Real Christian discussion

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

M.K. Aneal (mkaneal) | 6160 comments Mod
Okay y'all!! Here we go *fastens seat belt* No I'm kidding xP Anyways, I've been vanished but tonight I will have the weeks and people to do them ;P Caitlyn has the first week :D
This will be Great ;D

message 2: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

W eeks are:

Cait- 1st week of December
Haley- 2nd week of December
Sophie- 3rd week of December
Me ;) - 4th week of December
Tamara- 5th and last week of December

((:

message 3: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 103 comments »»INTRO:

Given the fact this is the first one to be done and there's nothing to follow, I suppose I'll just see how this goes. It should come to no surprise to anyone who knows me that I changed my song numerous times. With a large pool of songs to choose from, I wanted to pick a good one, especially since it would be the first one. It's pretty ironic how I ended up picking this song actually. A few days ago, I heard it for the first time and it caught my attention. There was something about it that made me think, however, no matter how hard I tried, I could not figure out what the song meant. Normally, I can easily discover a deep meaning plotted inside the lyrics, so the fact that I couldn't figure this one out frustrated me. Now, I had narrowed it down to what artist I was picking, but not which song. I felt like I could do this cute song, and I was going to, but for some reason I kept changing my mind. I knew I had the first week and all I'm thinking is 'great. I need this done in a few days and I can't stick to a song. What kind of a way to start this thing?' I let MK know that I had picked a song and then I told her how I had changed it yet again, but I wasn't sure if I'd keep that one either. She said to pray about it and here's where things get funny. So I had my phone on shuffle and so I did pray like 'okay God, let's see what song should I pick? How about the next song that comes on by the artist I chose will be the one I do? Sounds good, so pick whichever You want me to do.' And don't ever let anyone tell you that God doesn't have a sense of humor, because what song ends up playing? The ONE song I can't explain. I was like 'is this a joke? I can't do this one. I know all the other songs. Just not THIS one.' So I just kinda shook my head and decided to go back to my original plan and make life easy. The next day, I heard the song again and it still had me thinking. What could this song mean? And then suddenly it clicked and I was shocked. I told MK right away that I was changing my song yet again, but this time I was going to do that song I couldn't explain because now I understood it and it was beautiful. So that's just a little backstory that I'm sure wasn't a coincidence. I've said enough already though, so let's get started.

SONG: Fighting For - Hawk Nelson

»»BACKGROUND:
Hawk Nelson is a Christian band that has been around for a while now, though they got their new lead singer, Jon Steingard, and new sound in 2013 after their original lead singer, Jason Dunn, left the band. They are most known now for their singles Words(2013) and Drops in the Ocean (2015). The song Fighting For was from their 2013 album titled Made.

»»LYRICS:

"We decided to take a chance
Took a breath and promised it
Headed where we'd never been before
Don't stop to take our time
Just put your hand in mine
No place too far for us to go

It's easy as open up, open up the door
Together, we open up, open up the door

Oh, we'll cherish the time that we're sharing
'Cause we're not kids anymore
And oh, we won't just forget when we promised
It's you I'll be fighting for

Wrongs turns and winding roads
More than we bargained for
We chased the light under the stars
Hard lessons learned in time,
But I'm yours and you are mine
Out here, we're finding who we are

Oh, we'll cherish the time that we're sharing
'Cause we're not kids anymore, oh
And oh, We won't just forget when we promised

We said we'd remember that we'd never be too far
When you reach for me, I'll find you where you are
There is nothing you have to convince me of
There is no way you can hide from my love
From my love
From my love

And oh, we''ll cherish the time that we're sharing
'Cause we're not kids anymore,
And oh, we won't just forget when we promised
It's you I'll be fighting for"

»»MEANING:

It took me some time to figure out who "we", "I" and "you" were. After careful consideration, I believe that:
We = God and us
I = God
You = us

So it says we decided to take a chance with God and promised that we would follow Him. In doing so, things begin to change and it's clear that this change is for the better because it says how we're not wasting any time and we're trusting God all the way. The positive outlook is evident, especially as we enter into the pre-chorus which explains how accepting Jesus is as easy as opening up a door.
While it is showing our dedication to God, it is also showing that there is a partnership with God rather than just a one way road. That is why there is a lot of use of the words "we", "us", and "together". The partnership is beautiful.

