CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2015 Weekly Threads > Week 48- Childhood Memories

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 695 comments Mod
I am posting this thread a bit early as I will be at Walt Disney World this coming week. Going to Disney has made me think of my childhood. Books were a big part of my youth. I read a lot, especially books about dinosaurs or whales. I also had a love affair with Dinotopia, Nancy Drew, and Star Wars.

What were your childhood books? Was there one in particular that impacted you? Comment and share!

Dinotopia A Land Apart from Time by James Gurney Nancy Drew Mystery Stories The Secret of The Old Clock and The Hidden Staircase by Carolyn Keene The Rising Force (Star Wars Jedi Apprentice, #1) by Dave Wolverton

message 2: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Nancy Drew Mystery Stories The Secret of The Old Clock and The Hidden Staircase by Carolyn Keene
I loved Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (one of only 3 books in my life moved me to tears!) and the Nancy Drew books. My favorite is still the first one, The Secret of the Old Clock. I also liked the Bobbsey Twins and Cherry Ames series.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 443 comments I loved Little Women, Eight Cousins, and Under the Lilacs (all Louisa May Alcott). I also loved Nancy Drew (especially The Secret of the Old Clock), The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and one summer even read almost the entire series of Trixie Belden (despite being at summer camp while doing this). I still think the books that had the biggest impact would have to be The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Little Women (Little Women, #1) by Louisa May Alcott Eight Cousins (Eight Cousins, #1) by Louisa May Alcott Under the Lilacs by Louisa May Alcott Nancy Drew Mystery Stories The Secret of The Old Clock and The Hidden Staircase by Carolyn Keene The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1) by Julie Campbell
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Lord of the Rings- 3 volumes set by J.R.R. Tolkien

message 4: by J (last edited Dec 03, 2015 11:51AM) (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
I wasn't a big fan of reading when I was a child - My favorite books were Go, Dog. Go! and Are You My Mother? - this is one of the major reasons I can't be too angry at my child for not wanting to read. In fifth grade I read Bridge to Terabithia and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and loved them... but that is the extent of my childhood memories until 7th grade when I picked up Flowers in the Attic.
Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews

Oh my gosh - how could I ever forget Wait Till Helen Comes
Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn