75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2016 GR Completed) > ♥Dawn Michelle's I WILL READ 105 list for 2016♥ [FINISHED! YAY!]

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments Since I hit this number this year, I am going to aim for it next year. :-)

message 2: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4070 comments Mod
Yay!!!

message 3: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Dec 31, 2016 07:34PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments I was challenged by a friend to read 105 book this year instead of the 85 I originally chose, so here it goes [I almost hit 100 so I think it is doable]. I am doing 4 book challenges as well [think "overachiever" and "friends who are enablers and talk me into everything"] and I think that will help push that number right up there.

As with last year, I am doing several year long devotionals and will add them here as I start them and then put the finish date at the end of the year. It was WAY too confusing to try and keep track without adding them - I could not stand my numbers being off. I am also hoping to NOT not finish a book this year. I think I had three last year and that is just too many in my opinion. Meh.

Here is the list for the2016 52 Books in a Year Challenge:

1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't
2. A book set in a different continent
3. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015 (winner or nominated)
4. A book by an author you discovered in 2015
5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name
6. The highest rated on your TBR
7. A book about books
8. A classic book with less than 200 pages
9. A book that was mentioned in another book
10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now
11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge
12. A childhood classic
13. Reader’s Choice
14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title (Who/What/Where/When/Why/How)
15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago)
16. A book from the top 100 mystery novels
17. A book with a beautiful cover
18. A book on a summer/beach reading list
19. A non-fiction book
20. A book with a first name in the title
21. A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page
22. The first book in a new to you series
23. The next book in a series you are reading
24. A "between the numbers" book of a series (0.5, 1,5, 2.5, etc.)
25. A book whose main character is in a profession that interests you
26. A book everyone is talking about
27. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion)
28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir
29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name
30. A fairy-tale from a culture other than your own
31. A work of young adult fiction
32. A historical fiction book
33. The 16th book on your TBR
34. A book about mental illness
35. An award winning book
36. An identity book - a book about a different culture, religion or sexual orientation
37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read
38. A book about an anti hero
39. A previous suggestion that did not make it into the list
40. A novella from your favorite genre
41. A book about a major world event (fiction or non-fiction)
42. A top 100 fantasy novel
43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night
44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public
45. A book related to a hobby or passion you have
46. A crime story
47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title
48. A dystopia
49. A book with a great opening line
50. A book originally written in a language other than English
51. A short story from a well-known author
52. A book published in 2016

So, here we go:

1. Daring Greatly ~Brene Brown
NF
April 28, 2015 - DID/COULD NOT FINISH
^ This is being carried over from last year. I am so hoping to finish it this year - I really am enjoying it, but I need it in small doses because it kind of smacks you in the face with stuff.
^**NEW NOTE We ended up NOT reading this in my book club and I have struggled on my own ever since. I carried it over from last year because I was determined to finish this book. There is so much that could help me.
And it just became too much for me. The baggage that I carry is too much to deal with while reading this book at this time. My grief is also too huge for me to try and comprehend what is being taught to me through this book right now.
I KNOW how amazing this book is - the parts that I have already gotten through are just amazing. But it is extremely overwhelming to me and I just cannot deal with this at the moment. So I am laying this aside with the hope that someday I will be able to come back to it.

2. Savor: Living Abundantly Where You Are, As You Are ~Shauna Neiquist
NF/365 Day Devotional
January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2016
3 Stars

3. My Utmost for His Highest ~Oswald Chambers
NF/365 Day Devotional
January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2016
5 Stars

4. The Girl on the Train ~Paula Hawkins
January 1, 2016 - January 7, 2016
Book Club Read
52 Books in a Year - Week 1/A
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A Book Set in Europe
Kindle
5 Stars
^ HOLY. FREAKING. MOSES! Man, that was one excellent read and ride. WOW. Kept me guessing and at the edge of my seat right to the end. I was up until 2:30AM finishing this one. I was hesitant to read this, and then it was picked for our book club and it fit several of my challenges so I had no choice. LOL I am SO GLAD I read this book.

5. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry ~Rachel Joyce
January 1, 2016 - January 5, 2016
52 Books in a Year - Wk 1/B
5 Stars
^ LOVED this book. WOW. The feels. I am getting Queenie and reading it ASAP!!

message 4: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
I also like The Girl on the Train! It was so twisted. And I added Pilgrimage of Harold Fry to my TBR!

message 5: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments Twisted is so putting it mildly!! That ending!!! Boy howdy!!!

