Park East Seniors 7th discussion

MP2 Book Reviews

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana Amoroso | 8 comments Now that you have finished reading your chosen independent reading, please post a REVIEW of your book in about 250 words. Avoid summary – we can find summaries of books all over the internet, but what is important is what you thought about your book! Please also be careful not to spoil the book for anyone who may choose to read it in the future – give us something to interest us, without giving away the whole story.

Due Friday, December 4th by 11:59:59

message 2: by Asia (new)

Asia | 7 comments For this marking period I have been reading a book called Paper Towns by John Green. John Greene is an amazing author; he also made the book called The Fault in Our Stars. It about a boy name Quentin Jacobsen and a girl named Margo Roth Spiegelman. Margo broke up with her boyfriend and wanted to get revenge. I didn’t get to finish reading my book but the parts I did read were really great. I really like the fact that even though the girl Margo was semi heartbroken she did not sit around moping and crying over this boy, instead she decided to get some revenge. I feel like this is a good example of what girls should do instead of being sad, they should just not be sad. I also like that even though the boy Quentin was in love with her when they were younger and he couldn’t get her because she went out with someone else, he still helped her. He did not want to because he was a good kid who never really got into trouble but he did it because they were good childhood friends and he wanted to be a good friend, he also wanted to try to get more close to her after the years they drifted apart. I really enjoyed the scene of them being inside the store and they had to pretend to be cousins, I seemed like they had lots of fun at that moment. This book is really great I would recommend it.

message 3: by Rafael (new)

Rafael Vasquez | 6 comments Throughout the 2nd Marking Period I have read the novel Push by Sapphire. Push by Sapphire is a book about Precious Jones, a 16 year old African American girl who has been abused her whole life by her father and mother, and was pregnant for the second time with her father's child. She has been kicked out of school because of her being pregnant and the school has decided to send her to an alternative school called “Each one Teach one”. As she barely passes the placement test and ends up in Mrs. Rain’s pre-ged class. Throughout her experience Precious finds out that she isn’t the only one who is going through obstacles in this world, as she meets Rita, Rhonda, and Jermaine who come from a troubled background . So far that is all I have read but the novel has been very intriguing so far and has left me with wanting to read more. I watched the movie Precious so I kind of know what exactly is happening in the book but there's so much more mentioned and included in the book that I did not know of before. The events in the book are very traumatizing and reading how Precious goes through and fights the obstacles she is facing is interesting and makes the reader want to continue reading to find out whether or not she is able to overcome all challenges. Although I can not relate to Precious's story it's still worth reading about. I would recommend this book to anyone, especially to those who are into teen novels or any sort of dramas.

message 4: by Amere (new)

Amere Mcgee | 8 comments For his semester I have read the book The Tyrants Daughter by J.C. Carleson. This book would be characterized as a very dramatic but interesting type of book. I say that because Laila who is the main character she lost her father and then her and her mom had to move to a foreign place that they had no idea was. So because of her dad being gone, Laila's uncle decides to take he leadership role for Laila and her brother and also her mom. The reason for me saying this book is interesting because since Laila dad had died it's very ironic for the uncle to be a father figure. Usually, after a death in most people's lives the mother has to deal with things on her own but in this book the uncle took that real. However, since that family had to move because after the father died they had to flee away to find something much affordable for the family. So they moved to Washington D.C., and they had absolutely nothing. While reading the book I figured out the mom had no job so it was basically the father who did everything for the family. He made sure they lived in a lovely house and got whatever they wanted. But since his death they can't afford the large and pretty things they want. Some parts of the book that were very dramatic was when Laila's mom started having an affair with a CIA and her daughter found out. If your husband had just died most people won't jump into relationships as fast as the mom did but they needed the money and she had to do whatever to get It. Now the best part about the book was the ending to find out that Laila's uncle had something to do with her fathers death and also her mother.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber | 5 comments Thought out my marking period 2 I have been reading Amulet escape from Lucien, by kazu kibuishi. In the book that I am reading they are in a new world trying to find something to defeat the elf kings in the last book. This book Is a continuation of the other book I read , this is telling you what happened after they went after the prince of elves. But in the book they uncover many secrets and how knowing those secrets puts both Emily and Navin the main character in a bad situation. There stakes are higher then they have been before. During this mission there will need to find out if it was a worthy mission or maybe it was a trap set by the elf king to bring them in an take them down. On there journey they will meet many people who will help them or try and kill them, but mainly they will be with there friends that will help them get through this all together and alive.. There are also creatures that will be trying to kill them in the process of there mission. They end up in bad very bad situations in which they are trying to escape someone that there trying to defeat ., and in the end of the book you don’t really know much because there will be another continuation to see what has happen, but you never know what will happen.

