Park East Seniors 9th discussion

MP2 Book Reviews

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana Amoroso | 8 comments Now that you have finished reading your chosen independent reading, please post a REVIEW of your book in about 250 words. Avoid summary – we can find summaries of books all over the internet, but what is important is what you thought about your book! Please also be careful not to spoil the book for anyone who may choose to read it in the future – give us something to interest us, without giving away the whole story.

Due Friday, December 4th by 11:59:59

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Crespo | 8 comments The book "of mice and men" is a great book so far because of the dialogue that has been going on. Lennie and George are the main characters and the way George handles his situations with lennie is very humorous because lennie is not very wise. I would recommend this book even though I read only a few chapters because it's very interesting and the chapters are not very long so you catch up on the story fast. There's also situations in the book where some readers might relate to in some way so it would intrigue you even more. I want to continue writing more but that's basically what I think of the book so far and I haven't read much of it but next review I would know more about it

message 3: by Kiara (new)

Kiara Guzman | 7 comments The book i'm reading jefferson sons has a lot to do with jefferson and his kids beverley harriet eaton and thomas. These kids has a lot to do with being a slave. As you can see in the book jefferson slept with a slave and the slave women had the four kids.They have to try and keep jeferson identity in secret but they still try to make sure they get better treatments as begin slaves.The mother always has to be working as well and jefferson is always in washington. Also in the book beverley tries to deal up with his relationship with his father. There father is trying to set them free by the age of 21. The Soul purpose is to try and be free and not have to be slaves. Peter is close friends to maddie jefferson daughter but his only goal is to make sure they have the knowledge that someday they can be free as well because peter is a former slave. In the book right now we see jefferson and sally kids trying to get out of slavery. In the book we see alot of relationship bonds between parents and the kids and them wanting to catch the joy of freedom.

message 4: by Damarco (new)

Damarco Wynn | 4 comments The book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is a book I would recommend for teens. This book gets very dep into how a friends can betray you or how your life can get ruined because of something that happened at a recent event. The main character name is Melinda. She had a best friend in the previous school year and over the summer but when she came back to school the following year she was all alone by herself. At a party over the summer, something very unexpected happened which caused Melinda to have nightmare and never trust anyone ever again. All of her friends including her best friend abandoned in her because they thought she called the police at the party to ruin it but they were wrong. Melinda didn’t tell anyone about what happened at the party because she was afraid of what people were going to say about her so she kept it to herself and didn’t care about anyone else. I really liked this book because it was interesting how a so called best friend can just abandon in you without asking you if you are alright or try to help you with the situation. She just followed everyone else and stopped talking to Melinda and she was hurt by that. Out of 10, I would rate this book about an 8.5. That’s how good it is. But if you do not want to read the book there is also a movie to it called Speak as well.

message 5: by Nyasha (new)

Nyasha Howard | 8 comments In the novel Game by Walter Dean Meyers, high school senior Drew Lawson loves the game of basketball. He realizes that basketball is his ticket to college and possibly a future in the NBA. The game also shields Drew from the negative and sometimes dangerous influences that he sees all around him on the streets of Harlem. Drew must keep his cool during his senior year, however, when Coach Hauser begins to favor Tomas, a white player from Prague. Drew and Tomas develop an interesting dynamic of friendship and rivalry as the team progresses toward the state regional championship. In the end, Drew is able to showcase his skills and fulfill his dream of earning a scholarship to an excellent basketball school. I absolutely loved this book and can also relate to it in many ways because I've been through this situation before. Yet The threats to Drew's future never fully materialize, and Coach Hauser's motives for favoring Tomas are never made clear. So i was left somewhat confused but also wanted to read more.

message 6: by Jaquan (new)

Jaquan Jordan | 3 comments The book I'm reading is about eight complete strangers that were invited to a Indian island. The man that invited them was Mr.Owen. They all think their invited there to do a job but when they get there they find out why their there They've all been accused of committing a murder. As they talk they all realize that none of them know Mr.Owen. They began to think it's all someone else's plan. As the book goes on the characters began to die out.

message 7: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne Bryant | 8 comments Teenage Love Affair by Ni-Ni Simone is a urban novel that is centered around a young lady who is battling life as a urban teen. Zsa-Zsa is a junior is high school and finds herself in a abusive relationship with her childhood friend. The themes that are relevant in this book are Love , Self-Esteem , Family & Friends.  I enjoyed this book because the book inits entirety is extremley relateable. I recommend this book any pre-teen or teenager that is currently in middle school or high school. Anybody boy or girl can find a character to relate to in this novel. The author uses writing style as language that is effective in making you sympthazie with Zsa-Zsa. Zsa-Zsa goes through many characterization stages seen in this book that shows the relationship between change and growth. It took me roughly  month to finish this book and as I was reading I could picture everything that waas being described to me in the book in my head. The author has a great skill and use of imagery and with this usage of imagery it further helps the reader to sympatize, relate and grow to love the character. I addition to imagery playing a part in the character and reader's connection. This book starts of every chapter with a song lyric from hip- hop and R&B from the 2000's. These lyrics serves as a hint as to what the chapter is going to be about. This book is also very relateable to me because of of the music and the era that this book takes place in. The main character wears clothing that I remember being popular during the early 2000s which is also the year this book was published.

message 8: by Selena (last edited Dec 04, 2015 06:29PM) (new)

Selena B. | 5 comments The book The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is about a fourteen year old girl named Susie Salmon that is raped and murdered, she's in her own personal heaven as her family and friends struggle to move on. Her mother and her father are the ones who struggle the most with her disappearance, especially because they didn't know if they're daughter was actually dead, until time went by and they're daughter never was found they had to accept the reality. The good thing about this book is that when Susie's dad was starting to give up and break down, Susie gave him a symbol that she's still with them even though she's dead. Another great thing about this book is that Susie's dad didn't ignore the signals she gave him from the afterlife to help her make justice for her death. A person who lived so close to the Salmon's committed the crime. This book can be considered realistic fiction because this can happen in the real world and the grief the Salmon's are going through, families who experience something like this in the real world will react the same way. I recommend this book to anyone who likes suspense and mystery, the ending is something to look forward to!

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Mills | 5 comments The book Drama Queen Saga is about a woman who is in love with a two different men. One man cheated on her, and the other man she met at the club and eventually falls in love. The good thing about this book is that when she meets the other guy and has a one night stand, she eventually gets pregnant and has the other mans baby even though she is scared to tell her parents and him she finds the courage to do so. This book can be considered urban become it involves black people and a very confusing love triangle that you will love from the beginning to the end. I recommend this book to anyone that likes Urban Fiction because this book is something that once you start reading that you do not want to put down.