You will LOVE Harold Fry.

message 6: by JanB (new)

JanB  | 980 comments Dawn Michelle, I also enjoyed Harold Fry but keep forgetting about the Queenie book. I need to put it near the top of my list. I also loved Perfect by the same author.

message 7: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments Jan, I have perfect on my list too. I just got a novella that goes along with that I believe - something about lemons [haven't had coffee yet, brain not working on all cylinders]. After I bought it I read that it kind of goes along with Perfect. :-/ So I know I will be getting that at some point. I think I will get Queenie today - I just kept hoping the kindle price would go down.

message 8: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jan 30, 2016 07:54PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments 6. Hollow City [Miss Peregrine #2] ~Ransom Riggs
January 8, 2016 - January 14, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge - Wk 2
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge: A book recommended by a bookseller
Kindle
5 Stars

7. When You're Ready ~J.L. Berg
January 9, 2016 - January 10, 2106
52 Books in a Year Challenge - Wk 22
POPSUGAR Reading Challenge: A book recommended by someone you just met [Lisa Lewellen]
Kindle
1 Star

message 9: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments 8. Big Girl Panties ~Stephanie Evanovich
January 14, 2016 - January 16, 2016
POPSUGAR Challenge: A book and it's prequel
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge:A book you own but have never read
Kindle
4 Stars

9. Fat Girl Walking: Sex, Food, Love, and Being Comfortable in Your Own Skin - Every Inch of It ~Brittany Gibbons
NF
January 15, 2016 - January 19, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge - Wk 3
Kindle
4 Stars

10. Followed by Frost ~Charlie N. Holmberg
January 20, 2016 - January 30, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge - Wk 4
Kindle
4 Stars

11. The Sweet Spot ~Stephanie Evanovich
January 20, 2016 - January 23, 2016
POPSUGAR Reading Challenge: A Book and It's Prequel
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 18
Kindle
4 Stars

message 10: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Ohhh, I didn't know about this book!

The Sweet Spot ~Stephanie Evanovich

message 11: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments It's a very good one Andrea!!

message 12: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments I am so behind. I was without a computer because I totally quit my job and had to send it back to my boss, a very close family friend passed away and then my beloved Dad passed away. I stopped reading for awhile and really am just now getting back to it. I love not working as it allows me a lot of time to just read and reminds me of my time in Toronto. I didn't realize how much I loved just reading all day until I could not do that anymore. So its been lovely to do that again. So now I need to try and get caught up here.

message 13: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Dec 31, 2016 07:31PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments 12. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows ~J.K. Rowling
January 27, 2016 - February 4, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Week 29
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A book about a road trip
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge: A Book You've Read More Than Once
Kindle [Kindle Lending Library]
5+ Stars

13. Persuasion ~Jane Austen
February 1, 2016 - February 14, 2016
Book Club Read
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 8
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Book at LEAST 100 years older than you
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge: A book published before you were born
Kindle
4 Stars

14. Once Upon a Grind {Coffeehouse #14] ~Cleo Coyle
February 4, 2016 - February 13, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 25
5 Stars
^ This was one of the best in the series. Such a nail biter. These characters are so much fun. LOVE this series.

15. Captain Wentworth Home from the Sea ~Mary Lydon Simonsen
February 14, 2016 - February 14, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 15
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A book you can finish in a day
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge: A book you can finish in a day
Kindle
5 Stars
^ I thought this was a story of Anne and Captain Wentworth later on in their marriage. I was wrong. It is a lovely retelling of Persuasion. Much shorter than the original story and it is an interesting premise. I enjoyed this read very much.

16. 40 Days with Jesus: Celebrating His Presence ~Sarah Young
[Lenten Devotional]
February 10, 2016 - March 27, 2016
5 Stars
^ This was a lovely Lenten devotional that I will continue to use yearly. I enjoyed this very much.

17. Shingaling: A Wonder Story ~R.J. Palacio
February 14, 2016 - February 14, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 24
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A book under 150 pages [125]
Kindle
5+ Stars
^ This is Charlotte's story and it is very, very good. It has been so interesting to read all the side stories to the original Wonder story and to get the other kid's perspective of Auggie and him being at their school. This one was one of my favorites overall.

