What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-fi/fantasy about a woman who can change into a man

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments Read this book in the 90's may be as old as the 70's tho.
Book about a dystopian future and the MC is a genetic experiment that can shift back and forth from woman to man using hypnosis.
He/she goes out into the world as a man and spreads his seed around the various towns and villages.
As a female she raises her own children/genetic experiments in the lab she was grown/born in.
Her children are able to shift at will and into other animals as well as change sex. This frightens and angers her.
I never finished it. It was a library book and I couldn't remember the name in order to get it again.
The cover had like half a butterfly on it (i think) and the title may have had something to do with butterflies or metamorphosis.

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil Cannot wait to hear the answer. Wish I had one for you!

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments Bump for finding it.
Really want to finish reading it

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
The Morphodite series possibly? It was a trilogy and I think (but am not positive, since I didn't read it, just the first 2) that you are describing the third book.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments Not the morphodite although it does seem to have some similarities. Thanks though.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments I remember that while he/she could only go back and forth from man to woman and that had to be hypnotically induced from a computer (may have been AI) the children could shapeshift into other animals as well as humans.
I think towards the end it came out that she also had that same ability but was psychologically blocked due to her upbringing.
I also think the title was one word.
Hoping someone can help

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments one of Octavia Butler's books, perhaps (sorry, am on phone and can't do links)? kindred maybe

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 763 comments I thought Octavia Butler too, but possibly one of the Patternist series.

message 9: by Kris (last edited May 14, 2017 06:33AM) (new)

Kris | 32291 comments Mod
Kindred by Octavia E. Butler - Michele's suggestion

Patternist series by Octavia E. Butler - Sue's suggestion - www.goodreads.com/series/55489-patter...

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments No, I thought about Octavia Butler as I have read some of her books, but it's not her. I think this was a one off for the author, I had never heard of the author when I picked it up in the library. What's funny is that tho I can't remember the book, I know exactly where it was on the library shelves. It was in Sci-Fi/Fantasy near the end of the alphabet after S. If that helps any. Also I am pretty sure the cover was grey.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1709 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I know exactly where it was on the library shelves."

Same.

I usually include a little bit on both ways, just in case I missed it by a bit. That helps narrow down the author's last name. I'd edit the first post to include this tidbit. Do you know the range? S-U? S-W? S-Z?

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments The author was between s and z. I think it was v or w but not sure. I think the title was something like Chrysalis.

message 13: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments I remember this book but cannot remember the author or title either.

Now I too want to know what book this is.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments Blue wrote: "I remember this book but cannot remember the author or title either.

Now I too want to know what book this is."

@ Blue, do you have any additional details to add to mine? might help someone else remember author/title.

Thanx

message 15: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments Unfortunately no I don't. Everything you mentioned is what I can remember.

Other than I think the butterfly might have been purple in colour on the cover?

message 16: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments bump

message 17: by Ayshe (last edited Oct 19, 2019 07:46PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4122 comments The Silent City maybe? The second book's cover:In the Mother's Land may be the one you're remembering. I found it on this "Gender Change Fiction" list: https://www.datapacrat.com/Art/Fictio...

message 18: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15777 comments Still looking, Elizabeth?