Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > January 2016 A New Leaf Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Dec 31, 2015 11:33AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
Our January Group Read of 2016 theme is A New Leaf.

What does that mean?

*You could vote for a new author you've never read.
*You could nominate a new book/first book in a new series you've never read.
*You could nominate a book that is about a character who is turning over a new leaf, or whose life is about to change in very interesting ways.

It's up to you. Just make sure your nomination follows the guidelines below:

Considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You may see the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).

The poll will go up on December 6th.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Bell | 21 comments Yeager's Law

Meets criteria number three. Ignore the author; that guy's an ass.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 794 comments Way of the Wolf by E.E. Knight is the first in his Vampire Earth series. It's not about Dracula type vampires, but a post apocalyptic US after we've been invaded by monsters through dimensional portals. There are some good aliens who can make changes to humans that allow them to better battle the aliens, but it's a shoe string operation all around - a very 'real' & thoroughly tough world of the future.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
Do we have a subject or genre?

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Do we have a subject or genre?"

It can any subgenre with action. The subject is thematic. Anything that fits "A New Leaf". I gave some basic suggestions above, but you can feel free to be creative.

I thought it might be nice to make January a more loose theme.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Bell | 21 comments Jim wrote: "Way of the Wolf by E.E. Knight is the first in his Vampire Earth series. It's not about Dracula type vampires, but a post apocalyptic US after we've been invaded by mo..."

I liked the first couple of books in this series, then Knight seemed to wander off track. Classic case of trying to extend a series beyond the story.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
Okay. I like most military action fiction and military science fiction especially. I recently discovered Undying Mercenaries series by B.V. Larson and have liked them all (planning to stop the last [so far] soon). They have a slightly off kilter twist with the main character. I'll nominate the first one.

Steel World Steel World (Undying Mercenaries, #1) by B.V. Larson

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I'm going to nominate Resenting the Hero by Moira J. Moore. She's a new to me author and it's the first book in the series.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Bell | 21 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "I'm going to nominate Resenting the Hero by Moira J. Moore. She's a new to me author and it's the first book in the series."

A nice series. I enjoyed the first few, but I think I've missed the latest title(s).

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up. You can vote by December 13th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Resenting the Hero won the poll. See you on January 1st for the discussion.