18. People of the Book ~Geraldine Brooks
February 15, 2016 - February 19, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 7
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A NY Times Bestseller
5+ Stars
^ This book is simply amazing. This is historical fiction at its very best - even the parts I didn't fully understand I enjoyed because I was learning so much and there was just pure joy in reading this book. I just want to devour all of her books now. WOW!

19. Fangirl ~Rainbow Rowell
February 19, 2016 - February 21, 2016
52 Book in a Year Challenge: Wk 21
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A YA Bestseller
Kindle
3 1/2 Stars
^I both loved AND hated this book. I hated the swearing [though I am totally aware that a lot of kids talk this way. Doesn't mean I have to like it or enjoy reading it] and the fanfic [because I personally dislike fanfic. Completely] part of the story-line. I loved [most] of the characters and I also liked how they handled her sister and what happens to her. That felt very real to me. And as someone who LOVES Harry Potter, I totally understood her obsession with Simon Snow and how that fueled her and her writing.
The book ultimately left me really torn...[and Nick TOTALLY got what he deserved - creep!].

20. Love, Anthony ~Lisa Genova
February 21, 2016 - February 24, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 20
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A book that takes place on an island [Nantucket]
Kindle
5+ Stars
^WOW!! The FEELS.
This author's books never disappoint. She writes so well that you are just sucked in and you look up and wonder why you are not right where she was writing about. She writes characters that you want to be friends with. And this book is no different. I loved this book - it was not what I was expecting, but it was utterly amazing. I highly recommend this one.

21. The Wise Man's Fear {The Kingkiller Chronicles #2] ~Patrick Rothfuss
February 26, 2016 - December 31, 2016
52 Books in a Year: Wk 42
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:Read a book over 600 pages
2016 Read Harder Challenge:Read a book over 500 pages
Kindle/Audible Combo
4 Stars
^I was not as in love with this book as I was with the first one. There was a lot of dragging on in the middle and by the end, I wasn't as fond as Kvothe as I had been and I was annoyed by how the middle dragged on for forever [I lost count at how many times I rolled my eyes at the dialogue]. I think 1000 pages was excessive and am so thankful I got over my dislike for audiobooks which is what helped me "read" 50% of the book in 4 days. I still really want to read the third one, but am kind of glad that I don't have to dive right into that one. :-)

22. Out of the Silent Planet [Space Trilogy #1] ~C.S. Lewis
March 4, 2016 - March 30, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A science fiction novel
Kindle
3 Stars

23. The Real Macaw [Meg Langslow #13] ~Donna Andrews
February 27, 2016 - March 27, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 25
Kindle
4 Stars

24. Cranford ~Elizabeth Gaskill
March 15, 2016 - March 20, 2016
Book Club Read
Kindle
2 Stars

25. Some Like it Hawk [Meg Langslow #14] ~Donna Andrews
March 27, 2016 - March 28, 2016
Kindle
4 1/2 Stars

26. We Should All Be Feminists ~Chimamanda Ngozi Adichle
March 31, 2016 - March 31, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 26
Read Harder Challenge:Read a book about feminism
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge:A Book that intimidates you
Kindle
5 Stars

27. The Grownup ~Gillian Flynn
March 31, 2016 - March 31, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 51[A]
Kindle
1 Star [MEH]

28. Carry Her Heart ~Holly Jacobs
April 1, 2016 - April 1, 2016
Book Club Read
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A book set in your home state [PA]
1 1/2 Stars
Kindle
SUPER MEH! What a tedious book

29. Neverwhere ~Neil Gaiman
April 1, 2016 - May 4, 2016
Book Club Read [from the Book Swap - received from Mandy Walsh]
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge: A Book recommended to you
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 43
^ I received this book in a blind book-swap at my book club meeting. It had been on my TBR list for awhile, but I had just never gotten around to it. And then I picked it and had to read it. :-)
This was one weird book. I was truly afraid that I would hate this book when I started it because it was so weird. And then a friend suggested 2% a day [which translated for me into 2 chapters a day as 2% always left me in the middle of a chapter and that is annoying] until I got to the end and then I just read 6 chapters straight [WHICH was a lot considering what was going on - it was all so weird and GROSS] because I just had to know what was going to happen. So in the end, I ended up really liking the book. A lot. I cannot say enjoy it because there were parts that were really gross. REALLY. GROSS. But I did like it and and I am happy that I read it. It was interesting and twisted and strange and GROSS . Did I mention it is gross [there is a man who eats the heads off of birds and thoroughly enjoys it - GROSS]?
Neil Gaiman is a genius and I look forward [sort of, LOL] to reading more of him.

