Karen Chance Fans discussion

Zombie's Bite (Dorina Basarab, #0.1)
This topic is about Zombie's Bite

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) | 6027 comments Mod
This is a Dory novella.

Freya (violetdusk) | 645 comments Its there now if anyone wants to read it. like i am just going to

message 3: by Freya (last edited Nov 30, 2015 08:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Freya (violetdusk) | 645 comments That was AWESOME!!
I laughed so hard! And Kit you poor guy! Just Wow!
Someone else needs to read this novella just so I can laugh about it with them.
Here is the link http://www.karenchance.com/zombie.html

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol, Freya!

What a riot, especiallly when a certain master vampire became a nightmare of alliteration....."burnt, beaten and bloody.....and half-bald."

I hope it generates a lot of comments. I still can't quite decide if this was the first time that Dory's identity as Mircea's daughter was known. Time for a reread....

Freya (violetdusk) | 645 comments I think it must be the first time that Dory is known as Mircea's daughter as well Nancy.
Otherwise Marlowe would have heard of her before then. And he has files on other Dhampir so maybe Mircea was hiding her before then. You would think with the other killings she does that she would be more well known.
I wonder how many years before the other books in the series that this novella took place.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (nzlkat) | 1731 comments Ah god - loved it!!!!

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Oh gosh! :D Same! I haven't been this excited for a KC work for a looong time (sorry, RtW)... this is soo good! Also, I'm sorry but I'm super hyper now and I have to rant:

Marlowe on bloodsucking bugs = hilarious! "He hoped vampire blood gave them a sour stomach. He hoped it poisoned the lot of them. He hoped they’d rise after three days under his command." Just love to think that's the usual line of thought of our favourite grumpy spymaster! :D Imagine the reconaissance he could do with a fleet of vampire mosquitoes! :D

Also, "Thank you, Mircea, he thought viciously, but schooled his features into a slightly more benign expression. Or maybe not. Another image flashed, this time of him looking cross-eyed and constipated. He sent back an image of his extended middle finger, which stopped the flow of visual rebukes, but was exactly no help otherwise." ... now thanks to that, I can't stop thinking of the mental image ping-pong battles those two wage during Senate meetings!!! XD

Also, I loved it that even though it was a Dory story (lol), we got such a glimpse into Marlowe. Much more than the Gillian shorts, I dare say, including his human life and how loyal he is to his people and those he feels he has to protect ... I "aaaaawed" a little.

And I would have LOVED to see Dory vamp out on Marlowe, butconsidering she tried to keep him alive, I suppose it was better that she smoked Dorina to sleep. And damn, reading about Dory's internal conflicts about killing the vamps... and feeling sorry for Marlowe... lol... maybe Radu wasn't so right when he said in FK that they were all monsters to her.

Oh, and the end - just brilliant:
"Kit just stared at him.
“I can walk,” the dhampir protested, as he carried her from the cell. “More or less.”
“Perhaps this is my way of making sure I have you where I want you, for once,” Mircea told her.
Kit thought he might throw up."
LOL!

And I agree, it must have been the first time Dory "came out", so to say, since not even Marlowe had a clue old dhampirs existed, let alone that there might be one "sane" and operating in their territories. Dory also mentioned an unusual contract, coming from a Senate, since she usually avoids them - so she probably wouldn't have had opportunities to show up on their radar. Also, totally ironic that Dory dreamed about "future contracts, official ones, lucrative ones"... and in FK she ends up with a Senate seat! Be careful what you wish for, eh? xD

Anyway, loved it loved it loved it!

message 8: by K (last edited Dec 01, 2015 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

K | 63 comments So excited Dory's back!

I'm trying to figure out if Frick and Frack were in this story...

Marlowe is adorable but homicidal, like a cat. And I'm definitely seeing what Dory meant when she said 1st level masters were like armies.

I did think it was kind of weird that the chief spy didn't know Mircea had a dhampir in the family but someone in the Latin American senate did.