message 6: by Caress (last edited Dec 04, 2015 08:00PM) (new)

Caress | 8 comments The book Diary of a Wimpy kid The Last Straw by Jeff Kinney is a good book so far. The book is mainly about a kid name Greg who’s in middle school and in this book Greg comes up with so many weird or cool ideas but yet still gets bullied on or teases at by his older brother or fellow class mates in school. Greg lives with his Mom, Dad, older brother Rodrick and little brother Manny. His mom is pretty strict, his dad is sometimes grumpy, his older brother Rodrick is a jerk and his little baby brother Manny is basically a cry baby and spoiled. In the beginning of the book Greg try’s to be a better helpful person by helping people out with new year’s resolution but of course doesn’t work out because no one owns up to it. Everyone in the house is basically a mess to him and feels like he’s better than them. Greg also hates the fact how he realize he’s growing up and don’t get the nice things like toys he uses to for Christmas. He also hates how he can’t watch his shows at nights because his baby brother always wakes back up after being put to bed and have to watch what his little brother wants to watch. He and his best friend Rowley were pretty much the lames in their middle school. They always come up with ideas either to keep them from getting bored or make themselves more popular or to even try to get this pretty girl that everyone likes in their class. But so far this book is pretty cool and would recommend it to make you giggle.

message 7: by Jackaris (new)

Jackaris | 8 comments This story is based on Victoria Slade she seen enough unhappy endings to swear off marriage forever. That doesn’t mean she’s opposed to casual dating—just not with her cocky new neighbor, who is as gorgeous and tempting as he is off-limits. But once she agrees to take on his sister’s case, she’s as determined to win as ever even if that means teaming up with Ford. Ford Dixon is bent on finding the man who got his sister pregnant and left her high and dry. He’s willing to partner with Victoria, despite the fact that the beautiful brunette gets under his skin like no other woman. He might not be looking to settle down, but there’s no denying the scorching attraction between them. Still, the more time he spends with Victoria, the more he realizes that the one woman as skeptical about love as he is might be the only woman he could really fall for. This book so far is instersting because it involves a lot of drama . Anything with drama I am insteresting it .

message 8: by Zhane (new)

Zhane Jenkins | 6 comments Beneath a meth moon is about a girl named Laurel who just moved into a new town and meets new friends. Laurel is struggling with her past and she has been introduced to meth. Since she's started to use this drug she feels that it eases her pain away. Laurel is dealing with the lost of her mother and grandmother who has died in a hurricane. Laurel always faces these memories of her past that may sometimes haunt her. One day her father found out that she was using these drugs and he was extremely hurt to the bone to discover his previous daughter doing such a harsh drug, but laurel lied and said that the drugs didn't belong to her instead it belong to her friend, then the dad said he wanted to meet with the parents.

message 9: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Freeman | 6 comments My Book , Called "letters to A Young Brother" is By Hill Harper. Hill Harper is a former actor from the Show CSI-NY. Basically So Far The book gives info about regular Teen Issues, and advice on how to handle those situations the right way. He uses the book to answer to fan mail from his young teen fans and gives his constructive criticism for their problems. It's a great book and I recommend it to anyone whose into books On Advice And Overcome Minor obstacles that may be in your way. I just can't label what kind of genre this book is. It's Non-Fiction Because it's It's Real Letters Sent To a real person from real people. It can also be labeled as a biography because he uses his experiences to answer questions about the youth today. I feel like this Book Is What The Youth needs now. My generation is Depressed and lost and in need of help. He gives good guidance, which is what we need nowadays. I haven't finished the book yet, but I have good Intentions On Finishing. Some people may dislike the style of the book , but the style is what creates Uniqueness for The Book, Well At Least What I Think.

message 10: by Jada-faye (new)

Jada-faye Bennett | 8 comments This is based on a true story. A doctor takes the lengthy time and the difficult task of trying to open up a very abused, troubled young girl. As a toddler, a young girl was literally found by the police while her parents were cooking her alive in a frying pan. They’re both in mental institutions now, but the girl, Laura, is left seemingly deaf and mute. The title of the book “No language, no cry” means that since she is deaf, she cannot speak upon the things done to her. She doesn’t respond to almost any outside situations. She reacts to life as a vegetable meaning that she doesn't really know what to do. It takes the doctor a very long time to get through to Laura, but after a lot of work and revisiting her traumatic past, Laura wakes up. She still needs continual work to open up, but she finally recognizes her existence and is willing to work towards a better one. It’s almost a miracle that the doctor made such a breakthrough. The book goes on to explore her struggles growing up as a young girl that suffers from abuse and her ultimate breakthrough. It’s an inspirational story written by the doctor himself.