2021 Reading Challenge discussion

A Christmas Carol
This topic is about A Christmas Carol
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2015 > A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ZaraS (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments This thread is to discuss Charles Dicken's book, A Christmas Carol.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants:
Winter, Lisa, Angela, Nadia, Veronica,Siewjye

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're going. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 26 pages
Week 2: 26 pages
Week 3: 26 pages
Week 4: 26 pages

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) This works for me. Thanks for posting it.

message 4: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. i'm probably going to start reading tomorrow!
i have a bind-up of several novels by dickens together, so my edition of a christmas carol only has 50 pages.

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) Angela wrote: "i'm probably going to start reading tomorrow!
i have a bind-up of several novels by dickens together, so my edition of a christmas carol only has 50 pages."

I'm starting tomorrow or Friday. I just pulled out my book and it only has 100 pages so this will be a quick read but I'm just going to pace myself.

Siewjye Chow (ssjye) | 54 comments I am reading this too this month!Is it okay if I am joining in?

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) Siewjye wrote: "I am reading this too this month!Is it okay if I am joining in?"

I don't see why not, the more the Merrier, get it MERRY-ER. Yes? no? ok, I think it's great you want to join. :D

message 8: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. i finished reading the story today! it was a reread for me, i first read it in 2013, i believe.
how are you all liking it so far?

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Of course you can join in Siewjye. Welcome. I've added you to the list.

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments I'm reading this as a buddy read with someone and so far I find it's OK. I found the beginning a bit repetitive though. However, I have to remind myself to stop being in a hurry to complete books and classics force you to slow down so it's a good exercise for me in that regard.

I was surprised by how short the book is as when I think of Charles Dickens I think of very long, big, wordy books that are highly descriptive (that's not a bad thing though. He does this so well).

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) Zara wrote: "I'm reading this as a buddy read with someone and so far I find it's OK. I found the beginning a bit repetitive though. However, I have to remind myself to stop being in a hurry to complete books a..."

I completely agree with you as far as being in a hurry to finish books, for me especially towards the end of the year. I remind myself that I'm missing something by trying to read so fast.

I read this book when I was small and after seeing so many variations of the movie I didn't remember how small the book was in comparison to the movie. I'm sitting here thinking, how is the movie so long. But I still enjoy it so it's fine with me lol.

Siewjye Chow (ssjye) | 54 comments Lisa wrote: "Siewjye wrote: "I am reading this too this month!Is it okay if I am joining in?"

I don't see why not, the more the Merrier, get it MERRY-ER. Yes? no? ok, I think it's great you want to join. :D"

Thank you =) =)

Siewjye Chow (ssjye) | 54 comments I will be reading it over the coming weekend. =)

message 14: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4528 comments Started this :) It's interesting because I have read like Donald Duck version, but never actually read the original ^^

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) Winter wrote: "Started this :) It's interesting because I have read like Donald Duck version, but never actually read the original ^^"

ha ha I never knew there was a Donald Duck version. How was it?

message 16: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4528 comments It is really sweet! It is in a Donald christmas book ^^

Siewjye Chow (ssjye) | 54 comments Finished the book a week ago. Didn't have time to update here. It was a short read, and it was a lovely story. Glad that Mr Scrooge changed his mind because Christmas is so a not-to-miss season. I started to watch the movie yesterday. I was only able to watch half before I fell asleep. The movie was really great! I love the way they actually follow the dialogues and flow from the book. It feels amazing to see the story comes to live. Merry Christmas everyone. May your Christmas and the holiday full of bliss, joy and happiness. Happy holidays and Happy new Year!!!

message 18: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4528 comments I hope I have time to watch it too!! Merry Christmas!

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments I love the movie. I watch it most years when it's broadcast on telly

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) I've watched so many variations of the movie. I recently watched the 1938 version on Netflix and it was funny to see how it compares to the ones nowadays. Overall, great movie and book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.