The Book Vipers discussion

2016 Reading Intentions > Charlotte B Reading Intentions for 2016

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

In 2016, I want to dedicate some time to rereading some of my old favourite books. I also want to clear some more off my dusty shelf.

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 147 comments Sounds great Charlotte. I like to know more about your favourite books.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Danielle. I have so many favourites, I hardly know where to start. The ones I most want to re-read are:

The Trick is to Keep Breathing
Auschwitz and After
Northern Lights
The Fault in Our Stars
The Eyre Affair and others from that series
And, having recently finished watching the films The Hunger Games

The first three on the list are books I read at university which I keep coming back to. I have a soft spot for YA fiction (particularly dystopia) also from university study, and Jasper Fforde is one of the cleverest authors I have read. I love his work.

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments The trick is to keep breathing sounds great. Put on my to read list. I love Jasper too. So funny. Thanks for reminding me. Great reading challenge for yourself. The only book I ever re read is Tess of the Durbervilles- Thomas Hardy. We read it at school and I read it every few years. Each time I find a part I can interpret differently. Good weeping material too.

message 5: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments The trick is to keep breathing sounds great. Put on my to read list. I love Jasper too. So funny. Thanks for reminding me. Great reading challenge for yourself. The only book I ever re read is Tess of the Durbervilles- Thomas Hardy. We read it at school and I read it every few years. Each time I find a part I can interpret differently. Good weeping material too.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The Trick is to Keep Breathing

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

there should have been more message. It's a brilliant book.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Just ordered The trick is to keep breathing. Another book on my pile to read.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

You won't regret it. I reread it most years.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I reread Tess a lot too Pat. It's a beautiful book. Jane Eyre is my other go to classic

message 11: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Like Jane Eyre. We seem to agree on many thinks. Will watch your intentions with interest.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I look forward to hearing how you get on with The Trick is to Keep Breathing

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments Looks good, have added it to my list too.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel a group read coming on.

message 15: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments It's in post to me now. It will be a treat. I have so many books ahead that I need to read as they are library books and ordered specially. I look forward to it. Thanks.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Let me know when you're ready to read it Pat and we could perhaps do a buddy read?

message 17: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments May be next year as a few to catch up on. Not sure what to do in a buddy read but sounds great. Thanks.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only done one. I think it's just reading at the same time so you can discuss the book on the go. I am happy with next year. It's not a festive book and I've plenty of other general books on my to read list.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm feeling the need for a comfort read of TTITKB now.

Anyone know how you can record it against your reading goal if you've read it before? Do you have to delete and readd it?

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
It is easier to do it on the webpage rather than the app. Go to the book and click 'edit' to the right of my review that will open up where you type a review in. You can then clear the dates

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Brilliant Paul, thank you.

message 22: by Paul (new)

You're welcome

message 23: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Charlotte. I was just thinking...Who was that person who I agreed to re read, or read new classics with a long time ago. Then there you are? When shall we start?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh. What are we reading? I don't
have a fiction book on the go yet and am about to have a holiday so ready when you are!

message 25: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments if you have some books lined up give me a choice of 3 and we can decide. how exciting. sad but true

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure the ones I have are modern classics... but I have The Trick Is to Keep Breathing, Inside, The Life and Death of Sophie Stark, The Hand That First Held Mine and A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

Do any of those take your fancy? Ive at least anothrt 100 on my shelves so can happily pick slemthing else.

message 27: by Paul (new)

We should do some more read alongs. I can set the thread up when you are ready

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Paul :)

Excuse my appalling typing in the earlier post.

message 29: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments I'll order The trick is to keep breathing from library. When it arrives I'll let you know and we are away. That gives me time to read my other couple of books that I need to finish. Oh...except for The Iliad which just seems so daunting because of its size, although I enjoy it when I do pick it up.

message 30: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Thanks Paul btw

message 31: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Bought the book on Kindle with Amazon voucher. One book to go and we are off. If you are ready, I know it's a difficult time.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be good to go. Im half way through one now but should finish that
soon

message 33: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Let me know when as have just finished my one book. Other one is non fiction so no rush. You say when.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished my fiction book last night so happy to start now if you are

message 35: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Yep. I'm ready. I'm working next couple of days so may be behind you, and am a slow reader too. Never mind. It's not a race....we are off. Great

message 36: by Paul (new)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Paul

message 38: by Paul (new)

You're welcome

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

This year's aim to read more old favourites hasn't gone quite to plan. I've re-read The Fault in Our Stars, The Trick is to Keep Breathing and the Divergent series. I may try for others later in the year.

I have, however, read 47 books off my dusty shelf so far.

message 40: by Paul (new)

It is all progress Charlotte

message 41: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Well done Charlotte. That's amazing. Classics or not - 47 is 47

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm happy with my 47. It's a good amount off my tbr pile

message 43: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Excellent.