The chorus reads:

"Oh, we'll cherish the time that we're sharing
'Cause we're not kids anymore
"
This shows that either there is a spiritual maturity that has taken place or simply pointing out the we grow up and often lose that child-like faith.
"And oh, we won't just forget when we promised
"
However, we don't forget about the promises of God. It says "we" promised, because while God promised, we ultimately have to chose to believe in His promises. Promising to never forget God's promise is what "we" are doing as God reminds us of His promise that He'll always fight for us.

Going into the next verse, you can see that life isn't always easy and unexpected things can occur and threaten our trust in God. But He says, "I'm yours and you are mine
Out here, we're finding who we are"
. That's significant because it's talking about finding our identity in God, which becomes more distinct through our problems.

Even further still, the bridge:
"We said we'd remember that we'd never be too far"
- Too far for what? Too far from His grace. His promise includes that "When you reach for me, I'll find you where you are
There is nothing you have to convince me of"
, because
"There is no way you can hide from my love".

Promises are tricky things. People lie and people change, but God is the truth and remains constant, along with His promises. So when He says His promise is that He won't ever stop fighting for us, the least we can do is honor that promise by remembering that through it all, and that is what the song is saying.

message 4: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Ohhhhhh, now I know exactly why the Lord led you to change your song!! xO xD x)
I have heard this song Soooo many times, and I often wondered what it meant, although I never took too much thought into it. My unknowing of the song made me not like it very much; a many a time I'd just turn the channel. Now, I see! How beautiful it is!!! Such an inspiring meaning and thoughts all wrapped up into a message!!! WOW!! I'm at awe that you pulled that out of it!! Haha, that was amazing and truly something that touched me personally!! Taking God's promises and trusting in Him is hard, and something I forget all the time, and struggle with- His promises never change, although life does at an increasingly scary rate!! This is amazing, thank you Cait!!!!! <<<333

message 5: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 103 comments See, I didn't understand the song either, but that made me want to hear it more XD

message 6: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (last edited Dec 02, 2015 08:22PM) (new)

Exactly!!!! Haha really? I have a problem where if I can't explain something, I usually forget it xP Now, I will be playing that song on repeat xP xD
Hahaha

message 7: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 103 comments Awesome ;)

message 8: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

:D

message 9: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Amazing insight Cait, you did an awesome job :))

message 10: by Danny (new)

Danny Deaubé (dannyldeaube) | 194 comments Cαiтℓуn ~ Shout out to the dreams you'll chase ~ wrote: "»»INTRO:

Given the fact this is the first one to be done and there's nothing to follow, I suppose I'll just see how this goes. It should come to no surprise to anyone who knows me that I changed m..."

Great song Caitlyn and your insight!

message 11: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 103 comments It is and thanks :)

message 12: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Deeper Than The Sound

12- 22- 2015

I chose a Christmas song for such a week as this ((:

I prayed about this and I kept singing this song, so I figured this must be the one God had in mind!!

This is one of my all time favorite Christmas carols, and for good reason! This song I will relay is such an interesting thought, and it makes me look deeper!

“It Came Upon a Midnight Clear”

It came upon the midnight clear,
That glorious song of old,
From angels bending near the earth,
To touch their harps of gold:
"Peace on the earth, goodwill to men
From heavens all gracious King!"
The world in solemn stillness lay
To hear the angels sing.

Still through the cloven skies they come,
With peaceful wings unfurled;
And still their heavenly music floats
O'er all the weary world:
Above its sad and lowly plains
They bend on hovering wing,
And ever o'er its Babel sounds
The blessed angels sing.

O ye beneath life's crushing load,
Whose forms are bending low,
Who toil along the climbing way
With painful steps and slow;
Look now, for glad and golden hours
Come swiftly on the wing;
Oh rest beside the weary road
And hear the angels sing.

For lo! the days are hastening on,
By prophets seen of old,
When with the ever-circling years
Shall come the time foretold,
When the new heaven and earth shall own
The Prince of Peace, their King,
And the whole world send back the song
Which now the angels sing.

Perhaps, you need some history on this song here ((:

This carol so well known, was actually at first a poem, written by a man named Edmund Sears during 1849.

(From Wikipedia)

Sears served the Unitarian congregation in Wayland, Massachusetts before moving on to a larger congregation in Lancaster. After seven years of hard work, he suffered a breakdown and returned to Wayland. He wrote It Came Upon the Midnight Clear while serving as a part-time preacher in Wayland. Writing during a period of personal melancholy, and with news of revolution in Europe and the United States' war with Mexico fresh in his mind, Sears portrayed the world as dark, full of "sin and strife," and not hearing the Christmas message.

