Science and Inquiry discussion

Fermat's Enigma
This topic is about Fermat's Enigma
Book Club 2016 > January 2016 - Fermat's Enigma

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1643 comments Mod
For January 2016, we will be reading Fermat's Enigma: The Epic Quest to Solve the World's Greatest Mathematical Problem.

Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

message 2: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Is anybody reading this book?

message 3: by Ben (new) - added it

Ben | 1 comments Yes!
Still working on it.

message 4: by Elentarri (new)

Elentarri No - sorry. The subject matter just doesn't appeal to me.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 617 comments No, couldn't find an audio book for it & it probably wouldn't be good in that media. It doesn't really interest me, either. I've never had much use for maths above simple geometry & algebra. I've forgotten almost all the calculus I took.

message 6: by Glynn (last edited Jan 15, 2016 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glynn | 52 comments I started this one just around New Year's but got distracted. I really like the author's writing style. Finished chapter one. I never realized that Pythagoras was almost like a cult figure and that there was an actual Pythagorean Brotherhood. I wonder if the Cylons from Battlestar Gallactica were named after Cylon, who was rejected from the Brotherhood (pg 26.)

message 7: by Lemar (new)

Lemar | 9 comments I have a fantastic review of this book which unfortunately the margins of this page can not contain... But seriously folks, I am very interested to read this book and am waiting for it to come in to my local library.

message 8: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 173 comments I'd like to -- but working on finishing a few other books first.

Charlene | 26 comments I enjoyed Andrew Wiles passion. I found this BBC documentary that compliments the book very well. You can put a face to the names. Or, for those who don't wish to read the book, you can get almost the entire story from the documentary at this link:

https://vimeo.com/18216532

message 10: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 173 comments Charlene wrote: "I enjoyed Andrew Wiles passion. I found this BBC documentary that compliments the book very well. You can put a face to the names. Or, for those who don't wish to read the book, you can get almost ..."

Thank you. Now to set aside an hour to watch it.

David Rubenstein | 855 comments Mod
I read the book a year ago, and really really enjoyed it. While the story is about a mathematical problem, the author makes it sound like a detective story! Here is my review.

message 12: by Inderzit (new) - added it

Inderzit Sidhu (ijxsid) | 2 comments I am just starting to read this. Hopefully, I'll be able to complete this by the end of the month.

message 13: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Inderzit wrote: "I am just starting to read this. Hopefully, I'll be able to complete this by the end of the month."

If you can't, it's no big deal. The discussion thread will still be open and you can continue posting ad infinitum.

Glynn | 52 comments Great section on how women have been discouraged from studying mathematics over the centuries, and the life of Sophie Germain, in chapter 4.

Glynn | 52 comments I watched the latest episode of the TV Series "Scorpion" the other night. The character Walter O'Brien claimed on the show to have proved Fermat's Last Theorem when he was 9! He is not mentioned in Simon Singh's book. LOL

Charlene | 26 comments Glynn wrote: "I watched the latest episode of the TV Series "Scorpion" the other night. The character Walter O'Brien claimed on the show to have proved Fermat's Last Theorem when he was 9! He is not mentioned in..."

hahaha

David Rubenstein | 855 comments Mod
Glynn wrote: "I watched the latest episode of the TV Series "Scorpion" the other night. The character Walter O'Brien claimed on the show to have proved Fermat's Last Theorem when he was 9! He is not mentioned in..."

That was a deliberate oversight? :-)

Glynn | 52 comments Charlene wrote: "I enjoyed Andrew Wiles passion. I found this BBC documentary that compliments the book very well. You can put a face to the names..."

Thanks Charlene, this was great. After finishing the book I watched this and it was cool to see interviews with the actual characters from the book.