Finally - who thinks the Reverend was another of Jonathon's names?

message 9: by Zoltan (last edited Dec 01, 2015 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments K wrote: "Finally - who thinks the Reverend was another of Jonathon's names? "

Glad you liked Dory too, and yeah, those battles with Marlowe were intense! Way better than the Lawrence fight (even though he was 1st level too), since that was mostly mind-stuff and just weird. This one had gators! And swamps! And burning, and carpet-wrapped, and arm-broken and eardrum-ruptured Marlowe! Arck, amazing! xD

And I was juuuust going to post that question here, K!!! :D That was my first thought when I read it, but I was going to read it again and compare it with the Dory books if it could be him. Marlowe seemed unhappy about his involvement in FK when he discussed the zombie vampire attack with Dory and LC, and the whole vamp mind-control juice and instant-zombie-jars do smell suspiciously of Jonathon.

Since Dory didn't get a good look at his face, she may not have recognized him when they met again in the series, and it's also interesting that Dory remarks that the necromancer in FK (who they confirmed was Jonathon) called her by name and relation to Radu, something that "not a lot of people know of".

So it's possible that due to his interest in LC, Jonathon investigated his sire (Radu) and his family (Mircea, Drac, etc) and may have found out about Dory that way?

Freya (violetdusk) | 645 comments I did not think of that. It does sound like it could be Jonathon.
I wonder if there are any of those pills still around? Imagine if Cassie went on them! How far could she go back then! she might run into the dinosaurs. Lol...
The pills were separate from the control potion weren't they? And they weren't mentioned in the end. At least I do not think so.
I read it too fast first time round I need to re-read and get all the bits I missed.

message 11: by Kristen (last edited Dec 03, 2015 11:47AM) (new)

Kristen | 1074 comments Marlowe was the absolute best in this novella, I wasn't sure I was going to read it, but I'm so glad I did for the big part he played. And how he talked about dealing with emotion, and the death of his siblings, his baby sister in particular and how he saw her worth (being a girl in those days big thing) and how he was the only one that was kind to her and giving her his coat to carry. It was bittersweet. And it was clear he cared about Allan a lot more then just losing a master, and one of his vamps, the story of how he found him and raised him.

And his hate for Alejandro the monster, and not wanting to play nice with them. He got pretty testy when Mircea mentioned the man as a friend, I'm assuming to tease him. Marlowe does have a temper but Mircea doesn't mind poking at it.

Freya (violetdusk) | 645 comments For some reason I can't imagine Kit going at it with Snakes, I think its the way he refers to her as 'my lady' it seems more reverent than possessive. Sort of untouchable like he thinks of her as a goddess. That is just my impression though.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Gresham (kathleengresham) | 2637 comments @Freya, I agree. I think there is probably a LOT more we don't know about Marlowe, and I would love to read a novella focused on him---from his POV.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Marlowe was very interesting (and entertaining) in this one.

I would like annother one where he was the main character, scheming and spying brilliantly.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Kristen wrote: "Marlowe was the absolute best in this novella..."

Kathleen wrote: "there is probably a LOT more we don't know about Marlowe, and I would love to read a novella focused on him---from his POV."

Nancy wrote: "I would like annother one where he was the main character, scheming and spying brilliantly."

Agreed with you guys 100%! :D I wrote a review on ZB and I wasn't kidding when I said that the POV change was brilliant. While KC usually has female protagonists, her male POVs are surprisingly good!!! (rare amongst urban fantasy imo) Love the glimpses we get into secondary characters' minds in the shorts like Pritkin's or ZB for Marlowe (and Masks for Mircea was just sooo good and informative)!