Sears is said to have written these words at the request of his friend, William Parsons Lunt, pastor of United First Parish Church, Quincy, Massachusetts for Pastor Lunt's Sunday School. One account says the carol was first performed by parishioners gathered in Sears' home on Christmas Eve, but it is unknown to what tune as Willis' familiar melody was not written until the following year.

This poem was written in a time of hard reapings. A war was waging, heartache was deep, and pain was known. Yet, in this sadness and worrisome hope, a song was written! Seems quite a time as this.

Now to the analyzing:

It came upon the midnight clear,
That glorious song of old,
From angels bending near the earth,
To touch their harps of gold:
"Peace on the earth, goodwill to men
From heavens all gracious King!"
The world in solemn stillness lay
To hear the angels sing.

When the Lord Jesus was born it was so clear, for God had a plan, there was no confusion about it! God had an almighty plan laid out clear and present- God is not like us and in need of maps for guidance, He is the guidance and He is always in control!

This miracle on Christmas day was the most glorious of any story ever- this is the truth- our hope! This song is also one laid out from the beginning of time!! All through the Bible the people of the world was told God's great plan for one night! They began to wonder, then to believe God was no longer there and His plan was no longer in tact, but the Lord Jehovah is always the same; He never leaves, and His plans always stay! What God tells you, will be!!

The angels knew of this plan, and sang it to us!! They wanted us to know how great our God and King was- so we should also praise His name!! They used music to show us His glory and this wonderful story was told!!

Our King is gracious always!! The world, stops to hear this story! Whether we look around at Christmas time to see the beauty and love people show; even non- Christians show a care and hope like never before!! This is God- we know that Jesus is Lord for we know His name, throughout the earth two thousand years after His death His name is still proclaimed!!

Even now, let us listen and hear this song!

Still through the cloven skies they come,
With peaceful wings unfurled;
And still their heavenly music floats
O'er all the weary world:
Above its sad and lowly plains
They bend on hovering wing,
And ever o'er its Babel sounds
The blessed angels sing.

Even though this world grows darker and sadder each day this song, the Gospel of Christ, is still heard among the world!! It reaches down to the saddest, most darkest places and heals the broken, brings peace to the needy, and helps those longing for love!! It will always be told, because Christ will always be Lord!!

The glory of this song, The Gospel, is of peace! The angels that tell us this beautiful story are coming in peace! People say they want world peace, and one day that will be, but, not as they imagine for Jesus is the source of peace and only with His peace can the end of pride and evil be vanished! However, this weary sadness overtakes the world and still the Gospel will be spoken and hearts set ablaze!

Even on the deepest sadness the angels will tell of God's grace and power, for they know this is the way- the only way- to true joy!

They bend on hovering wings for they want us to take notice, this is important- immediate- we receive this news!

This here got a bit more complex, I believe he is speaking of the tower of Babel, but let it be known this is my personal and only personal opinion. Haha. The tower of Babel spoken of in the Bible was a place created to make it beyond the heavens. The people there thought they were good enough as gods to be above the heavens; they wanted a name, and yet they didn't serve the only God who could truly give them a legacy! They were prideful and evil of heart, not thinking of God, forgetting their purpose! Today the same is shown; people search in vain to leave a legacy by chasing education, money, fame or fortune and in their quest their forget about the One who truly cares about them! Even over this sound and madness the Gospel is sang to us, maybe to stir us from our insanity!!

O ye beneath life's crushing load,
Whose forms are bending low,
Who toil along the climbing way
With painful steps and slow;
Look now, for glad and golden hours
Come swiftly on the wing;
Oh rest beside the weary road
And hear the angels sing.

In life we get buried beneath these worries, fears, challenges and threats and became trampled! If we were to look to Jesus we would have been able to be guided back to life and out of these worries, but in our haste we forget He is there!

We slowly make it through life because we are slowed down by our burdens, never being touched by the Spirit of God! We grow weak and weary in our struggle, bending low! It is painful and terrible for we are alone in our horrendous battle!

We need only to look, for the good news is given, even sang to us by the angels, still overhead!

Just take the time to listen and rest, you will know what you hear, and this will bring you the only hope known to mankind!

