Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

If You've Got It, Haunt It (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #1)
This topic is about If You've Got It, Haunt It
Featured Series and Cozies > Haunted Vintage Mystery by Rose Pressey

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Nov 30, 2015 05:42AM) (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
This month's theme read is the Haunted Vintage mystery series. Cookie Chanel owns It's Vintage Y'all, a clothing store in a small Georgia town. If You've Got It, Haunt It is the first book in the series.

If You've Got It, Haunt It (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #1) by Rose Pressey

Other books in the series:
All Dressed Up and No Place to Haunt (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #2) by Rose Pressey Haunt Couture and Ghosts Galore (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #3) by Rose Pressey

All Dressed Up and No Place to Haunt
Haunt Couture and Ghosts Galore

Discuss this series here.

message 2: by Nell (last edited Dec 02, 2015 04:33PM) (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
The Kindle price for If You've Got It, Haunt It has dropped to $1.99.

All Dressed Up and No Place to Haunt, the second book in this series, is on sale for $2.39.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 878 comments I have read this one before (and enjoyed it!), so at the moment it is at the back of my current reading list after another couple of Goodread group books!

Julesy | 384 comments I read this book a couple of months ago and didn't enjoy it. I guess I should have clued in to the fact that it was about vintage fashion and I don't care for fashion/clothing themes. I did listen to it on audio and I'm not sure the narrator lacked the ability to make it more interesting for me.

I have read Pressey's Larue Donavan series, which I love. She writes so many different series, but I think paranormal is a common theme in most of her series.

Lindsay (crowshollow) | 50 comments I loved this book. And it was fast! Her characters are so fun! I want to know more about the cat!

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 878 comments I will admit I think I preferred it this time around, it deserves a second (or more!) reading.

message 7: by Marisa (new) - added it

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments I've read Haunt Couture and Ghosts Galore. I've liked it but it's a bit slow.. and I don't like a lot the MC.

Chris I just finished If you have it haunt it!! Fun and fast paced. not too many surprises but enough to keep me interested! Always happy to find another author series to read!!

Robert (rdowens) I finished this just now. That it took a week to get through was telling. In a nutshell, I did not like this book at all. I can dismiss the fashion theme as I am a guy and that did nothing for me. But on top of that, I didn't find the writing to be very good and the mystery was flat. I see I am in the minority with that view. I won't be continuing this series.

message 10: by Tina (last edited Dec 27, 2015 08:39AM) (new) - added it

Tina | 162 comments I just bought this and plan to read in January. I hope I like it!

Julesy | 384 comments Robert wrote: "I finished this just now. That it took a week to get through was telling. In a nutshell, I did not like this book at all. I can dismiss the fashion theme as I am a guy and that did nothing for me. But on top of that, I didn't find the writing to be very good and the mystery was flat. I see I am in the minority with that view. I won't be continuing this series. "

I am in the minority with you as well, Robert. Do you enjoy reading paranormal mysteries or paranormal cozy mysteries? I do not and that is probably why I did not care for it (in addition to the fashion theme that I mentioned above). However, I did enjoy the first book in Zoe Donavan series which is also paranormal cozy. The narrator was fabulous and made the book very fun. I have the next 2 books in this series on audio so I am looking forward to listening to those in 2016.

Robert (rdowens) Paranormal is not my choice theme, but I can handle it. Frankly, I can handle fashion too if it is a well-told story. For me, that is where this failed.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 878 comments I know for me if it is a toss up between these books and the ones by Annette Blair then I will go for the latter ones.

jaxnsmom | 2408 comments Mod
I have the book but haven't had time to fit it in yet. I'm trying for this weekend since I'll be done trying to cram in books needed for challenges ending December 31st.

I've started the book, and a few things are bothering me. Beautiful cat, but (view spoiler) I drive a stickshift and I never put it in neutral and set the brake when I park, so it peeves me when she mentions it - which seems like almost every time she parks. There are a lot of things that bother me with the story, but I really enjoy Pressy's writing style.

message 16: by Helen (new)

Helen (helennn) | 559 comments Probably not a theme I would be interested, but I have to comment on the stick shift. I have driven manual transmission cars for 50 years, and would never leave them in neutral when I park!

message 17: by Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (last edited Jan 04, 2016 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 878 comments Surprisingly the stickshift thing didn't bother me as we (in the UK) learn to do that unless parking on a hill!

Here in WV there aren't many flat areas :)

Lindsay (crowshollow) | 50 comments I'm sorry I picked such an un popular book. It was on my shelf and fit the bill. I do love paranormal though.

message 20: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (mw8019) | 273 comments Lindsey,

I just started reading it yesterday, so I am not too far into it, but I am enjoying it so far. I like her tips at the beginning of the chapters, and really enjoy her interaction with the ghost. I would say different strokes for different folks. You can't please all of the people all of the time. But you can please some of the people some of the time.

Mary W

message 21: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha Samsell (tmhoira2012) Finished reading, okay mystery, would like to read the others in the series.

Lindsay (crowshollow) | 50 comments Thank you for the kind words. I really loved how quick and easy they were. Which is nice with the kids interrupting and needing to put it down.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 878 comments Lindsay I liked it, I just hope that some of the wrinkles are ironed out in the next book (which I will be reading!)

Julesy | 384 comments Lindsay wrote: "I'm sorry I picked such an un popular book. It was on my shelf and fit the bill. I do love paranormal though."

Lindsay, don't fret about it. That is the beauty of picking books for the month. We all get to try something new and some of us enjoy them, some don't. Since Pressey writes so many other series, if this particular series does not impress, I would suggest trying one of the others. Some are also available on audio, if that is any incentive.

Lindsay wrote: "I'm sorry I picked such an un popular book. It was on my shelf and fit the bill. I do love paranormal though."

Never be sorry about a book you pick! There will always be people who love a book and those who hate it. I know I've loved and hated the monthly books, but it was always worth trying them.

Lindsay (crowshollow) | 50 comments Thanks you guys. I just like to make everyone happy. Lol. And she does write extensively. So there are lots of her books to try.