Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > January 2016 Contemporary Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our January group read and discussion (beginning January 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. We also read one or more short stories each month; that discussion starts the 11th of each month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that these are nominations for our January discussion topic. The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley has already been selected as our December Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Saturday, December 5, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Andreas (new)

Andreas | 677 comments I'd like to nominate The Children of Húrin

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 329 comments Andreas wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Children of Húrin"

I second that!

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 686 comments Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story by Marion G. Harmon. As the categories show, it's SF or fantasy or something. . . .

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: Today, Saturday, is the final day to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our January group read and discussion.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2161 comments I'll nominate Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 329 comments Jim wrote: "I'll nominate Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi."

I'm curious about this one. I like Scalzi, and Little Fuzzy is... unique. So it's interesting.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for January (starting January 21) is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice. Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that these are nominations for our January discussion topic. The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley has already been selected as our December Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Saturday, November 11.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: For those interested in discussing one of our January contemporary SF/F novel nominees, today (Saturday) is the final day of voting. Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron
Our selected Contemporary Fantasy Novel discussion topic for January will be...

The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

The discussion will begin January 21.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mankowski (sarahmankowski) | 246 comments Just noticed that Audible has it on sale for $7.74 and it is read by Christopher Lee!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.