For lo! the days are hastening on,
By prophets seen of old,
When with the ever-circling years
Shall come the time foretold,
When the new heaven and earth shall own
The Prince of Peace, their King,
And the whole world send back the song
Which now the angels sing.

The days in which we live are coming and going, so fast and so quick, never stopping. We don't have much time to hear this Gospel and get saved, we only have our one life, we are told to hurry for we don't have much time! The prophets have known of this also from the beginning of time and told us! The time will soon, so soon, come when the Lord Jesus, the Prince of Peace, will come to rescue us, His children, and then the new Heaven, made for us will be here, only for the ones who received His salvation, given freely to us all! Then we shall all bow our knees to praise the only true and righteous God forever and ever!! We shall all praise His name and sang this heavenly song!! The Lord is our King, and without this first Christmas song we would've never been given a chance at true living!!

Accept Jesus Christ’ gift to you- open your heart and let Him in!!

This song relates to us so very much, we don't have much time- look to HIM!! He is our peace!!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

~M.K.

message 13: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 103 comments Cool, never heard of the song before.

message 14: by Magnus (new)

Magnus nice choice of song

message 15: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Thanks y'all ((:

@Cait- Oohhh, you haven't? *shocked face* Lol

message 16: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments I love that song, MK. I've heard it a lot, but thanks for making me actually stop and think about the words :)

message 17: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) That was very awesome and amazing MK!! Great job! So I have next week right?

message 18: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Awww, thanks Karis and Tamara <<3 Y'all just made me cheer ((; Haha

You sure do Tamara ((; Know what song you have yet? xP

message 19: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Uh, unfortunately no, I'm kinda stuck as a matter of fact, been trying all month to think of one...

message 20: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 103 comments Do what I did.

message 21: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I just might

message 22: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh gotcha xO Yeah!! Do what Cait did (((;

message 23: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) After a couple weeks of racking my brain for song ideas I finally decided on the song that is currently my favorite. There are a couple reasons I chose this besides it being my favorite.
1. Most of you probably haven’t heard it and I wanted to introduce it to you
2. Since I love it so much I think it would enlighten me to study it a little more
3. It’s very relatable, and I think it would also help you to know more about it

To start of, I think I should give a little background on the band and song/album. Since it’s not well known, I think it would help for you to know the history, especially of the band.
Thousand Foot Krutch (TFK), is a Canadian Christian alternative rock band. The lead singer Trevor McNevan says that the name is "symbolizing the point in our lives that we realize we can't make it on our own strength". The band currently consists of four men: Trevor McNevan (lead singer), Steve Augustine (drums), Joel Bruyere (bass), and Ty Dietzler (touring guitarist), all of whom are Christians.
The band was formed in 1997, with Trevor McNevan as the founder. So far they have released eight albums. The album that the song “In My Room” comes from is their newest and best album (in my opinion) to date. The album is called OXYGEN:INHALE and was released in August 2014. It was their first album to include songs with lower volume and slower tempo, straying slightly from their more rocky beats. In My Room is just one of those slower songs and I find it to be one of their most moving songs.
Here’s a link for the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOT0e...

Now, to get to the lyrics and the meaning behind them...

"In My Room" lyrics by Thousand Foot Krutch

They say that You created all,
My voice must sound so small,
In between heaven’s walls,
But they said You knew my name

And they say that Your love has no end,
And that You can heal the past,
With just one touch of Your hand,
Does it matter if I was to blame?

I've been trying to erase myself
By trying to be someone else
They say there's no hope for me
I guess this must be hell

They make me feel so empty
Their words, they cut like knives
You tell me to forgive them
But I'm not sure I'll survive
I'm not sure if this is a good time
Or even if You're home
It's a long, long way from Your throne but...

Can You meet me in my room?
A place where I feel safe
Don't have to run away
And I can just be me
A place where I feel strong
A place where I belong
And I can call my own
I wait for You...

They say You're always there, You never leave
Even when we don't believe
And that sounds like love to me
I know I couldn't do the same

And they said that you can see my heart
Then you already know I'm falling apart
That's why I hide here in a dark
So no one has to see my pain

I've never prayed, so can we just talk?
Don't wanna put You on the spot.
But can You bring the keys to my heart
And help me find the way?

They make me feel so empty
Their words, they cut like knives
You tell me to forgive them
But I'm not sure I'll survive
I'm not sure if this is a good time
Or even if You're home
It's a long, long way from Your throne but...

