The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Dickens Project - Archives > Dickens - A Round of Stories by the Christmas Fire

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I've got a busy couple of days so I'm going to open the threads up now for the December reads.

Thread for A Round of Stories by the Christmas Fire.

NOTE: DO NOT READ ON IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE SPOILERS. BECAUSE PEOPLE MAY POST AFTER THEY FINISH EACH STORY, YOU MAY ENCOUNTER INFORMATION ABOUT A PARTICULAR SHORT STORY THAT YOU HAVEN'T READ YET.

message 2: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1776 comments Mod
I just finished the first tale, by Dickens, "The Poor Relations Story". This was a rather charming and poignant tale of the what-might-have-been genre, but escaped being positively maudlin with the inclusion of the little boy companion and the rather charming relationship between the two of them. The boy sounds like one of those rather sweet boys who wouldn't like the rough and tumble life and was probably left on his own a fair bit, and the prediction that this shy and diffident little lad could so easily end up on the same track as his unfortunate and somewhat ill-used uncle added to the melancholy feel of the tale.

Is the alternate history tale a particularly Dickensian device-A Christmas Carol, of course, but there were a couple of them in The Haunted House collection as well-or are there other examples you can think of? I suppose The Picture of Dorian Gray is a variation on this idea. Any others?

message 3: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I'm just finishing up The Haunted House. I'm also doing the Trollope readings for the month, and that book is due back at the library so doing those first, and then coming back to Dickens.

The stories in this collection look good...can't wait to start.

message 4: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Going to try to get through these, but was so unimpressed with The Haunted House that I'm having trouble getting motivated. I'm more excited to start Our Mutual Friend.

message 5: by Lori, Moderator (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1280 comments Mod
Same here. With very few exceptions, I don't like Dickens' short stories much. His novels are, of course, amazing. It's kind of the reverse of Gabriel Garcia Marquez - I like his short stories but not his novels (although I know a lot of people do like his novels and I'm in the minority).

message 6: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments There's a reason why some of his works have survived the years and others haven't.

message 7: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) I just finished and enjoyed The Further Adventures of Ebenezer Scrooge by Charlie Lovett. It is a light-hearted sequel to The Christmas Carol.

message 8: by Dania (new)

Dania Saad just started ''a Christmas carol'' :)