YA and Beyond discussion

TOP 5 > Top 5 Books That Make You Happy

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 6961 comments Mod
I am reading Carry On by Rainbow Rowell right now and as I am nearing the end I realize how much I don't want it to end because it is making me so happy to be involved with these characters and in this imaginary world. What books have you read that you loved every minute of and/or didn't want to end?

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 30, 2015 07:18AM) (new)

Well, so its a little like top 5 fave? Because all my fave books make me happy.
But yes, great topic.

- Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne
- Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta
- Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1) by Meg Cabot
- Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy
- Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

honorable mentions: Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2) by Tera Lynn Childs Love at Second Sight by Cathy Hopkins Josie Griffin is Not a Vampire by Heather Swain Invisibility by Andrea Cremer The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen Dead Dudes! by Cathy Hopkins Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Hahaha - I guess it could be that way for some Oda; however,several of my favorites do NOT make me happy because they are sad or serious (like Book Thief).

1. I Am the Messenger I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak . I loved this entire thing and Doorman made me so happy :)

2. Bridget Jones's Diary Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1) by Helen Fielding - I loved every minute of this one.

3. Anna and the French Kiss Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins - simply adorable

4. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1) by Louise Rennison - loveity loved loved it

5. I've Got Your Number I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella - this was super fun

Honorable mention to: Also Known As Also Known As (Also Known As, #1) by Robin Benway Heist Society Heist Society (Heist Society, #1) by Ally Carter Cress Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Stories I Only Tell My Friends Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe My Most Excellent Year My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger Hold Me Closer, Necromancer Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1) by Lish McBride and anything by Kristan Higgins or Sarah Addison Allen

message 5: by Liz (last edited Nov 30, 2015 05:34AM) (new)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Hahaha - I guess it could be that way for some Oda; however,several of my favorites do NOT make me happy because they are sad or serious (like Book Thief)."

Oh, yes dident think of it like that.

message 7: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Phantom by Susan Kay Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) by Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House on Rocky Ridge (Little House The Rocky Ridge Years, #1) by Roger Lea MacBride

Sorcerer's Stone is just so magical that I can't help but grin as I read it. DOSB has the most exquisite writing and some of the best comedy I've ever read. Phantom is a very underrated, beautifully written story. Both Big Woods and Rocky Ridge are the first books in their respective series and I've loved them since I was a child. All of these books feel like coming home <3

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Phantom by Susan Kay Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) by Laura Ingalls Wilder [bookcover:Little Hous..."

Little House reminds me of my childhood which fortunately for me is a good thing and makes me happy too :)

message 9: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie My original copy of Big Woods was so battered because I took it EVERYWHERE. I feel like I could recite that book from beginning to end, haha.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "My original copy of Big Woods was so battered because I took it EVERYWHERE. I feel like I could recite that book from beginning to end, haha."

Awwww :)

And of course I did not want any of the Harry Potter books to end either :)

message 12: by Joan (new)

Joan Walker | 10 comments My top five would be The Princess Bride  by William Goldman , The Fault in Our Stars by John Green , Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery , Dark Confessions of an Extraordinary, Ordinary Woman by Jenn Sadai , and Happily Ever After (The Selection, #0.4, 0.5, 2.5, 2.6) by Kiera Cass ! All wonderful books that make me feel happy!

message 13: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "And of course I did not want any of the Harry Potter books to end either :)"

I still can't get over that I own 3 different sets of HP books LOL. Of my original set, the paperback Prisoner of Azkaban is the most battered, and the paperback Order of the Phoenix is actually laminated -- my high school librarian did that for me so it wouldn't get all beat to hell.

Princess Bride and Anne both make me happy too. I didn't put Fault or similar books (like Eleanor and Park or Monster Calls) because they made me too sad :( It is interesting seeing what books make people happy :)

message 15: by Joan (new)

Joan Walker | 10 comments I know Fault in the Stars ending was sad, but the book had so much humour and positive energy under horrific circumstances. That makes me happy. Its the same thing with Dark Confessions and Jenn Sadai's other book, Dirty Secrets. I appreciate being able to find the bright side in difficult situations. The world needs more of that.

Joan wrote: "I know Fault in the Stars ending was sad, but the book had so much humour and positive energy under horrific circumstances. That makes me happy. Its the same thing with Dark Confessions and Jenn Sa..."

Great point. This thread is reminding me of why I love books - everyone gets something different from them :)

message 17: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Hahaha - I guess it could be that way for some Oda; however,several of my favorites do NOT make me happy because they are sad or serious (like Book Thief)."

I second this line of thought. I mean, most of my favorite books/series make me happy at times, but generally, for some unholy reason, I want my books to make me feel friggin' miserable at times haha.

message 18: by Tommy (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:19PM) (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Okay, here's mine. Gonna try not to overthink it.

