Support for Indie Authors discussion

Reciprocal (Infinity #1)
This topic is about Reciprocal

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new)

K. Kidd | 49 comments Heather,
Very nice! The filming was great, and the music was perfect. Loved the storyteller's voice too.

-Kolleen

message 2: by Alp (new)

Alp Mortal Here's a trailer we did using professional v/o talent - the result was really good we thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as_x5...

It was really good fun too and that was the point I suppose.

message 3: by K. (new)

K. Kidd | 49 comments Alp wrote: "Here's a trailer we did using professional v/o talent - the result was really good we thought

Alp,
Just watched your trailer. Loved the pro v/o! The result was really good. Nice job - thanks for sharing. :)
-Kolleen

message 4: by Alp (new)

Alp Mortal K. wrote: "Alp wrote: "Here's a trailer we did using professional v/o talent - the result was really good we thought

Alp,
Just watched your trailer. Loved the pro v/o! The result was really good. Nice job -..."

You're welcome. Happy to share our experience of the production if that would be helpful. We are planning more because they are really fun to do, and incredibly useful for perfecting blurbs! FYI, we paid for very little stock footage and images; I was amazed at what we found for free on the internet.

Alp

message 5: by Andres (new)

Andres Mann | 15 comments Excellent clip.

message 6: by Rian (new)

Rian Nejar (riannejar) Alp wrote: "K. wrote: "Alp wrote: "Here's a trailer we did using professional v/o talent - the result was really good we thought

Alp,
Just watched your trailer. Loved the pro v/o! The result was really good...."

Alp, do share your production process. This may be something we might want to do for future book blasts...

message 7: by Alp (new)

Alp Mortal Rian wrote: "Alp wrote: "K. wrote: "Alp wrote: "Here's a trailer we did using professional v/o talent - the result was really good we thought

Alp,
Just watched your trailer. Loved the pro v/o! The result was ..."

For sure - I didn't want to hijack the thread - will work something up if you think it would be of interest.

Alp

message 8: by Alp (new)

Alp Mortal Rian wrote: "Alp wrote: "K. wrote: "Alp wrote: "Here's a trailer we did using professional v/o talent - the result was really good we thought

Alp,
Just watched your trailer. Loved the pro v/o! The result was ..."

Book trailers, I think, will always be a vote splitter when it comes to deciding if they are worth doing at all - we set out to have fun, with no expectations of getting any views at all (and certainly no direct book sales). They do represent a portal for the work,author,publisher and brand, just like any other form of advertising.

Our first effort was The Baker of Son Frere - is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7z2u...

I did the voice over, and the trailer was created in Microsoft Movie Maker. Having watched a good few trailers before we got to the point of recording our own, we already knew that we wanted a voice over - so few of those we saw had voice overs; and a decent piece of music was essential.

Choices abound - did we do a kind of story in pictures - visual blurb if you will - or something more promotional - more like a true TV ad - or abstract - or even animated (try and find a decent illustrator who actually uses a pencil these days!) - we decided to do the visual blurb because we already had, in effect, the script for the v/o - that voice over got recorded at a friend's studio in one afternoon. It was my first time recording anything - it took a lot of takes because I kept running out of breath and tripping over words that I had read a hundred times before - it was pretty tiring but well worth it for the experience. We left with an audio file which needed to be married with the music first, and then the soundtrack married to the visuals.

Shannon found the images - through a variety of sources - depositphotos, pixabay, etc, and I found the music on the Youtube music library - everything we found was free. The v/o and music were initially combined in a product called Audacity. The visuals and soundtrack got put together in Movie Maker - very easy. Created Youtube channel, and uploaded the file.

Lessons learned

In Youtube, either turn off captions or plug in your own - don't use autogenerated captions - you get jibberish.

As a first effort, we were pretty pleased. Alongside this, we were producing audiobooks with a prof' v/o talent and it wasn't a quantum leap to decide to get him to do the next book trailer v/o - so pleased that we did.

Meantime, we bought a product called Power Director.

Next project was Dust Jacket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as_x5...

Already knew we were going to want to use video and stills in this one - it's the natural evolution. Again decided on a visual blurb but with better intro and tail end this time (please note - we are re-doing the Baker trailer now, having had the v/o re-done by the same talent). Also included, right up a front, a short excerpt to set the tone - that worked brilliantly, especially with the choice of music.

Found plenty of free videos online - but we paid for the first segment (man walking down hallway - it was worth every cent.) Music came from the same artist - also free. Images from a variety of sources - all free. Shannon did some tutorials on the product and the editing process, plus, we watched a ton more book trailers (Wayward Ink has produced the most), and still agreed that video+voice over and decent music was more appealing and a lot more interesting than what we see most of the time.

Power Director is awesome for transitions and effects and more powerful than Audacity when it comes to marrying v/o to music - but there was a pretty rapid and steep learning curve to get over (but it is a professional product, used by lots of professional editors).

Lessons Learned

would never use anything but a prof' v/o talent - the result speaks for itself
always use video - more dynamic and visually appealing
music is vital - and it took a few days to find the right track
depending on the book, duration of visual blurb can't really exceed 2.5 minutes (our beta viewers agreed) - we think an excerpt-based short video might go to 5 minutes.

Choice of images/video, music, voice talent, script, and style = a lot of hard work but great fun
Editing = a bit more work than it first appeared, getting easier
Do more? = absolutely!

Hope that was useful.

Please get back to us if you have any questions. We would be willing to produce book trailers for other authors - ask for details.

Best
Alp

message 9: by Rian (new)

Rian Nejar (riannejar) Thanks, Alp, that's very informative and helpful! Haven't read it in full, and absorbed it, I may have some questions when I do... :-)

best,
-rian