The Pickwick Club discussion

The Cricket on the Hearth
This topic is about The Cricket on the Hearth
The Cricket on the Hearth > Reading Schedule, and General Remarks

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tristram Shandy Dear Pickwickians,

next week, we are starting with our third Christmas read, namely Dickens's third Christmas novella, The Cricket on the Hearth: A Fairy Tale of Home, which Dickens wrote in the autumn of 1845. The Cricket on the Hearth was published on 20 December 1845 in book form and it enjoyed wide success with its audience.

Together with A Christmas Carol and The Chimes, it belongs to the more popular Christmas novellas by Dickens, but unlike the Carol its popularity has waned. Time for us to re-discover this story!

Here is the rather short reading schedule:

12/03 - 12/09: Chirp the First
12/10 - 12/16: Chirp the Second
12/17 - 12/24: Chirp the Third

I wish you all a wonderful Christmas season!

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Looking forward to this - it seemed overly whimsical to me last time through, but taking that on board now, I hope to enjoy it more :)

Tristram Shandy Jean wrote: "Looking forward to this - it seemed overly whimsical to me last time through, but taking that on board now, I hope to enjoy it more :)"

To be honest, Jean, I have just finished the first chapter, and to be giving my opinion on it would earn me the epithet of grump for sure ;-)

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Tristram wrote: "Jean wrote: "Looking forward to this - it seemed overly whimsical to me last time through, but taking that on board now, I hope to enjoy it more :)"

To be honest, Jean, I have just finished the fi..."

You have that anyway.

Tristram Shandy And I mean to live up to it! But I'm saving it for my review ;-)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Just had a quick glance at the first chirpy thread - wow! Have to say thanks here for all the work you've put in on this, Tristram and Kim! I'm chirping away tomorrow, so will read it all afterwards :)

Tristram Shandy Jean, I'm looking forward to your comments!

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) It's so very tongue in cheek! I'd forgotten that :D