Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Lady in the Van
This topic is about The Lady in the Van
Book Issues > Book and play

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaye (last edited Dec 01, 2015 01:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaye (kaye16) | 5 comments I've just finished reading a Kindle *book* with this title, non-fiction, diary extracts. It's clear from the reviews that many people have read a play for the same title, probably a fictionalized account derived from the book, which appeared on stage (I think) and has been made into a movie.

My Kindle book, added to Goodreads via the Amazon->Goodread menu bar gadget, shows a different cover to what's shown at Goodreads. Goodreads doesn't show an ISBN, although there's clearly one in the book.

I'm puzzled about what's going on. Apparently the book and the play have been lumped together. Is this right?

The meta data on the book says it's fiction. But it's not fiction; it's extracts from diaries. My book clearly says in the front material that it's non-fiction.
I'm afraid to touch anything here, but find the current status very misleading.

How do you distinguish books from plays-based-on-books-loosely-or-otherwise???

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43496 comments Mod
The work in question has a number of different editions: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

There are several Kindle editions: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

None are obviously a play, rather than a book; if there are some which are the play, those editions should be separated from the others. Users may choose to review the play on the book's record -- not much to be done about that. (Some users review movies on the book records of the tie-in novels, too.)

Metadata on Goodreads like fiction or non-fiction is based on how users have shelved the book. The first genre listed for this book appears to be non-fiction -- 21 people appear to have shelved it that way.