English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > December 2015 read-along

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Nov 29, 2015 04:50AM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4310 comments Mod
For December 2015 we will read the following books: MemoRandom by Anders de la Motte to be published December 1, 2015, Death Spiral by Leena Lehtolainen to be published December 8, 2015, The Treacherous Net by Helene Tursten to be published December 15, 2015, and The Chosen to be published December 31, 2015 also to be included in January 2016. As always we will add books when they come available to us. Good reading.

message 2: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (last edited Nov 29, 2015 06:25AM) (new)

Sharon | 2424 comments Mod
The Treacherous Net ....I still cannot get a hit on for pre order so suspect there will be another title used!!!

Almost finished The Chosen and it's an amazingly good read....love her books.

Thanks.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawn921) | 43 comments Just won "memo random" from goodreads!

message 4: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Nov 30, 2015 10:33AM) (new)

Blood Ran Cold by Sten Ostberg is the first book written by the author on kindle it was published November 17, 2015, it's a short story. It's from Norway.

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary Van Cott | 132 comments Sharon wrote: "The Treacherous Net ....I still cannot get a hit on for pre order so suspect there will be another title used!!!..."

I have it on request from our library (Las Vegas, NV) and it shows up as a potential pre-order on Amazon. So one can get it in the US when it is published on December 15.

message 6: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Sharon wrote: "The Treacherous Net ....I still cannot get a hit on for pre order so suspect there will be another title used!!!

Almost finished The Chosen and it's an amazingly good read....love her books.

Tha..."

Prior to 2 months ago I could get it but only in dvd's not books, I'm sure its under another title in the UK and Holland.

message 7: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Kenneth wrote: "Sharon wrote: "The Treacherous Net ....I still cannot get a hit on for pre order so suspect there will be another title used!!!

Almost finished The Chosen and it's an amazingly good read....love h..."

Actually it is on Amazon Germany as a DVD too here Kenneth....her series is made into tv films very quickly. And they are very good but so far, in my experience only in German...... I'll look in the new year again.

message 8: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi D | 122 comments Kenneth wrote: "For December 2015 we will read the following books: MemoRandom by Anders de la Motte to be published December 1, 2015, Death Spiral by [author:Leena..."

Great! I am currently reading Hostage and I have to say that with all of the things happening in the world lately...it is very eerie to read.

message 9: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Bobbi wrote: "Kenneth wrote: "For December 2015 we will read the following books: MemoRandom by Anders de la Motte to be published December 1, 2015, Death Spiral ..."

It's a good read indeed. Her next book is also very good, The Chosen, just finished it.

message 10: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Dec 07, 2015 09:08AM) (new)

I read the short story that Sten Ostberg wrote and was blown away. What would you do if an escaped convict got out of a mental facility and kept your wife and you locked up in your cabin in the woods. Read it, its about a two hour read, with interruptions.

message 11: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 223 comments Mod
Kenneth wrote: "I read the short story that Sten Ostberg wrote and was blown away. What would you do if an escaped convict got out of a mental facility and kept your wife and you locked up in you..."

Good to hear that, Kenneth. I took a chance & got it from Netgalley, haven't read this author before.

message 12: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 257 comments I've heard that the Irene Huss series is another one of those that should be read in order. I've had Helene Tursten's first book sitting on my TBR shelf for a couple of years, This book is her 8th - I need to catch up, so I'll start reading her first book during the holidays :-)

message 13: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 257 comments There's also a tv series based on the books called Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Has anyone seen it? If so, does the tv series stand up to the books?

message 14: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Icewineanne wrote: "There's also a tv series based on the books called Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Has anyone seen it? If so, does the tv series stand up to the books?"

Totally excellent. In fact, characters just come to life. But personally only watched German. Not sure if English subs available. So many of these great Scandinavian book series are made into TV movie length series and all are IMHO exceptional quality. Friends in Canada have success getting from their library.

message 15: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

It's really fantastic, follows the books really well. It's subtitles in English.

message 16: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 223 comments Mod
Icewineanne wrote: "There's also a tv series based on the books called Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Has anyone seen it? If so, does the tv series stand up to the books?"