A place where I feel safe
Don't have to run away
And I can just be me
A place where I feel strong
A place where I belong
And I can call my own

Won't You meet me, meet me in my room
Where there's no one else allowed but You
I've been waiting for so long to meet You
I'll be waiting...

Won't You meet me, meet me in my room
And there's no one else allowed but You
I've been waiting for so long to meet You
I'll be waiting...

In my room...
Won't You meet me, won't You meet me in my room
I'm all alone, and I'll be waiting.

The initial message I get when reading the lyrics is of approaching God just the way you are, and not trying to hide behind eloquent words and long drawn out prayers. I feel like this is only a part of the message though. I don’t know about you, but when I feel the music and really listen to the words, I get a feeling of God’s power and my total helplessness in His presence. And this is not a bad helplessness either, for I also feel God’s control, peace, and strength.
When you hear the words, “And they said that you can see my heart, then you already know I'm falling apart. That's why I hide here in a dark, so no one has to see my pain,” It can seem pretty depressing. But it goes on to say, “Can You meet me in my room? A place where I feel safe, don't have to run away, and I can just be me. Can You meet me in my room? A place where I feel strong, a place where I belong, and I can call my own,” it seems much more redemptive, and sounds like it’s focusing on the power of God and how He can change us.
The only thing I can’t relate to in this song is the fact that the person in the song is wanting to “meet” God in his room. I share my room with four other sisters, so that would not be the place I chose. But of course that’s a very minor thing, and of course God doesn’t care where you “meet” Him, as long as you’re approaching Him with sincerity. I would probably change the words for me personally to “Can you meet me in my closet?” And even then, I wouldn’t feel entirely private.
I also think this song may be referring to a non-believer who has recently been convicted. Just the fact that they’re saying they don’t know how to pray, or that they’ve been waiting to meet God says that they have not been a Christian for long, if at all. Now this fact does not interfere with the message at all, it just adds to how moving the song is. This is something that you could or could not relate to, depending on how long you’ve been following Christ. But this song is for everybody, and everybody can get something out of it.
As a finish I’d just like to say that the essence of this song is that you dwell on heavenly things instead of earthly things. Don’t worry about what people say of you or do to you, that is not what really matters in the end. What really matters is your relationship with Christ and how you approach Him. Don’t be formal or stiff with God, be sincere, honest, and totally open with Him. Only when you surrender all to Him through the power He has given you can you truly be healed and forgiven!
So now, if you haven’t heard this song I encourage you to click on the link if you haven’t already or listen to a part of it on iTunes if you have it. Oh, and buy it if you can! ;) God has really used this song to impact me in many ways, I hope that it does the same for you!

message 24: by Tamara (last edited Dec 28, 2015 02:10PM) (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I didn't end up doing what Caitlyn did because I thought of a song pretty soon after. :)

message 25: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Wow! Oh, wow, that was terrific!!! I can relate to that so!! Its hard to explain but reading those lyrics made me look back upon when I first met my Jesus, in my room! I was so scared and didn't believe He could hear me, but, He did!! That was so beautiful <3 So wonderfully put Tamara!!!! Great work :D

message 26: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

PS. I had heard of Thousand Foot Crutch and actually had one of their albums from the 2000s but I didn't know they were still going xD

message 27: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Thanks MK! I'm so glad you were able to relate!!! And yes, the band is still going strong, I got to see them live last year, and they have a new album called EXHALE coming out soon!!! I can't wait!!! You should buy some of their newer songs! :) Also, if anyone has anything else to add about this song please feel free to share it with us, I may have missed something important about the lyrics...

message 28: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Always ((:
Wow!!!! That's terrific :D I will definitely check into it!!! they sound pretty great ;D

message 29: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) They are, but if you don't like rock you may dislike most of their songs.

message 30: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh gotcha!! Haha, I may xO

message 31: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 103 comments To be honest, I just couldn't get into their new album >.< I liked Welcome to the Masquerade and The End Is Where We Begin best.

message 32: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) A lot of people say the same thing, they didn't like that they changed some things up. Personally, that's why I liked it, I like variation and it definitely gave me that. The End is Where We Begin is still my favorite too though. :)

message 33: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 103 comments I haven't tried to listen to the new album again, so I'll give the song you picked a shot.

message 34: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Okay ;)

message 35: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 103 comments That was actually very nice. I should probably give the album another shot.

message 36: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Yaaaay!!! I think you should!!! ;)