Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Historical Fiction - December 2015

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5865 comments Mod
In December we will be reading the Historical Fiction winner,All the Light We Cannot See as a group. Have you read any of the other nominees for the Historical Fiction award? Which have you read and what did you think? Did it deserve to be nominated? Which was your favorite? Do you plan to read any of them in the future? Discuss here!

message 3: by thewanderingjew (last edited Nov 29, 2015 06:26PM) (new)

thewanderingjew | 96 comments The Invention of Wings-5 stars
Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy, #3-2 stars
The Miniaturist-3 stars
The Museum of Extraordinary Things-4 stars
China Dolls-3 stars
The Paying Guests-4 stars
Euphoria-4 stars
Some Luck-3 stars
Frog Music-4 stars
The Narrow Road to the Deep North-5 stars

https://www.goodreads.com/thewanderin...

message 4: by Colleen (last edited Dec 01, 2015 11:53AM) (new)

Colleen  | 138 comments I read I Shall Be Near to You - 4 stars. I thought a decent debut & would like to see more by this author. Frog Music intrigues me as I loved Room - hope to read it soon. I've heard The Invention of Wings was really good. I did read All the Light We Cannot See & gave it a solid 4 stars.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments thewanderingjew wrote: "The Invention of Wings-5 stars
Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy, #3-2 stars
The Miniaturist-3 stars
The Museum of Extraordinary Things-4 stars
China Dolls-3 stars
The Paying Guests-4 stars
Eup..."

Wow impressive list!

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments I've read A Burnable Book (loved it!) and Euphoria (very good!). I started Frog Music but I didn't feel it measured up to the incredible Room. I haven't read Edge of Eternity yet, I am reading Winter of the World right now.

message 7: by Misha (new)

Misha (itz_mie) | 365 comments Have read All the Light We Cannot See - 5 stars and The Narrow Road to the Deep North - 4 stars. Great reads both of them

message 8: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I absolutely loved the Edge of Eternity and The Invention of Wings. I've also read All the Light we Cannot See, but I don't share the appreciation it seems to be getting. It's written beautifully, but it feels like an effort .. like something constructed instead of envisioned? It's a beautiful exercise in writing, yet soulless. Well, at least to me.

message 9: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2015 05:52AM) (new)

Lynn | 4043 comments Mod
I haven't read any of these as I'm always a bit wary of historical fiction. I know there are some wonderful books out there but I find this genre can tend to get stuck in the descriptive (even if it's beautifully done) which as some of you know is a big turn off for me if done to the excess.

Please feel free to recommend any that you feel might suit me more.

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2 comments Definitely try The Invention of Wings and The Paying Guests. Both were excellent.

message 11: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I have read and enjoyed these :

All the Light We Cannot See - 5 stars
The Invention of Wings- 5 stars
Dollbaby - 5 stars
The Narrow Road to the Deep North-5 stars
Some Luck - 4 stars

A few of the other titles are on my tr list .

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I read a few...
All the Light We Cannot See - I thought this one was good, but I didn't love it like so many other people did. I gave it 3 stars.
The Invention of Wings - I really liked this one and gave it 4 stars.
Dollbaby - another 4 star read for me, probably the best of the 3 for me.

And have a few I still want to read...
The Auschwitz Escape
The Museum of Extraordinary Things
The Narrow Road to the Deep North

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "I haven't read any of these as I'm always a bit wary of historical fiction. I know there are some wonderful books out there but I find this genre can tend to get stuck in the descriptive (even if i..."

It's not in this list, but for next year's challenge, if you haven't read it yet and enjoy WWII books, read The Nightingale. I thought it was very well done and I was sucked into the story. I felt it was more character driven.

message 14: by Trudie (new)

Trudie (trudieb) Hi, I am new here but thought I would finally comment. I am rather fond of historical fiction and from this list I have read The Paying Guests 4/5, you can't go past Sarah Waters for brilliantly researched British historical fiction. The Narrow Road to the Deep North 4/5, the Booker Prize winner of 2014 and a harrowing Australian account of Japanese prisoner of war camps. And finally All the Light We Cannot See 3/5 - I struggled with the short chapters and shifting timelines, so it was ok but not great for me. I have The Invention of Wings on my TBR pile and am so keen to get to it after reading reviews here

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments I absolutely LOVED Edge of Eternity. Yes, the three books in this trilogy are long, but Ken Follett has a way of weaving together the lives of divergent people and groups. Definitely (5) stars for me. If I could have given it more stars, I would have.

I also read The Invention of Wings and gave it (4) stars. I enjoyed it a lot, but there were times when it dragged a bit.

Finally, I read All the Light We Cannot See. I have to agree with those of you who were not blown away. There were times when I really enjoyed the story, but overall my reaction was, "Meh."