I'm currently in the queue for these from my public library. It has 12 episodes, don't know if that's the whole series, but all the reviews are positive. Swedish with english subtitles.

message 17: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sandy wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "There's also a tv series based on the books called Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Has anyone seen it? If so, does the tv series stand up to the books?"

I'm currently in the qu..."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen...

Sounds fabulous, know you will enjoy. I watch them on German tv and they dub everything just like France.

message 18: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Dec 16, 2015 06:43AM) (new)

Helen found a new book called Victim Without a Face by Stefan Ahnhem ], she says that he wrote with Henning Mankell for his TV series. I put it as currently reading.

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments Kenneth wrote: "Helen found a new book called Victim Without a Face by Stefan Ahnhem ], she says that he wrote with Henning Mankell for his TV series. I put it as cu..." I have been reading this book. It is a tad long and very detailed. A different type of detective Fabian Risk, what a name!. Married with two children. When I finish this book (600 pages) I will know a lot more about Sweden and Denmark. Especially the bridge between the two as he is constantly crossing and stopping at it. Other critics have described it as gory. This aspect has not troubled me yet.

message 20: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 223 comments Mod
I was putting a hold on this book at my library when I noticed he also co-wrote some of the Irene Huss series that I'm currently watching on DVD. They're really good so far.
I didn't know he'd written a novel so thanks Helen, for mentioning this book.

message 21: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Finished The Treacherous Net by Helene Tursten. Was actually two separate cases. The first case her former boss, Andersson worked on. It was a cold case from 1941. it was quite complex and had the title the Net. Which actually turned out to be nothing they were originally looking into. Irene Huss worked on the other case, so did several other people. It involved a case of two girls who were contacted on the internet being killed and then raped. Two different Nets. It continues Irene's life. Read it.

message 22: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Kenneth wrote: "Finished The Treacherous Net by Helene Tursten. Was actually two separate cases. The first case her former boss, Andersson worked on. It was a cold case from 1941. i..."

Thanks for this Kenneth.... I was thrilled to do yet another search and there it is finally so downloaded just now and will enjoy when time permits. Happy Holidays.

message 23: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 257 comments Kenneth wrote: "It's really fantastic, follows the books really well. It's subtitles in English."

Our library has copies but I think I will read the first 3 books in the series before watching the tv series. I like to form my own impressions of the character.
Thanks Kenneth!

message 24: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Icewineanne wrote: "Kenneth wrote: "It's really fantastic, follows the books really well. It's subtitles in English."

Our library has copies but I think I will read the first 3 books in the series before watching the..."

If you mean Irene Huss series ...yes do read first. IMHO the first books were amazing. And like all character driven series, the development of each personality is well written and cases seem to flow one after the other. I've read them and then watched and no problems but very good reads!

message 25: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 223 comments Mod
Just finished binge watching the Irene Huss TV series & "The Treacherous Net" was seriously creepy.....and really good. Great casting.

message 26: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Dec 23, 2015 06:24PM) (new)

Added The Scream of the Butterfly by Jakob Melander was published November 17, 2015. Danish.

message 27: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (last edited Dec 24, 2015 04:43AM) (new)

Sandy | 223 comments Mod
Kenneth wrote: "Added The Scream of the Butterfly by Jakob Melander was published November 17, 2015. Danish."

Hi Kenneth. Have you read him before? He's a new author to me but I see my library has "The House that Jack Built" (probably a different title for Canada) about a serial killer in Copenhagen. Have you read this? Thanks.

message 28: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 257 comments Yes, Sandy, I also haven'theard of him. Is this a series? If so what is the 1st book?

message 29: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 223 comments Mod
Icewineanne wrote: "Yes, Sandy, I also haven'theard of him. Is this a series? If so what is the 1st book?"

Yes, I found 3 books featuring cop Lars Winkler in Copenhagen. I think there is also at least 2 stand alones but it's hard to tell what with the different titles in different countries for the same book.

message 30: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Sandy wrote: "Kenneth wrote: "Added The Scream of the Butterfly by Jakob Melander was published November 17, 2015. Danish."

Hi Kenneth. Have you read him before? He's a new auth..."

His first book of three was "The House that Jack Built", his second is "The Scream of the Butterfly".

message 31: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 223 comments Mod
Thanks, Kenneth. I'll have to add that to my TBR pile.