30. Being Mortal ~Atul Gawande
February 29, 2016 - April 30, 2016
Borrowed Friends/Family
Recommended by: Carol Fielding; she gave it to me when my Dad first went into the hospital.
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 19
5+ Stars
^ Wow.
This book is overwhelming, filled with sadness, and a must-read for people. It is about end-of-life care and what we want when our time comes.

I was given this by a friend when my Dad was in the hospital. We didn't know at that point he was going to die, but we knew he was very sick and both my Mom and I felt like we were being conjoled into care we knew he didn't want, but, he didn't have an "end of life directive" and because of that, HIS wishes were ignored and treatment went on a lot longer than they should have because others didn't want to listen to us, the people who had been caring for him for months. It was a really rough time and I do not think that either one of us has recovered from it. Even after he died, there was talk about what could have been done to extend his life. It was a very frustrating time. He wanted quality of life, not quantity and he wanted to die with dignity. In the end, that did happen, but it took a lot longer than he would have liked because treatments were being forced on him.

My mom and I are going to go and have our wills drawn up and have VERY specific end of life directives also drawn up. My health is in a decline and my mom is almost 70. We both know what we want and we do not want what happened to my Dad to happen to either of us. My sister will be involved with these decisions as well and to be honest, I anticipate some resistance from her. If that is the case, I will be buying this book for her and praying she reads it.

I highly recommend that people read this book. I recommend that you make a will. Talk with your spouse/parents/siblings/significant others about what you want your "end of life" care to be. Because it can happen tomorrow. And if you have no official directive, they can do whatever they please to you to keep you alive. And if you do not want that, you need to have it on paper.
Have the hard conversations about these things. No, it will not be a good time. YES, it most certainly will be uncomfortable. Plan your funeral. Write your obituary. Yes, these too are very hard and difficult things. But in the end, the end will be just as you want it and less of a burden on your family. We had to do everything from scratch with my Dad including plan a funeral in literally days. We had to meet at the funeral home a DAY after he died and write the obit that day. Get this stuff done and save your family that extra grief. It is so hard to say all you want to say about someone when you are still reeling from the fact that your beloved has died.

I miss my Dad every single day. I pray he knows we tried to do what he wanted and what he talked about. And I pray what happened to us never happens to anyone else I know.

31. The Firefly Dance [4 Novellas] ~Sarah Addison Allen, Kathryn Magendie, Augusta Trobaugh, Phyllis Schieber
April 4, 2016 - April 5, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 27
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A book with a blue cover
Recommended by Joy Gerbode
3 Stars

32. Train ~Alice Munro
April 13, 2016 - April 14, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 51 [B]
Read Harder Challenge:Read a book under 100 pages
Recommended by: Joy Walsh
Kindle
3 Stars

message 14: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am so behind. I was without a computer because I totally quit my job and had to send it back to my boss, a very close family friend passed away and then my beloved Dad passed away. I stopped read..."

I'm so sorry about your losses as of late, Dawn Michelle. :( *hugs* I'm glad you've found your reading groove again. Sometimes you need to stop something to appreciate it more! Good for you for quitting your job! ;)

message 15: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments Thank you Elyse - the past few months have been pretty tough. Grief is such a hard thing sometimes.
Quitting my job was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. And I can devote more time to my mom and help her through this extremely emotional time.

message 16: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Ohhh Dawn Im so sorry about your friend and your dad. Im really behind on posts. Im glad that you are enjoying some time to yourself reading as well asspending time with your mom. Sending you lots of hugs xxxxxxxxx

message 17: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Dec 31, 2016 07:30PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments 33. In Extremis [CSI #9] ~Ken Goddard
April 23, 2016 - April 28, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge - Wk 46
1 Star
^ I am so grateful that this guy only wrote one of the CSI books. I would have never read another one if he had written them all. WAY to wordy and filled with narrative that was so unneeded. AND the end?? UGH.

