Westhill Consulting Travel discussion

Westhill Consulting Travel and Tours Jakarta Wishes Australia’s Travel Warning Eased

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yuan (new)

Yuan Hao | 2 comments Westhill Consulting Travel & Tours Singapore on INDONESIA has beleaguered Australia's strict warning concerning travel to the country, emphasizing it is time to lower the official advice or stop it entirely.

However Indonesia's ambassador to Australia, Primo Alui Joelianto, was cautious of the progressively sharper local debates on asylum seeker arrivals, declining to be drawn on whether Canberra's warning to ''reconsider travel'' to Indonesia sits at odds with the Government's hard work to send asylum seekers to the country.

''As neighbours our relations are up and down,'' Mr Joelianto said, ''but now our relations are the best of all time.''

He said he regularly asked the Australian Government to look again at the travel warning system, which ranks Indonesia only one step below the top level of ''do not travel''.

''If you put this travel advisory, Indonesia is punished twice. First, because we don't get any money from tourists, and, second, you create also a bad image of Indonesia,'' he said.

''If you cannot remove this advisory, at least you decrease or reduce the level. Indonesia is put in the same level as Afghanistan.'' Indonesia is in fact ranked one level below Afghanistan.

Mr Joelianto said Indonesia was committed to work with Australia to confront people-smuggling but there were limits to Indonesia's capacity to deal with the problem. ''Our territory, it is so big and so huge, [and] it is not easy to control every point of our territory. We have more than 17,500 islands,'' he said.

He said the countries of origin - singling out Sri Lanka, Burma and Afghanistan - bore responsibility too.

Mr Joelianto said the Indonesian Government was struggling to reduce poverty levels and that building enough housing in the country of more than 230 million people was a challenge. ''So if we have to provide again housing for these asylum seekers, that creates problems for us,'' he said.

Mr Joelianto had been in Melbourne for his first visit ever since taking up his post in February and agreeing with this weekend's Indonesian cultural festival at Federation Square.

For More Information:
http://westhillconsulting.info/
http://westhillconsulting.info/blog/

message 2: by Shane (new)

Shane Mcmillian | 4 comments News like this makes me wonder if it is really safe to travel to Jakarta, some articles really scares me.

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina Zimmer | 1 comments I really think it is perfectly safe. About the only thing to watch out for are pickpockets on public transports, some taxi scams, and Jakarta expats almost never travel on public buses anyway! ;-) Lots of great diving is available around Indonesia, but definitely NOT in or even close to Jakarta. Think taking a 2-3 domestic flight from there first. But generally, I never heard any major complaint.

message 4: by Gustavo (new)

Gustavo Alves | 2 comments Only times I've ever been pickpocketed anywhere was once in London - a camera nabbed from the back pocket of a backpack - and once in Spain getting on a crowded bus in Pamplona - the pick-pocket had to bail out when they discovered that there was a chain connecting the wallet in question to this large Cornishman! Now, what I am just saying is, it can happen anywhere.

message 5: by Odette (new)

Odette Tubbs | 1 comments I sometimes worry about this risk, I mean of travelling to Jakarta as an Aussie. Try and visit some travel tips website.

message 6: by Diego (new)

Diego Rigas | 1 comments I bet the relationship between the two countries is already patched up. I don’t think people of each country would mean harm on the other.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Dierman | 1 comments The government is already making ways to stop asylum seekers who go to Indonesia through boat which is their mode of transportation. I am living near the docks of Australia and have seen some people who travel by boat at night. I really thought they were pirates when I was little. I don’t see them anymore, fortunately.

message 8: by Shanon (new)

Shanon Grunwald | 1 comments You are right. The main mode of travel by asylum seekers is through boat. Through it though, scammers also ship illegal products so security should still be assured on ports.

message 9: by Marg (new)

Marg Ressell | 1 comments Asylum seekers in Indonesia already have decreased so I don’t think any government should make deal out of it.

message 10: by Claudia (new)

Claudia U. | 1 comments Why is it that in other countries, they are called migrants? In Australia and Indonesia, they are called asylum seekers?

message 11: by Rose (new)

Rose A. | 1 comments I really want to travel Indonesia with its pristine beaches and beautiful islands. However though, with all these issues emerging, I have postpones my plans hundreds of times

message 12: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Cote | 1 comments I cannot blame the government if they say they cannot control the smugglers and scammers that come into the country. There are more than 15000 islands in the archipelago. How can they possibly monitor it all?

message 13: by Kara (new)

Kara Venters | 1 comments I pity Indonesia. It will definitely cause a lot in their economy.

message 14: by Ayaka (new)

Ayaka Himura | 1 comments Indonesians are not entirely bad, you know. Each and every nation also has a downside.

message 15: by Amethyst (new)

Amethyst Read | 1 comments Fraudulent acts are done within the country itself. They shouldn't ban traveling in the archipelago.

message 16: by Lauris (new)

Lauris Puisans | 1 comments There are also scammers from other nation that enter the country. It may be that the security is lax?

unread topics | mark unread