Freya wrote: "For some reason I can't imagine Kit going at it with Snakes, I think its the way he refers to her as 'my lady' it seems more reverent than possessive. Sort of untouchable like he thinks of her as a goddess"

I see what you mean, he does always sound like he adores her and looks up to her and is fiercely loyal and grateful to his maker. However, that doesn't mean he hasn't reverentially worshipped her goddessly body at some point ;D (especially since we know Cleo has a thing for hot young vampire studs in her bed)

I think the idea came monstly from 1) Marlowe being said to have ulcers because Cleo refuses to put her safety first, and was said to like "powerful, complicated types." 2) somebody asking why Marlowe was so sexually frustrated and why he always acts as if he hasn't had sex in centuries, to which KC laughed and said that she doesn't know why people think he doesn't. 3) After being asked about Marlowe and Cleo, KC replied with her usual noncomittal "Lol" as opposed to No or whatever - and the rest was probably filled in by the fans' imaginations. But you're right, it's mostly speculation. But surely, the good kind? :D

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

One final reason could be that it is possible that Cleo Changed him for entertainment (playwrite!!) purposes and for bedroom service.

Male vampires have 'saved' beautiful human women in hundreds of books, perhaps thousands, so it's about time that a female vampire 'saved' an interesting human male from death to have an eternal lover. (Only 'cause Ming-de has dibs on Mircea.....and you know what a diplomatic nightmare that would be if Cleo took him for herself!)

It was a pleasant bonus that, when 'pushed', Marlowe also became the awesome and fearsome spymaster that Cleo needed.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Nancy wrote: "Male vampires have 'saved' beautiful human women in hundreds of books, perhaps thousands, so it's about time that a female vampire 'saved' an interesting human male from death to have an eternal lover."

Lol, heck yes! Equal rights and boytoys, who wouldn't support this idea??? Also, I can now totally see a convo between Cleo & Anthony!
*Cleo with sparkling eyes, cradles an unconscious Marlowe in her arms*
Anthony: No.
*Cleo bats her eyelashes and pops her fangs*
Anthony: NO.
*Cleo just grins and sucks Marlowe dry, and makes him a vampire*
*Anthony throws his ands into the air and stomps off, muttering something about wenches and his sexual prowess*

I like to think this was something of a routine, since Anthony wasn't in the least surprised by Cleo's "choice" of Mircea.

Also, Marlowe is so adorable. I'm sure Cleo patted his fuzzy little head a lot for being a gooood booooy (lol). He really seems like a puppy with his child-like loyalty to her and how flushed and special he felt when he talked about being made and pushed by "his Lady" :D It might not be canon, but I'm shipping it.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Answer to the earlier question about how long before the main series, 10 years I think it was set in the 90s, Dory mentions being 490. Marlowe was so good, another answer it's mentioned in the Gillian shorts that he was changed since the vampires had only just become interested in England and had no inside intel. Marlowe was a spy before he was turned. 400 years is a long time not to explore the possibilities when you share a mental connection ;)

message 19: by Oona (new)

Oona | 44 comments Yes I looooved this short! No wonder Marlow can't stand Dory! She broke his arm, burned him, feed him pills that gave him a migrane from sound AND got him thrown in the lock up/hoo haw which hasn't happend to him since, well, Gillan I think. And.. she bested him. Disappeared on him in the swamp. Oh, and let's NOT forget he had nothing on Dhampirs in her age (or any many for that matter) in his files. A hole in his intelligence of which he is soo proud. She showed him up. And Dory. Dory was magnificent. Wanting to work on commission for the Senate. Oh, the rich irony. When she up and becomes a senator after taking out monsters and protecting Cleo. Oooh, I'm chortling, snortin and wheezin with the giggles... Yummy story. I can't wait for the next 2 shorts. Oh, and I can't help it, I keep seeing Dory with Marlow, ROFL... roomantically. Kind like how cats fight before they mate....Arroow, arrroooow the poor male cat goes and the response: hiss hiss swat, claw bite and try to decapitate...yep. You know that means they secretly like each other, right? They'd make such a nice couple, wouldn't they? Both of them Paranoid, suspicious of their own shadows, sneaky underhanded and deadly at dirty fight'n.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Oona wrote: "Arroow, arrroooow the poor male cat goes and the response: hiss hiss swat, claw bite and try to decapitate...yep. You know that means they secretly like each other, right? They'd make such a nice couple, wouldn't they?"