1. Comics/graphic novels - I'm giving the form itself this spot rather than any series. When I was 3 years old, comics started my love for reading. When I was in my late teens, wanting to make a comic sparked my love for writing. My first published piece was a short story in comic form. Without comics, I may genuinely not have grown into someone who would even be on this site.

2. Diary of a Wimpy Kid - These books are just funny, and enough of the things in them are relatable enough for me to bathe in a bit of nostalgia.

3. Harry Potter - Yes, these books also make me elfing miserable, but the high points are extremely high.

4. Goosebumps - More nostalgia city, and a giant stepping stone from me being a comic book lover to a book lover, period.

5. Imponderables - A non-fiction series that started in the 80s that I'm pretty sure the internet killed haha. The premise was that this guy David Feldman would answer questions that people didn't know the answer to. Things like "When did wild poodles roam the earth?" and "Do penguins have knees?" Just fun stuff, often with funny answers.

Honorable mentions:

Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life - Sad, but also funny and very beautiful.

Necromancer series - Seriously, we need more of these.

We definitely need more Necromancer!!

message 20: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I still need to read Necromancer! *note to self for 2016*

Do it Ashley! It is a good audiobook too btw.

message 22: by Donna (last edited Dec 08, 2015 09:43AM) (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) 1. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
2. A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas
3. Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh
4. Under Different Stars (Kricket, #1) by Amy A. Bartol
5. Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5) by Laini Taylor

message 23: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
Great thread! This was kind of challenging actually––while looking through my favorite books, I realized most of them are really sad. :D But here are some books that make me happy:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins Holes (Holes, #1) by Louis Sachar

message 24: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Donna wrote: "1. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
2. A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas
3. [bookcover:Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things Tha..."

Night of Cake and Puppets made me SO happy! Hurray for adorable fluff! <3

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Great thread! This was kind of challenging actually––while looking through my favorite books, I realized most of them are really sad. :D But here are some books that make me happy:

[bookcover:The ..."

Yeah it was challenging for me as well. I am finding it really interesting to see what books make people happy because it is different for everyone - someone people are happy even experiencing some sadness because they loved the book so much and I can get that. I loved the Eleanor & Park and didn't want it to end but all in all it was sad to me so I didn't pick it but I totally could have. All in all it reminds me why I love books so much - the different reactions they create. I was going to follow up this Top 5 with "Top 5 Books That Make You Sad" but I think maybe not now???

Cinder and Anna both make me happy too ladies :)

message 27: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie or Books That Make You RAGE :D haha

message 28: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments I've been pondering this over, and I don't know that I have any books that make me happy. There are books I like and ones I love, but each one leaves me a bit sad at some point (even if it parts leave me happy). I think that's what is so unique about reading, especially a good book. It conveys human life. And human life cannot be put in a box just labeled happy. :)

I think I read a lot more fluff than others Elora! Most of my picks are fluff reads :)

message 30: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments I need to give myself the freedom to read fluff! :)

You should Elora! I work in a pretty draining an stressful job so I need the fluff to keep my sanity!

message 32: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5) by Laini Taylor is my favorite fluff-story :)

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5) by Laini Taylor is my favorite fluff-story :)"

Yay for fluff!!

message 34: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Dec 09, 2015 12:57PM) (new)

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "or Books That Make You RAGE :D haha"

Interesting idea! How about "Books you wanted to throw across the room" :)

message 35: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Yes, perfect!

message 36: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Speaking as someone who won a copy of a novel written by the two Jenner sisters, I think I have some ammo for a list like that haha. Mine will almost certainly be filled with DNF books.

message 37: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Tommy wrote: "Speaking as someone who won a copy of a novel written by the two Jenner sisters, I think I have some ammo for a list like that haha. Mine will almost certainly be filled with DNF books."

Ohhhh dear. Yup that sounds like a good list!

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Haha! I would be into a "books that make you rage" thread. ;) I have some books that I feel very strongly about ...

message 39: by *b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* (last edited Dec 14, 2015 04:29PM) (new)

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
Forgot to put my list

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer

message 40: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Great list, Nina! I haven't read These Broken Stars yet, but I agree with all the others. :D

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Great list, Nina! I haven't read These Broken Stars yet, but I agree with all the others. :D"

I really enjoyed These Broken Stars, but some didn't like it as much.

I loved Broken Stars on audio - I think that made the book for me. Great picks Bluemoon! I heart Jacky of course - she always makes me smile as does HP and I loved Graffiti Moon too.

message 43: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Nina wrote: "Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Great list, Nina! I haven't read These Broken Stars yet, but I agree with all the others. :D"

I really enjoyed These Broken Stars, but some didn't like it as much."

I've heard mostly good things about it, so I will definitely try it at some point!

Heidi is right, Brigid. The audio is really good, maybe something to think about when you decide to pick it up,

message 45: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Cool, thanks for letting me know!