34. The Hen of the Baskervilles [Meg Langslow #15] ~Donna Andrews
April 30, 2016 - May 5, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A book that takes place in the summer
4 Stars
Kindle

35. Closet Confidential [Charlotte Adams #4] ~Mary Jane Maffini
May 5, 2016 - May 7, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Murder Mystery
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 45
4 Stars

36. The Diva Steals a Chocolate Kiss [Diva #7] ~Krista Davis
May 7, 2016 - May 9, 2016
4 Stars

Room ~Emma Donoghue
May 1, 2016 - May 10, 2016
Book Club Read
52 Books in a Year Challenge - Wk 39
4 Stars
Kindle

38. Aunt Dimity and The Summer King [Aunt Dimity #20] ~Nancy Atherton
May 10, 2016 - May 13, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: Book recommended by family [Mom]
52 Books in a Year Challenge - Wk 33
5+ Stars

39. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly ~Jean-Dominique Bauby
May 14, 2016 - May 14, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Book Translated into English
52 Books in a Year - Wk 50
5 Stars

message 18: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments Thank you Andrea - I have been behind in catching up here as well so no worries.
I hope things are going well with you!!!

message 19: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Dec 31, 2016 07:28PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments 40. The Invention of Wings ~Sue Monk Kidd
May 14, 2016 - June 10, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 32
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: An Oprah's Book Club Pick
5 Stars
Kindle

41. Duck the Halls [Meg Langslow #16] ~Donna Andrews
May 15, 2016 - May 19, 2016
4 1/2 Stars
Kindle

42. Double Fudge Brownie Murder [Hannah Swenson #18] ~Joanne Fluke
May 19, 2016 - May 20, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 47
2 Stars

43. March ~Geraldine Brooks
May 20, 2016 - May 29, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 35
4 Stars

44. The Busy Woman's Guide to Murder [Charlotte Adams #5] ~Mary Jane Maffini
May 21, 2016 - May 24, 2016
4 Stars

45. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt ~Beth Hoffman
May 29, 2016 - May 31, 2016
Recommended by: Elena Jones
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 49
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A book guaranteed to bring you joy
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge: A book you've been meaning to read
5+ Stars

46. The Magpies ~Mark Edwards
June 1, 2016 - June 23, 2016
Book Club Read
Kindle
1 Star
^THIS book was a complete waste of my time and money and good sensibility. The one star is for the guy's reaction at the end - that was the one part of the book that was very real and felt the most honest of everything that I had previously read. The rest of the book was total crap.

47. The Story Spirits [Round the World Fairy Tales/Korea] ~Translated by: Amabel Williams-Ellis
May 30, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 30
Listened to on YouTube/Read by MimiTheStoryTeller
4 Stars

48. Me Before You ~Jojo Moyes
May 31, 2016 - June 3, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 13
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Book that is a Movie in 2016
5 Stars
Kindle
^ THE. FEELS. I may never be the same after reading this book. Ever.

49. FukuFuku: Kitten Tales ~Konami Kanata
May 31, 2016 - June 1, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Graphic Novel
5 Stars

50. The First Woman Doctor [Elizabeth Blackwell] ~Rachel Baker
June 5, 2016
2016 Read Harder Challenge: A Biography
4 Stars

51. The Master Puppeteer ~Katherine Peterson
June 6, 2016 - June 11, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 12
20166 POPSUGAR Challenge: A National Book Award Winner
YA

3 1/2 Stars

message 20: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I am not the same after reading Me Before You!

message 21: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments It really just stays with you - makes you think - makes you cry. I just do not know if I can actually watch it play out on the screen.

message 22: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Dawn Michelle wrote: "It really just stays with you - makes you think - makes you cry. I just do not know if I can actually watch it play out on the screen."

I adored the movie. But it was heart-wrenching. Everyone in the theater was openly sobbing.

message 23: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I can't wait to see it!!!

message 24: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Dec 31, 2016 07:26PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments 52. The Outsiders ~S.E. Hinton
June 11, 2016 - June 17, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 9
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A book you have not read since High School
5+ Stars

53. Heart-Shaped Hack [Kate & Ian #1] ~Tracey Garvis-Graves
June 11, 2016 - June 13, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 44a
4 Stars
Kindle

54. White-Hot Hack [Kate & Ian #2] ~Tracey Garvis-Graves
June 13, 2016 - June 19, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 44B
4 Stars
Kindle

55. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy ~John Le Carre
June 19, 2016 - June 25, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 16
2 Stars
^ I loved this movie. The book, not so much. It rarely happens that way, but it was for this. This book was long and rather tedious and so so different from the movie. I know that if I had read the book first, I would have never watched the movie. Meh.

message 25: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Dec 31, 2016 07:26PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments 56. Knock, Knock, You're Dead! A Hamish MacBeth Short Story [30.5] ~M.C. Beaton
June 21, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 40
4 Stars
Kindle