I admit I laughed out loud when I imagined Dory and Marlowe going at it like that, with voices and all xD As for that ship, yep, there was certainly enough tension between them :D They kinda evolved into frenemies in FK already, maybe they'll have a love-hate romance in the next Dory book! Even though Dory claims his kisses did nothing for her... well, he's just gonna have to try harder, right? Also, imagine Mircea's face, lol.

message 21: by Oona (new)

Oona | 44 comments Yeah, well I am fostering 3 adorable 14wk old fuzzykins/furbles. The littlest one is a sweet fluffy purry little girl named Nerfertit, and she puffs her long fur up and does this funny sideways hop towards the biggest boy kitten Eno (who is pretty mellow and doesn't get Nefertiti's sense of urgency re: my immenent attack is incoming!) Then the 3nd kitten (male), Temu, Nefertiti's twin, comes tearing round the corner and throws himself in front of Eno with an endearing "I got this covered, bro" attitude. Then Nefer and Temu wind up wrassling, thumping, hopping on each other and squeeking when one bites too hard. Nefer gets frustrated (being smaller) and starts to growl at Temu and stalk him. At which point, Temu stands down and runs away. Meantime, Eno just sits and looks puzzled at the performance. You can sort of see the thought bubble hovering over his head "Guys its not worth fighting over, why don't you all just relax and chill out and play chase the string with me?". The whole thing sort of reminds me of the Dory and Marlow fight scenes ROFL...Of course, I was reading the story while watching the furbles frolic, so.... one influenced the other, LOL.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, guys, she had to admit that his technique was good.....she just was smitten by Eau de Paree!!!

Although my favorite contender has been Asshat (for seeing that arrogance reduced to groveling adoration), I could readily (greedily, actually) accept this pairing of Marlowe and Dory.

Oh, no! I totally forgot my favorite revenge pairing!
Dory and that wonderful party animal, Anthony. How's that for spitting in the eye of your former Enforcer and for gaining Mircea as a father-in-law?!?

Of course, Lady Dorina may fancy Zheng-zi, who did show her the proper respect........ and there's always Caedmon to consider.

Hmmm....I wonder whom I have left out?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

In the Dory 4 discussion, Elizabeth mentioned that the timeline on KC's website aligns it with The House at Cobb's End. That was just before Pritkin married (and consumed) his wife.

I thought that story was further in his past than ZB's time frame. Now, I am really confused.

message 24: by Oona (new)

Oona | 44 comments Well, I just read the stories then suspend my disbelief and try NOT to think about timelines, because it gives me amassive headaches when I do! But after this story I totally am shipping Dory and Kit though. :) I mean LC is handsome and all, but he is no match for Kit's complexity. And I just bet you Dorina (not Dory) would really like Kit's mind... ROFL...

message 25: by Zoltan (last edited Dec 13, 2015 11:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Nancy wrote: "Asshat ... Anthony ... Zheng-zi... Caedmon..."

Lol, love that distinguished selection! :D Plenty to choose from from Dorina/Dory too!

Also, this just occured to me randomly: since Dory is Mircea's child, and LC is Radu's "child", doesn't that make Dory and LC cousins? Keeping it in the family, eh? :D This redefines the literal and figurative meaning of kissing cousins, no? :D

P.s.: Also, Dory is older than LC! xD I want to hear a convo about this... perhaps Dory telling LC off to "stop lecturing me, pup" or something!!! Or during a Senate meeting, roll her eyes at him and just mutter "youngsters these days" under her breath :D

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Ragnarok aside, Senate meetings should be interesting now. What with Cleo playing the 'little Kit' blood control game with Marlowe for shits and giggles (thanks for that image, Lannister), Lady Dorina mentally controlling Lords LC, ZZ and Cheung into fierce rivalry, Mircea sending mental images into EVERYONE but Dorina and with Ming-de, Anthony, Parindra, and Alejandro kibitzing on the festivities, they will all probably be annihilated before Cassie can demand some cooperation from them in combatting Ares!!!

