Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
This topic is about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
2016 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Sandy & Colleen - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5841 comments Mod
Sandy & Colleen - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments Ack..... we're doing this, right? ;)

This is the version I have (an actual PHYSICAL copy for a change).
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
There are chapters we can use to track where we are since it's pretty likely we'll have different versions.

As always, I can dive in whenever. I'd be willing to start next weekend if you're up for it.

message 3: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments I have that one, too. I wish I had the ebook instead of the doorstopper. Lol
I may just start Tuesday with at least a few pages. I am not foreseeing getting too far into it by the weekend.

message 4: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments Do you have the paperback?
Do you want to set chapter goals, or post in spoiler brackets like with the other books? I'm up for either one.

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments I could go either way. Although setting goals might help motivate me to get started ;)

68 chapters? How would we group them?
I see it's also set up in three volumes which seem to be approximately 1/3 - the first being the shortest. Do you want to shoot for a volume every 10 days? That would wrap it up in December. That was kind of my loose plan anyway. Or something more frequent like every x number of chapters?

I'll still probably stop by with spoiler tags if the mood strikes

So...... I will try to start before this weekend but it's not likely. Maybe? By this weekend for sure though. :)

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments 69 chapters. Sorry that was a typo and there's no edit on the iPad app.

message 7: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments Your plan sounds like a good one
So, roughly speaking:
Volume 1 Dec. 4-14
Volume 2 Dec. 15-25
Volume 3 Dec. 26-Jan.5

I like that plan. I am optimistic about finishing!

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments Bring. It. On.
;)

message 9: by SandyC (last edited Dec 02, 2015 09:54AM) (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments I read chapter 1 last night. I actually read the footnotes this time. Last time, I didn't. I'm trying to have more patience with this book this time around.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

hi! Can I join in ?

message 11: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments Of course, Karen. Welcome!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandy wrote: "Your plan sounds like a good one
So, roughly speaking:
Volume 1 Dec. 4-14
Volume 2 Dec. 15-25
Volume 3 Dec. 26-Jan.5

I like that plan. I am optimistic about finishing!"

Like your plan!

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments Hi Karen! Welcome aboard, the more the merrier!!

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments I cracked it open and started, didn't get very far yet.
I'm on page 41, start of chapter 4
(view spoiler)

message 16: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments I'm on chapter 4 too.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi ! Just started reading :)

message 18: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments Chapters 1 - 4

(view spoiler)

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments I agree with both points, Sandy. Definitely more dry humor than I expected, you have to pay attention to catch it sometimes - and because of your note above I've paid attention to the footnotes, which can also be rather amusing.

Up to Chapter 11
(view spoiler)

message 20: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments Chapters 5 - 10

(view spoiler)

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments I'm leaving on a work trip and won't be home until the end of the week. Since this book is a doorstop (to steal Sandy's term) I won't be taking it with me. So I'm disappearing until this weekend. :(

message 22: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments Safe travels!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy Travelling!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Im done with the book , sorry once i started couldnt stop!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandy wrote: "Chapters 5 - 10

This is the point where I stopped last time. I wish I would have kept going, as this time around I am enjoying it, too. As for the resurrection, yes I agree it can't end well, esp..."

True , The resurrection had to have bad consequences.

message 26: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments Way to go Karen!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

How far in are you sandy? How are you liking it?

message 28: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments Im only up to chapter 13. I like it but I keep getting distracted by other books.

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments I'm up to chapter 13 as well, and like Sandy I'm enjoying it. I got distracted by other books and holiday prep things (ugh).

Karen;
Did your edition have illustrations? I'm on the 3rd page in chapter 13 where Vinculus, a street magician, is berating Mr. Norrell about something and the illustration with it is pretty funny - Mr. Norrell's face either looks like he's surprised or like he just sucked a lemon. Maybe both.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Colleen wrote: "I'm up to chapter 13 as well, and like Sandy I'm enjoying it. I got distracted by other books and holiday prep things (ugh).

Sandy wrote: "Im only up to chapter 13. I like it but I keep getting distracted by other books."

Which other books are you getting distracted by??

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol ! No I dont have illustrations , I wish I did.

Have you seen the tv series yet?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

At that point I was pretty much going on about where is Strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impatient LOL

message 33: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments I'm up to chapter 16 now. :-)
I just read Warleggan and I am forcing myself not to buy the next one yet. Highly recommend the Poldark series!

I also read The Pale Horseman (another great series).

Finished Beloved for a buddy read , and also working my way through A Brief History of Seven Killings for another buddy read.

