2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Life After Life (Todd Family, #1)
This topic is about Life After Life
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2016 > Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ZaraS (last edited Jan 12, 2016 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments This thread is to discuss Kate Atkinson's book, Life After Life.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants:
Caro, Zara, Abigail, Cynthia, Sheryl, Jennika

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're going. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 136 pages
Week 2: 136 pages
Week 3: 136 pages
Week 4: 136 pages

Caro (karopi) | 975 comments I started the book last year and leave it at around 100 pages... I will take it again and give it a second change, maybe I will enjoy it more. This month I decide to make an experiment and read by small bits multiple books (currently two for challenge) I will try to see if this option will work better for me this time. I kind of like it with heavy books like The Witches: Salem, 1692. For me is a really heavy book that I just can't read in a long go.

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Reading in small bits Caro is not a bad idea. This book has received mixed reviews as it doesn't appeal to everyone but that's the fun of reading something different and new don't you think?

Caro (karopi) | 975 comments Totally agree, that is why I decide to give it another shot. I remember when I was reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and that I almost give up until the page 140. I was not liking the book, after that all change and I really like the book. Hopefully something like that happen to me here.

Caro (karopi) | 975 comments Zara can we extend this to January? I just re start the book yesterday and have to re read it to pick up where I had left....

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Caro wrote: "Zara can we extend this to January? I just re start the book yesterday and have to re read it to pick up where I had left...."

Of course we can Caro. Consider it done.

Caro (karopi) | 975 comments Thanks! Now That I am re reading it I started to like it a bit better so I am glad I am re considering it!

Sheryl_at_Ubookquitous (ubookquitous) | 377 comments I'll join in - It on my list for a quarterly challenge, so this would be a good time to read it.

message 10: by *Layali* (new)

*Layali* (layalireads) I just recently got this one for my birthday, so I will read it this month as well! :)

message 11: by Caro (last edited Jan 03, 2016 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caro (karopi) | 975 comments Ok from not liking the book now I already jump to page 195... the chapters are now longer than before and the story starts to make more sense... I most admit took me a while to get use to Ursula's family and story with all the chapters starting over and over... This one is longer and goes deeper into the family stories (I am not spoiling anything, so do not worry about it) now I really want to know how the story unfolds... So happy I decide to give it a second chance!!

message 12: by Caro (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caro (karopi) | 975 comments So I am already in page 420 I think I will finish tomorrow... Is so good I don't want to stop but I have to work tomorrow... So far besides Ursula my favorite character is Izzie... I found her fascinating... Any thoughts?

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Caro wrote: "So I am already in page 420 I think I will finish tomorrow... Is so good I don't want to stop but I have to work tomorrow... So far besides Ursula my favorite character is Izzie... I found her fasc..."

Hi Caro,

I also liked Izzie because she was so very different from the rest of her family. I thought that Ursula's father wasn't that bad but her mother annoyed me with her 'stiff upper lip' attitude.

I'm glad you're now enjoying the book. It's really a book that either people seem to love or hate.

message 14: by Caro (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caro (karopi) | 975 comments And I finish the book two days ago... I read over 250 pages in just one seat (my back was in pain after this) . And so my comments about it are mixed, that is part of the reason why I still not write a review... And I do not love but do not hate the book, I am in the middle.. The concept is interesting but sometimes I was quite frustrated with the doing it again all over, also at the end was not completely clear for me what happen with Ursula.... I am tempted to read A God in Ruins to see if i understand it a bit better, but it will take me a while.... Ursula's father is a great character... Really like it...
But at the end I am happy that I finally manage to finish it.... Happy that I gave a second chance, probably this time I got it right.... :)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Congratulations Caro. Great effort

Brianna Peterson | 3 comments I was left wanting with this book. I enjoyed the concept and the in-depth character study but I felt there was a missed opportunity - something great the author could have done with this book that never materialized. I guess I just needed more. No regrets in reading it but definitely going in the "been there, read that, not going back" pile.

message 17: by *Layali* (new)

*Layali* (layalireads) I'll admit, I'm only about 40 pages in. This is reminding me of The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. While I enjoyed that book, it definitely took me a looooong time to finish it. It was still enjoyable, just slow going. It appears that I'm going to have the same reading experience with this one. I'll get there! One page at a time. :P

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments I'm not surprised about the mixed feelings people are having. This book can be quite devisive.

message 19: by Caro (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caro (karopi) | 975 comments Jennika wrote: "I'll admit, I'm only about 40 pages in. This is reminding me of The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. While I enjoyed that book, it definitely took me a looooong time to finish it. It was still ..."
The first time I started I stop in page 100 and took me a while to get back but I have this problem that I don't know how to abandon a book so I took it again. I read it in just a few days... But yes I do have mixed feelings about it...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.