RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2015 Genre Challenge > December: Adventure/Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3155 comments Mod
I have a couple that might work for this. But the book I'm most anxious to read is The Martian by Andy Weir. I guess this is technically sf, but do you think it would qualify as Adventure too?

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments Dagny wrote: "I have a couple that might work for this. But the book I'm most anxious to read is The Martian by Andy Weir. I guess this is technically sf, but do you think it would qualify as Adv..."

Most definitely! :D

message 3: by Steve (new)

message 4: by Dagny (new)

Wow, Steve! I haven't read much fantasy in recent years. Aside from the odd one here and there, the last series I was following was the Pern books. Yes, it's been that long, lol.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments Well, I got an early start to Fantasy Month, and finished the first one at lunch today: The King's Justice: Two Novellas, 5 stars.

Donaldson is at the top of my favorite authors list, so my rating my be somewhat biased. I'm not sorry. :D

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 6: by Dagny (new)

Steve wrote: "Well, I got an early start to Fantasy Month, and finished the first one at lunch today: The King's Justice: Two Novellas, 5 stars."

I don't think I've read anything by Donaldson, but I've heard of the Thomas Covenant series.

message 8: by Steve (last edited Dec 01, 2015 11:00AM) (new)

Steve | 208 comments ...and number three done: As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride, 5 stars and one of my favorites this year.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 9: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2131 comments Mod
OMG! @Steve you're on a roll!!! Great going!

And @Dagny I've been lusting after The Martian from quite some time now! Looking forward to your review for this one :)

I have just the right book for this month: The World's Best Fairy Tales. It's my grandfather's book and one of my most precious possessions! There are more than a dozen fairy tales in it (around 25 or so.) I'm really looking forward to reading it.
Also, I have a handful of comics for this month. Hopefully, I'll get to read a few more. :)

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments I didn't even think about including comics in this month's reads! If I include them, I've read five already... :O

message 11: by Steve (new)

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments In the last month I couldn't follow regularly this challenge. But this time I would like to read the follow:

Operation Chaos
Elric of Melnibone
The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
The Weird Of The White Wolf
The Vanishing Tower
The Bane of the Black Sword
Stormbringer

I don't know If I'll finish all these books before the end of the year, but I'll try.
I'll read the italian version, so these books could be included in some omnibus.

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Good luck, Andrew! That's impressive.

I haven't managed to start one yet. Trying to clear some other books off the agenda. Hopefully I'll finally be starting The Martian later this week.

message 14: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments Andrew wrote: "In the last month I couldn't follow regularly this challenge. But this time I would like to read the follow:

Operation Chaos
Elric of Melnibone
[book:The Sailor on the..."

The Elric series are among my all-time favorites. Hope you like them!

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments Steve wrote: "Andrew wrote: "In the last month I couldn't follow regularly this challenge. But this time I would like to read the follow:

Operation Chaos
Elric of Melnibone
[book:Th..."

I read only a little part,but I like the story, the atmosphere of magic and mystery.
I think that will be a nice reading!

message 16: by Heena (new)

#1 No Rest For The Wicked: 1/5 My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by Dagny (new)

I'm not entirely thrilled with my choice of The Martian for this month - not the book itself, I haven't even started but the fact that it might not be in this genre, even though to me it sounds like a pretty big adventure. I'll still count The Martian, but I didn't want it to be my only 'adventure' book.

So I was thinking, adventure doesn't have to be fiction, does it? The book I have in mind is Shackleton's Forgotten Men: The Untold Tragedy of the Endurance Epic If that's not an adventure, what is! It is even listed under 'sports/adventure' and the publisher's line is 'adrenaline classics.'

message 18: by Steve (new)

message 19: by Heena (new)

#2 Neverland - 5/5 stars. This is one of the best books I've read this year!!!

#3 A Fairy Extraordinary Christmas Story - 5/5 stars. A beautiful book for children.

message 21: by Heena (new)

I forgot to add this one (it was the second one I read this month after No Rest For The Wicked) so I have 6 so far,

#6 The World's Best Fairy Tales

message 22: by Dagny (new)

1. The Martian
I loved this book! A modern day castaway story.

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Just sliding under the wire with my second:
Shackleton's Forgotten Men: The Untold Tragedy of the Endurance Epic

Talk about an adventure - their mission was brutal. 5 stars

message 24: by Heena (new)

Ended the year on an excellent note with the last book by Sir Terry Pratchett: The Shepherd's Crown - 5/5... what a beautiful story! This was my first book but I've already fallen in love with the Discworld!

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Ended the year on an excellent note with the last book by Sir Terry Pratchett: The Shepherd's Crown - 5/5... what a beautiful story! This was my first book but I've already fallen i..."

So they don't need to be read in order or were you just trying it out? Looks like you're going to need a super marathon to catch up.

message 26: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "So they don't need to be read in order or were you just trying it out? Looks like you're going to need a super marathon to catch up."

I always wanted to read his books as I have a lot of friends who were heartbroken when he passed away and as soon as I saw that this one was available at NetGalley, I requested it.
I had a lot of reservations because it was the last one in this epic series, but when I read it, it felt like I wasn't missing out on anything. He wrote them quite smartly... though I read about Tiffany Aching for the first time I still ended up loving her and her country.

And yeah, this series is quite big (40 something.) But there is a sub-series on Tiffany Aching only 5 books (the last 5 books.) So I think, I'll read this sub-series first.