Claire (claire1) | 4451 comments I loved this story because In one of the main Dory books she mentions that Marlowe's animosity towards her personally came from a chase through a swamp...and now we got to see it!

You'd think Marlowe would have developed some respect for her by Fury's Kiss, after seeing what a formidable opponent she can be.

I think Dory/Marlowe is my new Crack!ship along with Dory/Aesubrand (better known as Asshat)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Dragon's Claw!

I can't wait for a (possible) early meeting between Dory and Ming-de or one of her masters. Maybe we'll find out why she was so rude to Lady Dorina by trying to invade her mind.

About the other cover images.......You could assume that the male is LC, but I think it may be Mircea. As I recall, Dory met LC for the first time when Mircea sent them both after Drac.

ZB is great, and I am SO looking forward to the next two Dory shorts.

message 29: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (last edited Jan 03, 2016 11:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

That was a great story. So much action and fun.

But poor Marlowe. It was a hard time for him.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I have looked for Lover's Knot on Amazon and Barnes & Noble in order to preorder, but haven't found it. Shouldn't it be up on those sites by now?

Is it out there, but I'm missing it somehow? If anyone has seen it, please let me know where to find it.......thanks.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments I think they will be published later. LK in April and the other one in the summer.

Joscelin (joscelineberle) | 53 comments Here's what KC said about them that I found on her website:

People have been asking me for two things for a while: get more stories out faster and give us Dory’s. So, in 2016, two more Dory novellas, to go along with “Zombie’s Bite”, will be published. The first, “Lover’s Knot”, will be out April 1 and the second, “Dragon’s Claw”, will follow in July. Unlike “Zombie’s Bite”, these are not freebies, but they will be priced very reasonably. I’ll announce preorders 90 days out, which is as early as Amazon allows them. Hope you enjoy.

She said she would announce it 90 days before for preorders but I don't think she's said anything about them yet. Im sure if you asked her she would give you an answer.

message 33: by Zoltan (last edited Feb 07, 2016 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Ah yeah those are the dates I was thinking of! Didn't realize she said anything about the preorders though, so... huh... 90 days ahead indeed! Nice catch you both, I wouldn't even have started looking for them until April :D. I hope you find out the news about the novellas and we can get them as soon as possible!

Joscelin (joscelineberle) | 53 comments Now that you mention it, I'm curious as to why the preorder isn't out yet. If you do ask and get an answer please share, otherwise I may ask her on her Facebook page myself.

And @Zoltan I had no idea that she was releasing one in April already until I looked it up. I expected it to be late in the summer. I myself wouldn't have started looking until she announced that they were available.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments I'll ask her, there's some questions I'd like to ask, so I'll use the opportunity to inquire about the shorts.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Ok, she answered (super quickly lol):

I would have posted them for preorder already, but Amazon won’t let me. They want the entire, edited version of the stories before they'll put something on preorder, which makes no sense to me. If I had the final form of the shorts already, why wouldn’t I just post them both now? Why make people wait? I didn’t know this when I promised the preorders before, but I do now. So let's revise this: you'll be able to purchase the stories in April and July respectively.

So I guess there we go. Good news is, she didn't mention a delay so I guess we'll still get them on time (yaaay), just won't be able to preorder.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Her answer is fine. I've been told that preorders are helpful to an author, so I was trying to preorder for that reason. I have preordered RtS, hoping that advance orders do help an author with her publisher.

Since the new Dory is a short, and inexpensive to boot, I guess it won't hurt that we can't preorder. I just hoped that a show of reader loyalty would benefit KC's status with her publisher.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Yeah I figured! If I hadn't forgotten about her preorder comment alltogether, I would've jumped those links as soon as possible too. :) But even though I know she gets irritated when we ask about when something will be out, I hope she took the early interest in the shorts exactly like you intended.

message 39: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new) - rated it 4 stars

I had a feeling it was you who asked one of the questions, Zoltan. Thank you!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I wonder if Lover's Knot is after Dorina becomes a Senator?