Also Reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

Distractions everywhere! Not to mention my knitting project! :-)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Omg so many books!! Im going to check them out :)

What are u making?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

The Poldark series is really old!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I have added poldark and the pale horseman

Also the immortal life of henrietta lacks , that sounds really interesting

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments Karen;
I have not seen the TV series, I wanted to read the book first. Have you seen the series and how does it compare with the book? Does it follow pretty closely like the 'Gone Girl' movie does or is only loosely based like the 'Longmire' TV series? (not sure if you know either of those, but thought I'd throw out some examples)

Sandy;
I loved reading Henrietta Lacks - I live near Johns Hopkins Hospital, so it was especially interesting for me.

I'm reading 3 at a time right now (I usually do 2 - one book, one audio)

Besides Jonathan Strange, I'm reading Old Man's War for a buddy read and it's pretty humorous. I'm listening to Bitter Is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office and while I find it funny, I don't think I like the woman very much.

Preparing for the holidays, social obligations and just being damned busy are interfering with my reading this past couple weeks.

What are you knitting? I'm trying to finish up some cross-stitch ornaments before Christmas but I don't know if it's going to happen. Bless audiobooks where I can read and stitch at the same time. ;)

message 38: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments I always find I have 3 - 5 books going at a time. I usually have an audiobook going in the car, too, but I need to go to the library and check one out, or I need to clear some storage on my phone so I can listen that way. LOL

I am knitting a scarf for myself. I am a SLOW knitter, and I have started this one over about 5 times. At this rate I'll be done next winter!

Yes, Poldark was written long ago. I discovered Poldark this past summer watching the TV series starring Aidan Turner (swoon!) on PBS. I then started reading the books which are SO GOOD! I am in love with the characters.

Haven't seen Jonathan Strange series but word on the street is it's really good!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I havent seen the TV Series , In fact I was wondering when we all are done reading why dont we watch it!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Colleen wrote: "Karen;
I have not seen the TV series, I wanted to read the book first. Have you seen the series and how does it compare with the book? Does it follow pretty closely like the 'Gone Girl' movie does ..."

No colleen I havent seen either of those , I know Gone Girl but havent heard of Longmire , is it good>

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandy wrote: "I always find I have 3 - 5 books going at a time. I usually have an audiobook going in the car, too, but I need to go to the library and check one out, or I need to clear some storage on my phone s..."

Sounds so interesting , will check the TV Series out first!

message 42: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments I am up to chapter 22! I really like it. I am wondering what the fairy is up to, and it's funny to me how Steven Black is so nonchalant about the whole enchantment situation.

I caved and downloaded the next Poldark book. I'm 80% done with that. Will try harder not to download #6!!!

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments I'm almost finished chapter 20 (busy with family showing up and baking, etc). Sandy, you and I seem to be on the same speed this round :)

Steven Black does seem nonchalant, but then again it's a society that readily accepts magic. I wonder what's going to happen to Lady Poole.

We FINALLY met Jonathan Strange. Can't say he made much of a first impression, but his family story and the valet's story was rather interesting.

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments I'm up to chapter 28 (view spoiler)

message 45: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments We are at the same spot! I have a feeling Mrs. Strange may be instrumental in discovering Lady Pole's secret.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Merry Christmas :)
How is it going?

Drawlight was utterly distasteful..

Im sorry I was a bad buddy reader this time:(

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments Karen wrote: "Merry Christmas :)
How is it going?

Drawlight was utterly distasteful..

Im sorry I was a bad buddy reader this time:("

Karen, you weren't! You helped motivate us to get going :)

I'm enjoying this book in smaller doses. I don't know if I have the stamina to read it straight through - it's dense and meanders around (especially with the footnotes - which are usually pretty amusing). I'm just about to start Chapter 35
(view spoiler)

message 48: by SandyC (last edited Dec 30, 2015 10:34AM) (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments I'm up to chapter 32. It's just not keeping my attention, plus there is so much going on with the holidays. Hard to read when my kid wants me to play Mario Kart with him. LOL

I propose we extend this another month.

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments I agree about the holidays. My family is in town through this weekend, so it's made a dent in my reading time. No Mario Kart (which would be fun!) but... ;)

I'm going to keep going, so yes to extending. I admit to reading other books in between chapters. I'm still enjoying it, but my attention does wander. I'm up to Chapter 41. The writing style is one I have trouble breezing through, which is both good (better writing) and bad (takes time).

message 50: by SandyC (new) - added it

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1198 comments Yes! The writing is very good and I love the subtle humor, but I feel the story meanders too much. I participate in too many challenges, so I am also always reading other books in between.

Happy New Year!

« previous 1