Space Opera Fans discussion

Reader Discussions > Science Fiction Becomes Reality

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 886 comments Mod
Transparent aluminum:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/11/tran...

message 2: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 114 comments Well...calling it aluminum is rather dubious.

It's made from spinel, which is mined as a gemstone. Chemically it's magnesium aluminate. So it has aluminum in it, but also magnesium and oxygen (MgAl2O4 ... one part magnesium, two parts aluminum, four parts oxygen). Ergo, NOT aluminum. It's more oxygen than aluminum so you might as well call it solid oxygene!

It's still cool. A transparent ceramic tougher than glass.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Mauldin (jfmauldin) | 6 comments Transparent aluminum is a better headline, though. Either way that could be pretty useful in a myriad of applications.

message 4: by Tobias (last edited Nov 30, 2015 10:03AM) (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 66 comments Micah wrote: "Well...calling it aluminum is rather dubious."

Yes, because everyone knows it's called "aluminium"!

message 5: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 114 comments Tobias wrote: "Micah wrote: "Well...calling it aluminum is rather dubious."

Yes, because everyone knows it's called "aluminium"!"

Except Scotty, who is supposed to be from Scotland where aluminium would be correct. But no, he says "aluminum."

Which either proves Scotty's accent was fake after all...or that the US wins the future.

We ponder.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Will & Gracey! Back to the future!

[*sorry ... my geek is showing*]

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 886 comments Mod
Wasn't it George & Gracey? After the comedians?

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) It's been so long since I watched the movie that it's getting a bit fuzzy. I thought they named 'Will & Grace' from the comedy sitcom after the two whales? But it's been a long time. I SHOULD know the answer ... lord only knows my now-grown one made me watch that move a hundred times in a row.

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 886 comments Mod
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ge...

The movie came out in 1986. I think the sitcom 'Will & Grace' was after that.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) So George and Gracie it is :-) I had heard they named the characters in the sitcom after them, but who knows where I heard that from?

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) You guys DO know who George & Gracie are? Right? Right?

message 12: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 114 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "You guys DO know who George & Gracie are? Right? Right?"

Burns & Allen

message 13: by Betsy (last edited Dec 04, 2015 02:02PM) (new)

Betsy | 886 comments Mod
Yes, that's what I was saying. Dating myself terribly, of course.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Thank God! I thought I might be too old for this crowd.

message 15: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 114 comments You don't have to be old to know that reference, you just have to listen to The Big Broadcast (WAMU, American University's long-running old time radio show). RIP, Ed Walker. ;(

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I didn't know he died. I thought he just retired.

message 17: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 114 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I didn't know he died. I thought he just retired."

They announced his retirement one week and while he was in the hospital being treated for cancer, he recorded his last show (his idea to do that). The following week he and his family listened to his last show from the hospital and a few hours after, he passed away. Sad, but it was a storybook ending. He lived for radio.

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Oh, that is so sad. They interviewed him on NPR a few weeks back.