The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

2016 Reading Group Challenges > Stephanie's 2016 Mystery/Thriller Challenge.

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5458 comments I've added that list to my toolbar. Always like new ideas

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry_jones | 20 comments some good choices.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 587 comments I really like this challenge. I don't think I'll be able to accomplish with my other one this year but maybe next year. Great choices here. :)

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Thank you! I'm pretty excited about each book!

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 10 comments Thanks for the list! There are some really great ones that are included. Have read quite a few in the past. I like lists that cut to the chase and this one certainly does.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Linda wrote: "Thanks for the list! There are some really great ones that are included. Have read quite a few in the past. I like lists that cut to the chase and this one certainly does."

Your very welcome, Linda :) I'm glad everone has like my challenge because all I did was pick 25 out of Amazon Top 100. I hoping next year I can do another 25 until I make my way through the whole list.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) Great list! Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and The Surgeon are on my list too. If you fancy doing them as a buddy read, give me a shout!

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Amanda wrote: "Great list! Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and The Surgeon are on my list too. If you fancy doing them as a buddy read, give me a shout!"

Will do!!

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8694 comments Mod
In Cold Blood is a great book. Seriously great.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Nancy wrote: "In Cold Blood is a great book. Seriously great."

That's what I hear! I'm thinking of starting it next!

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8694 comments Mod
Stephanie wrote: "Nancy wrote: "In Cold Blood is a great book. Seriously great."

That's what I hear! I'm thinking of starting it next!"

Read it slowly -- it deserves so much attention.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Book 1 of 25!

Relic (Pendergast, #1) by Douglas Preston

Relic by Douglas Preston

[Read: 01.19.16] [Pages: 480]

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this book! I'm not big on Sci-fi, but it just worked really well here. I loved the whole curse and relics and the "creature". It had me on the edge of my seat, screaming at my Kindle! I felt like I was trapped in the museum right along with them, fighting for my life! Great read!

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Nancy wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Nancy wrote: "In Cold Blood is a great book. Seriously great."

That's what I hear! I'm thinking of starting it next!"

Read it slowly -- it deserves so much attention."

Thanks for the advice, I will! Isn't it based on a true story?

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Book 2 of 25!

No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

[Read: 02.14.16] [Pages: 309]

Holy Shit! This book! I now know why this book made the Top 100 Best Mystery/Thrillers Novels! The writing style is completely unusual & the way it read was amazing. The characters voices were completely their own & you knew instantly who was speaking. I very much enjoyed this & am eager to stalk the author page for more book of his to read!

message 16: by B'burg Linda (new)

B'burg Linda | 34 comments What a fun challenge. I've seen the list and have read some, but have many more to go. I'm hoping to fit several in on my individual challenge, but like your idea of an organized plan. Maybe next year. . . .

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (absorbedinpages) I love this challenge! It's a great idea.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Book 3 of 25

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

[Date Read: 02.16.16] [Pages: 368]

In Cold Blood was such a chilling read for me because I knew it's was based on a true story. Knowing that poor family was murdered for no other reason than "no witness" makes my stomach hurt. I kept waiting for the big reveal of why. And when I got it I was disgusted that some people have zero remorse & think a human life isn't worth more than a few bucks. I've read several true crime novels & I must say this one was done right.

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5458 comments Stephanie wrote: "Book 3 of 25

[Date Read: 02.16.16] [Pages: 368]

In Cold Blood was such a chilling read for me be..."

It was well-written.

message 20: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 209 comments Looks like I've already read ten of them. Problem is, when I find a book on that list and decide I like the author, then I read the whole offering from the author.

message 21: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Leveck | 7 comments I read this book years ago and yes, it was one of the most frightening books I have ever got my fat little patties on. Truman Capote's other books are boring when compared to this one. He was obviously emotionally involved with the killer in the story. I think that if you are just reading this book for the first time, you will be very disappointed in the rest of his repertoire. The rest is not as good as this ageless book. However, if you are going to read the rest, you will find this one the best!

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Ken wrote: "Looks like I've already read ten of them. Problem is, when I find a book on that list and decide I like the author, then I read the whole offering from the author."

I know how that is. When I find I book I really like I tend to stalk the authors page & read anything of theirs I can get my hands on.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Sherry wrote: "I read this book years ago and yes, it was one of the most frightening books I have ever got my fat little patties on. Truman Capote's other books are boring when compared to this one. He was obvio..."

I checked out some of his other books & nothing really seemed to grab me so I doubt I'll read any of his other work.

message 24: by Stephanie (last edited Apr 22, 2016 07:49PM) (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Book 4 of 25

What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman

What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman

[Date Read: 04.08.16] [Pages: 400]

Really?! I feel gypped! This had the potential to be great! Everything was there, but the ending! I kept waiting for this huge crazy, unbelievable reveal that the storyline suggests. I kept thinking, oh this is going to be a real doozy. So when I finally reached the end & the big reveal was summed up in about a page in a half. I lost it! It was so lame to what I had imagined it made me regret reading it. I mean it was bad, but nothing compared to what it suggests. The build up was pretty damn good for the finale to completely fall flat for how it all became to be. The only reason the novel gets 3 stars from me was because of the writing alone, the rest not so much. Would Not Recommend!

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Book 5 of 25

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson

[Date Read: 05.12.16] [Pages: 495]

Oh My Gosh! This book! I couldn't stop reading! A definite page-turner for sure. I thought I knew, but was wrong at every turn. I mean I had some stuff figured out, but that ending I thought I had it locked only for the author to slap me in the face with it.

message 26: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5458 comments I'm looking forward to reading this. It's been on my shelf for a little while now.

message 27: by Stephanie (last edited May 19, 2016 03:27PM) (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Book 6 of 25

Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark

Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark

[Date Read: 05.17.16] [Pages: 274]

This is a re-read for me. I read it 10+ years ago when I was in Jr. High. I remember it being the first mystery I had picked up since I was a kid reading the boxcar series. It was the start for my love of mysteries! I remember it being almost taboo and definitely having the shock factor. Now reading it after reading some of the novels I read in this genre, it could easily be a Lifetime movie in comparison. I'm glad I read it back then or I probably wouldn't have cared too much for it now.