Hilarie Lindsay
A Fence Around The Cuckoo and Fishing in the Styx by Ruth Park

The only series I found on my tbr (by female author) is:
An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey #1) by Nicola Upson

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Tien wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Perhaps i could find What Katy Did Next, which would add Series points,..."

Work:..."</i>

There is no "R" in [book:What Katy Did Next
, I realised on the way to work

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4238 comments I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason for looking at female authors for this task

message 16: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2456 comments Rebekah wrote: "I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason for looking at female authors for this task"

Rebekah, Amanda's just making it extra hard for herself in the next 3 months to only read female authors... the task itself isn't limited to female authors :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11946 comments Rebekah wrote: "I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason for looking at female authors for this task"

Amanda chose to make an additional personal challenge this Winter to read all female authors.

message 18: by Will (new)

Will | 55 comments And wasn't there a point bonus for female-authors-only listed? Did I dream that?

message 19: by Tien (last edited Nov 30, 2015 05:10PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2456 comments Will wrote: "And wasn't there a point bonus for female-authors-only listed? Did I dream that?"

That's only for Dominoes

message 20: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4238 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason for looking at female authors for this task"

Amanda chose to make an additional personal challenge this Winter to read all female..."

full of Zeal!

message 21: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4238 comments Great Expectations is on the 10.4 list, has no L in it and gets oldies points

message 22: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4238 comments I'm looking at all my books with Texas in the title, see if I can find an "r" amongst them. I'm using my iPad so I could type that sentence!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11946 comments Rebekah wrote: "Great Expectations is on the 10.4 list, has no L in it and gets oldies points"

Charles Dickens has an L in it.

message 24: by Krista (last edited Dec 06, 2015 09:08PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments I think that I'm going to use this task for the new Alexander McCall Smith No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series installment. But any book in this long series would work since the author's name contains 'Extra'.

I'm also thinking about Sue Grafton's X

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11946 comments Krista wrote: "I think that I'm going to use this task for the new Alexander McCall Smith No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series installment. But any book in this long series would work since the auth..."

The letters must appear in the title. The authors name is not part of the definition of this task.

message 26: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Krista wrote: "I think that I'm going to use this task for the new Alexander McCall Smith No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series installment. But any book in this long series would work..."

Doh! So much for my reading comprehension. LOL I'm glad I posted the note. Back to the drawing board now. Thanks!