57. When the Emperor was Divine ~Julie Otsuka
June 21, 2016 - June 26, 2016
Recommended by: Joy Walsh
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 11
3 1/2 Stars

58. Wedding Cake Murder [Hannah Swensen #19] ~Joanne Fluke
June 27, 2016 - July 3, 2016
Borrowed Friends/Family: Amy Utegg
2 Stars
[Check out my review here on GR to see just how I felt about this book. It has spoilers so if you are reading this series, you should pass on that]

59. A is for Anne: Mistress Hutchinson Disturbs the Commonwealth; A Narrative Poem ~Penelope Scambly Schott
June 27, 2016
Borrowed Friends/Family: Carol Fielding
NF
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Book of Poetry [#1]
5 Stars
^THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING. It reads like a book, not like poetry and it tells some amazing history. IF you can find this book, I highly recommend it.

60. Let's Roll!: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage ~Lisa Beamer
June 27, 2016 - July 11, 2016
Borrowed Friends/Family: Carol Fielding
NF
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 41
5+ Stars

61. The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy ~Rachel Joyce
June 28, 2016 - July 6, 2016
B/L [Philadelphia Free Library]
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 17
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Library Book
4 Stars
Kindle

62. Mayhem at the Orient Express [League of Literary Ladies Bk 1] ~Kylie Logan
July 4, 2016 - July 15, 2016
Book Club Read
4 Stars

63. The Handmaid's Tale ~Margaret Atwood
July 9, 2016 - July 21, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 10
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Dystopian Novel
2016 Read Harder Challenge: A Dystopian or Post-Apocalyptic Novel
Recommended by Joy Walsh
Radcliffe's Rival 100 Best List
5 Stars
Kindle

64. Be Mature [James] ~Warren W. Wiersbe
July 11, 2016 - December 28, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: Self-Improvement Book
2016 Read Harder Challenge:Read a book about religion [fiction or nonfiction]
Kindle
5 Stars

65. The Selection [The Selection #1] ~Kiera Cass
July 16, 2016 - July 19, 2016
52 Book in a Year Challenge: Wk 31
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Romance Set in the Future
5 Stars
Kindle

66. Breath Marks: Haiku to Read in the Dark ~Gary Hotham
July 16, 2016
Recommended Friends/Family
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Book of Poetry [#2]
2 Stars

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jul 19, 2016 05:47AM) (new)

You're doing really well this year, Dawn Michelle! Added a few of these to my TBR!

message 27: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments I think you and I keep our TBR lists pretty full from what we each read. I am always adding books you have read or want to read!! LOL

message 28: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Dawn Michelle wrote: "I think you and I keep our TBR lists pretty full from what we each read. I am always adding books you have read or want to read!! LOL"

haha definitely!

message 29: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

You both always have me adding books to my list!...hahah

message 30: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "You both always have me adding books to my list!...hahah"

That's what these groups are for! :) Endless supply of book recs!

message 31: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Dec 31, 2016 07:44PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments 67, Cinder [The Lunar Chronicles #1] ~Marissa Meyer
July 20, 2016 - July 26, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge: A Book Based on a Fairy Tale
Borrowed: Philadelphia Free Library [E-book]
4 Stars
Kindle

68. Brave New World ~Aldous Huxley
July 19, 2016 - July 29, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 48
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A Satirical Book
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge:A Book that was Banned
Recommended by Mandy Walsh
2 Stars
Kindle

69. Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex ~Mary Roach
July 22, 2016 - August 3, 2016
2016 Read Harder Challenge:Read a Nonfiction Book About Science
3 Stars
NF

70. The Girl in the Red Coat ~Kate Hamer
August 3, 2016 - August 22, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 34
2016 Read Harder Challenge:Read a book where the main character has a mental illness
Book Club Read
2 Stars
Kindle

71. Anna Christie ~ Eugene O'Neill
August 9, 2016
2016 Read Harder Challenge:Read a Play
Recommended by Joy Walsh
Listened as an Audiobook from Overdrive/Carnegie Library
4 Stars

72. Jewels of the Sun [The Gallagher's #1] ~ Nora Roberts
August 4, 2016 - August 5, 2016
5 Stars
Kindle

73. Tears of the Moon [The Gallagher's #2] ~Nora Roberts
August 6, 2016 - August 8, 2016
5 Stars
Kindle

74. The Diva Serves High Tea [Domestic Diva #10] ~ Krista Davis
August 9, 2016 - August 11, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 5
5 Stars

75. Sum it Up ~Pat Summitt
August 12, 2016 - September 10, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A Book by a Celebrity
Borrowed from Sharon Poloncy Brittian
4 Stars
NF

76. When My Name Was Keoko ~ Linda Sue Park
August 26, 2016 - August 30, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:Read a book about a culture you are unfamiliar with
5 Stars
YA
^THIS BOOK IS WOW WOW WOW!!!