If it is, the title could indicate the beginning of the rough patch in the Dory-LC relationship. She doesn't look happy on the cover, does she?

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Ooh, yeah, I was thinking the same thing, as the man on the cover kinda looks like LC! But I think it's a bit early for their issues to start (or at least, I imagine the big falling out will have to be in a proper Dory book). Not sure if that's unhappiness, or just the model's face xD

The other thing I want to know is whether they are actually going to France (maybe some Senate issues, or to deal with LC's matters), or are they just going to take excursions into each other's heads again.

As for the title, I'm not too into it - but maybe "lover's knot" is a type of spell? That LC and Dory are going to fall into by accident and have a crazy adventure with? Or, it does refer to the bond between lovers, but not LC and Dory - maybe they travel to France to attend a bonding ceremony of LC's acquaintance/family member/friend? It would explain the fancy clothes and the Eiffel tower, and it would offer a cool opportunity to introduce the concept of vampire marriage and give us some info about it that way.

None of which prevents LC and Dory from having a conflict over their issues by the way; it would even make things more interesting :D

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

By the way, Lover's Knot is a famous quilt pattern that is still used today, sooooooo......I am hoping it (a quilt) hints of a lot of hot and steamy bedroom action!

It's cold, snowy and damp in this little corner of the world, and Winter has overstayed its time. Cannot wait until Spring, and a Dory story to brighten the day! That is one dynamic girl (of about 500 years or thereabouts), and I hope the Paris action is wildly funny as well as *cough stimulating cough*.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Oooh interesting! Didn't know about the quilt pattern! Regarding steaminess, I'm sure Dory will deliver. On second thought, "lover's knot" sounds like it could be a term for an elaborate position, no? :D

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

On second thought, YES! Lol, Zoltan.

(Still think Dory looks ..... discontented....dissatisfied...disgruntled...on the cover, while LC looks smug.) Wonder what THAT is all about!?!

message 45: by Zoltan (last edited Feb 25, 2016 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Hm, maybe her dissatisfaction has to do with being forced into a dress? (would apply to LC's smugness too, lol) Or to do with balancing on a gravity-defying sofa in high heels? Or maybe, since she's facing towards the room, it has to do with the new, "freshly destroyed" interior style - as the DIY sunroof on the wall suggests?
To be fair, they are holding hands though... in what has to be the most awkward hand-holding position of all time... the reluctant two-finger grip? Lol, what's that about?

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeppers! Lots to think about until April Fool's Day. Please God, not that. No, I will not go there.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Go where? :o

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

What if, on April Fool's Day, Lover's Knot is delayed? It is clear that, at the end of February, the final text is not ready.

But I believe, sincerely, that we will have D/D and LC in all their glory on time and ready to delight us with word and deed! Can't wait to see the new Senator, Lady Dorina, in action.

Zoltan Makacs | 549 comments Ah, I see! (sorry, I lost you there)

Ye gods, not that please, any potential mention of "delay" in the same context as any KC work gives me the shivers.

And yup, totally agree, and hope that your/our predictions will come true and it will be about some post-FK Dory and LC action!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

So, one month to Lover's Knot, and one month and a few days to RtS.......such a feast of KC talent!!!

So exciting to see what develops with the storylines that have been hinted at in previous books! Remembering Caedmon's statement that the Alorestri had a female ruler ("terrible woman, " he called her), I wondered if he and that 'terrible woman' were still married when they visited young Myrddin.

Then, too, it seems we will have the famous 'talk' that Cassie and Mircea really, really need to have. Cannot wait for it!

One more thing, and I will quit fangirling. Freya wondered if Mircea had hidden Dory from Marlowe, and I think she is right. In Death's Mistress, Cleo tells Mircea (about Dory) "A pretty little monster. I had forgotten about this one, Mircea." Now, how did Cleo vaguely remember about Dory, but Marlowe didn't know about her until ZB?

« previous 1