The Challenge Factory discussion

Bête
This topic is about Bête
2016 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Karina & Lulu - Bête

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5350 comments Mod
Karina & Lulu - Bête

Karina (karinargh) | 237 comments When d'you want to read this one? I can do pretty much whenever, don't have any other scheduled reads this month.

Lulu (robotwitch) I've tried to be organised this month and have it scheduled for the week starting 21st. I thought no better time for animal rights than in the run up to Christmas?

But perhaps that's a bit morbid, I can swap things around if you think so.

Karina (karinargh) | 237 comments Works for me!

Karina (karinargh) | 237 comments Turns out I'll spend about 5 hrs on a train tomorrow, which should be excellent for getting started on this!

Lulu (robotwitch) Ah, that's good! Where are you off to so far away?

I'll be starting as soon as I'm done with The Man in the High Castle.

Karina (karinargh) | 237 comments Just off to visit a parent and a cat for the holidays. They'd decided to put an old bumpy train on the tracks though, triggering my if-I-read-I-will-barf response, so that turned out rather less productive than I'd imagined. :3

But I reached 20% or so in the evening. I'm not sure what to say yet; The premise is interesting, but everything is moving terribly slowly.

Lulu (robotwitch) Oh nice! Well, about the visiting, not about the bumpy train. That's a shame when travelling is such valuable time. Maybe an opportunity for the audiobook?

I'm just at 10% now. I'm just a bit...confused as to where it is going, and I'm being careful about the shaky ground, but it seems to hold the middle well, rather than being preachy for either side, so far. Graham is a fairly entertaining narrator so far, and it's definitely been funny in a few places.

Not finding it too slow, but it depends on whether this is going to be navel-gazing for the next 200 pages.

Karina (karinargh) | 237 comments Ah, I didn't get the time to stop and make notes throughout the read - so I'll just do an end-of-read thing, if that's okay!

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Lulu (last edited Dec 30, 2015 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lulu (robotwitch) Didn't get a notification for this (GR seems bad when you build up too many). That's fine! I'm still in the middle (48% currently). It's starting to pick up, and I'm enjoying it. I'm just trying to get a lot of stuff read before year's end, so it's delaying but I'll definitely be finishing tomorrow.

The imagery seems to be really strange in places (the foreskin of snow, a tupperware snaplid of ice on the river) but I can't tell if that's on purpose, because of who Graham is, or not. I haven't read any other work by Roberts, but I feel he's too well respected an author to use that kind of metaphor without being tongue-in-cheek.

Graham actually really reminds me of my ex-boyfriend's dad. He's a hunter-fisherman-fireman, who is very set in his ways, doesn't believe in global warming, and was pretty angry when he found out his son had gone veggie. So that adds an entertainment factor.