77. Big Girl ~Danielle Steel
August 27, 2016 - August 29, 2016
2016 Read Harder Challenge:Wild Card
Borrowed: Overdrive/Carnegie Library
5 Stars
Kindle
^This book left me in a big puddle. I wish real life could end like this book did. But there were a MILLION feels for me while reading this. So much of this was my life [minus the stellar education]. I get weepy just thinking of this book. There were moments that I could barely believe that Danielle Steel actually wrote this as it was very good and very accurate with emotions and how the main character dealt with things. I really loved this book, even through all my tears.

78. Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone [Bk 1] ~ J.K. Rowling
September 1, 2016 - September 18, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 38
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A classic from the 20th Century
Book Club Read
5+ Stars
Kindle
YA

79. The Death of Ivan Ilynch ~Leo Tolstoy
September 7, 2016 - September 10, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 36
4 Stars
Kindle
^THAT was enough of Russian authors for me for a L O N G time. Holy cow!!

80. The Strange Case of Dr, Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
September 17, 2016
52 Books in a Year Challenge: Wk 37
3 Stars
Kindle

81. Five Years to Freedom: The True Story of a Vietnam POW ~ James N. Rowe
September 1, 2016 - December 15, 2016
Book for Class/Auditing
52 Books in a Year: Wk 6
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A Political Memoir
2016 Read Harder Challenge:Read a book about politics in your country or another [fiction or nonfiction]
NF
Kindle
5 Stars

82. The Good, The Bad, and the Emu's [Meg Langslow #17] ~ Donna Andrews
September 4, 2016 - September 7, 2016
4 Stars
Kindle

83. Donovan's Daughter [The Californian's #4] ~ Lori Wick
September 12, 2016 - September 14, 2016
5 Stars

84. The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~Neil Gaiman
September 18, 2016 - October 5, 2016
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:A book with a protagonist who has your occupation
Kindle
5 Stars
^VERY weird, creepy, strange, confusing and beautifully Neil Gaiman!

message 32: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I really need to begin the Lunar Chronicles soon! I have all of them except the latest already. lol. So many books! I also want to to get The Ocean at the End of the Lane soon.

message 33: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments I really enjoyed Cinder - it was a very unique twist on the Cinderella tale. I will definitely be looking into the other books. I am enjoying TOatEotL, but I am a huge Gaiman fan, so I am not surprised. :-)

message 34: by Stacie (last edited Sep 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1739 comments Congrats on sailing past your 75- it looks like you're right on track for your stretch goal, too :)

message 35: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments Thank you - I was afraid a few months ago that I would never even get to 75 and then all of the sudden I was there. :-)
I hope that is the case for the 105. :-)

message 36: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Woohoo, way to go girl!

message 37: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments 85. The Chocolate Castle Clue [Chocoholics #11] ~JoAnna Carl
September 19 - September 21, 2016
4 Stars

86. A Tale of Two Biddies [LoLL #2] ~Kylie Logan
September 25 - September 27, 2016
4 1/2 Stars

87. The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend ~Katrina Bivald
October 8 - October 16, 2016
Book Club Read
Read the World:Sweden
Kindle
4 Stars

88. The Legend of Sleepy Harlow [LoLL #3] ~Kylie Logan
October 7 - October 11, 2016
4 Stars

89. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress~Dai Sijie
October 13 - October 17, 2017
Read the World:China
4 Stars

90. The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly ~Sun-mi Hwang
October 18, 2016 [One Day Read]
52 Books in a Year: Wk 14
Read the World:Korea
YA
Kindle/Carnegie Library
4 Stars

91. The Nightingale Before Christmas [Meg Langslow #18] ~Donna Andrews
October 19 - October 23, 2016
Kindle
4 1/2 Stars

92. Harry Potter and The Cursed Child ~J.K. Rowling et al
October 23 - October 24, 2016
52 Book in a Year Challenge: Wk 52
2016 POPSUGAR Challenge:Book published in 2016 [July 31, 2016]
2016 Teacher's Reading Challenge:Book published in 2016
5+ Stars!!

