Vermont College MFAers discussion

Keeping the VC momentum

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

David | 5 comments Mod
Hey, everyone. Feel free to post discussions about anything, but I thought I'd get things started by asking a question. (Ignore it if you like.) In the MFA program, there's a clear structure that puts pressure on students to get writing work done -- but how do you keep that going once you graduate? What, in your experience, are the challenges, and what are the (partial) solutions that have worked for you?

message 2: by Paula (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Paula | 1 comments I like to self-berate and riddle myself with guilt. If that gets dull for some reason, I carve out "office hours" that cannot be negotiated in my weekly schedule, no matter how wonky my weekly schedule is.

I used to adhere to a minimum of two magazine submissions per month, too, which kept me generating. I didn't meet my submission quota every single month, but it worked pretty well to keep me writing.

Thanks for starting this, David!

message 3: by Carol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Carol Bachofner | 2 comments I like to conince myself my work is still going to be read by my faculty mentors. Keeps me on my toes when I am inclined to slip into that reductive ending!

Seriously, writing every day is my big thing. Even if it is one line. And reading like a mad woman.

Carol '04

message 4: by Zack (last edited Dec 07, 2008 11:05AM) (new)

Zack | 2 comments I find my experience with monthly packets has helped me meet deadlines as a freelance writer and my vigorous dialogue with advisors experience has helped in writing proposals to editors.