Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #1)
This topic is about Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen
Featured Series and Cozies > Year-Round Christmas Mystery by Vicki Delany

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Nov 30, 2015 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nell | 2661 comments Mod
December's featured read is Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen by Vicky Delany. First in a new series, A Year-Round Christmas mystery. Merry Wilkinson owns Mrs. Claus' Christmas Treasures in Rudolph, New York where it's always Christmas.

Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen A Year-Round Christmas Mystery by Vicki Delany

Share your comments about this Christmas mystery here.

message 2: by Nell (last edited Dec 01, 2015 05:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nell | 2661 comments Mod
I started reading this mystery yesterday and was turning pages well into the night. The setting is the small town in upstate New York where the MC grew up. She has returned and opened a shop specializing (of course) in Christmas treasures. A variety of characters include family, other store owners and both friends and a nemesis from her childhood.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 897 comments Well I just finished it and I will confess that the person who turned out to be guilty was NOT who I thought of! I found it slow going but then again it is a first book and sometimes that happens, I could read another in the series quite easily if there was one.

Mary (mw8019) | 273 comments Nell wrote: "December's featured read is Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen by Vicky Delany. First in a new series, A Year-Round Christmas mystery. Merry Wilkinson owns Mrs. Claus' Christmas Treasures i..."

I just finished reading this book and thought it was fabulous. I enjoyed meeting all the new characters and thought the book was well written. I will look for others in this series because Christmas is my favorite time of the year!

Nell | 2661 comments Mod
I finished this one yesterday. It was very good especially for a series first. Liked the characters and the setting. There were ample suspects and motives. It kept me guessing and surprised me at the end...I was sure I knew who did it but I was wrong. Kudos to the author!

Julesy | 390 comments This looks like a good book. Unfortunately, my holiday reads are already stacked up for this year. :-( I am adding this to my holiday reads for 2016. Maybe by then the price will come down a bit.

Robert (rdowens) I finished this book this morning. I enjoyed it. Just as Hilary stated above, it did not turn out to be who I thought it was. Cleverly disguised, I suppose.

Rudolph, NY sounds like a nice town and the characters are enjoyable. I enjoyed the Christmas theme here in mid-December. I am not certain I would enjoy reading about this town in April. We shall see how the series progresses to know for certain.

Nell | 2661 comments Mod
That's what I wondered too Robert. Don't know if I'd enjoy reading a Christmas mystery as much at another time of year.

jaxnsmom | 2440 comments Mod
Overall I really enjoyed the book and look forward to seeing a second one come out. There was some unevenness but I put that down to being the first book in a new series by the author. The main thing I'm wary of is the possibility of the dreaded love triangle.

message 10: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Overall I really enjoyed the book and look forward to seeing a second one come out. There was some unevenness but I put that down to being the first book in a new series by the author. The main thi..."

With you 100%. With all these love triangles in cozies it sometimes makes me feel like I am the most hideous beast on the earth, I've NEVER had two people competing for my attention. Thrilled to pieces though with the One who fell for me.

message 11: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 722 comments I almost forgot to come and comment. I read the book this month. I enjoyed it. I felt the atmosphere and theme overwhelmed the mystery a bit at times, but I love Christmas so that wasn't an issue. I'd absolutely love to go visit this town.

Hopefully, the love triangle isn't a big/long running thing. At this point, I'm not really rooting for either of the guys, which is unusual for me. Normally, I've picked one by the end of the first book.

jaxnsmom | 2440 comments Mod
I don't think we know enough about either guy yet. I know I don't have a good sense of whether they're both good guys, or if there's something hinky about one (or both) of them.