93. Bird ~Rita Murphy
October 25 - October 27, 2016
Recommended by: Elsie Lansberry
YA
Kindle/Carnegie Library
5 Stars

94. The Goldfinch ~Donna Tartt
October 27, 2016 - DNF
Reading the Pulitzer's
Kindle/Carnegie Library
^ I could not finish this one. I got to 15% done and knew that I'd have to buy it as it could not be renewed and I also knew I had so much on my plate that I couldn't do it justice, so I gave it up. I LOVED what I had read up to that point so I know I will go back to it at some point [and probably use the audiobook as well].

95. Cross Roads ~Wm. Paul Young
November 10 - November 20, 2016
Book Club Read
3 Stars

96. Smile ~Raina Telgemeier
November 10, 2016 [One Day Read]
YA
Graphic Novel
5 Stars

97. The Westing Game ~Ellen Raskin
November 11, 2016 [One Day Read]
Re-read
YA
Kindle
5+ Stars

98. Lord of the Wings [Meg Langslow #19] ~Donna Andrews
November 12 - November 18, 2016
Kindle
5 Stars

99. Scarlet [The Lunar Chronicles #2] ~Marissa Meyer
November 18 - December 6, 2016
YA
Kindle/Carnegie Library
5+ Stars
^ OKAY! I am totally a fan now!! I had issues with Cinder and was not sure I wanted to read this one, but decided I had to give it a chance. BOY-HOWDY am I glad I did. This was one great book that kept me guessing until the end and had so many twists and turns I didn't know who to believe or trust or anything. If you have not read this, GO GO GO now and start it. You will not be sorry. :-)

100. Murder She Barked [Paws and Claws #1] ~Krista Davis
November 23 - November 25, 2016
Kindle
5 Stars

101. The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer [Paws and Claws #2] ~Krista Davis
November 25 - November 29, 2016
Kindle
4 Stars

102. The Golem and The Jinni ~Helene Wecker
December 6 - December 22, 2016
Book Club Read
Kindle
Audiobook/Hoopla
5 Stars

103. Glitches [The Lunar Chronicles #0.5] ~Marissa Meyer
December 4, 2016 [One Day Read]
Read for free on wattpad.com
4 Stars

104. The Little Android [The Lunar Chronicles #0.6] ~Marissa Meyer
3 1/2 Stars

105. The Queen's Army [The Lunar Chronicles #1.5] ~Marissa Meyer
4 Stars
^HOLY FREAKING MOLEY!!!!

106. And then there were Nuns [LoLL #4] ~Kylie Logan
December 3 - December 6, 2016
4 Stars

107. Star Wars: Princess Leia #1 ~Mark Waid et al
December 15, 2016 [One Day Read]
Read Harder 2016:A Non Super Hero Comic Book that Debuted in the Last Three Years [2015]
Comic Book
3 Stars

108. Waiting Here for You: An Advent Journey of Hope ~Louie Giglio
November 26 - December 25, 2016
5 Stars

message 38: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments With the 2 I did not finish, that brings my grand total to 106!!! WHOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!!!! I did it!! :)

message 39: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Yay, so happy for you my friend!!

message 40: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1739 comments Way to Go!!!!!

message 41: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Oh Dawn Michelle, I always feel overwhelmed by your updates. So many books! lol. You did great this year! I just started reading Cinder today and am already loving it. I've owned the first 3 books for so long and don't know WHY it took me so long to start the series!

message 42: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments Thank you Andrea and Stacie and Elyse!!

Elyse, I think you read more than I do!!! ♥
I am so excited that you are starting The Lunar Chronicles - Cinder was slow for me, but Scarlet! WOW, what a great book. I truly cannot wait to start Cress. Make sure you read the 1/2 books too; I didn't think they were going to be a big deal, but they are, especially The Queen's Army. You can read them for free at wattpad.com. Free is YAY!!!

And if I would remember to update this more regularly, I wouldn't overwhelm everyone with a barrage of book titles!! :-)

message 43: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I try to read and post on my lunch at work. That has helped me keep more current and also forces me to eat slower and relax...hahah

message 44: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2597 comments That is a very good plan Andrea. I just need to make a huge sticky note for my wall that says HEY YOU!!! POST TO GOODREADS ALREADY!! lol

message 45: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Hahah, I'm keep up so far this year.