The 2015 Book Genre Challenge discussion

Suggestions > December Suggestions - Dystopia

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Hey everyone! It's almost December!! The holiday season is upon us! I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Anyway, this is definitely one of the busiest times of the year, but we still want to hear your suggestions for our last genre - DYSTOPIA!

This was tied with Urban Fantasy in the beginning of the year, but you all decided you wanted dystopia to be our final genre, so here we are :D

Tell us what you hope to read this month in the ever popular dystopian genre!

message 2: by Tamara (last edited Nov 29, 2015 05:36PM) (new)

Tamara (tamarasan) I'm going to be reading Battle Royale, which is a Japanese novel. When the Hunger Games came out, a lot of people I knew made comparisons between the two.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (niceisneat) | 4 comments I'll be reading The Handmaid's Tale. I've had it on my shelf for a while and I've been meaning to read it forever!

message 4: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (maywereadagain) I'll be reading Divergent because I'm super late to reading all the popular YA dystopian series! The book has been staring at me from my shelf for a year and come winter break I'll finally have time to read it.

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen (cooksbooks78) I am considering Divergent and The Maze Runner

message 6: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Oh my God I don't know what to read!!!! I feel like I've read every dystopian book out there. Do you guys have suggestions besides the popular ones???

message 7: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tamarasan) Silvia wrote: "Oh my God I don't know what to read!!!! "

I actually just found a tumblr post the other day that had dystopian fiction: http://just0nemorepage.tumblr.com/pos...

I'm also planning on reading Across the Universe because I won it from Beth Revis herself and I haven't read it yet! >.>;

message 8: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) I plan to read Ready Player One, which luckily is a standalone, and I've been wanting to re-read the Legend trilogy, unless something more interesting comes up during the voting.

message 9: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Tamara wrote: "Silvia wrote: "Oh my God I don't know what to read!!!! "

I actually just found a tumblr post the other day that had dystopian fiction: http://just0nemorepage.tumblr.com/pos...-..."

Woah this list is great! I actually just realized I have 1984, Unwind, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Steelheart, Red Rising, and Battle Royale on my TBR pile. Thanks so much Tamara!

message 10: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 75 comments I don't really like Dystopia or maybe it's more that it doesn't really attract me? I don't hate it particularly I just tend to avoid it. That's a really helpful list Tamara, may give one or two of those a try at some point.

Anyway,another one here who will be reading The Handmaid's Tale as I've been meaning to read it for ages.

message 11: by Lilithcarter (new)

Lilithcarter | 1 comments Tamara wrote: "I'm going to be reading Battle Royale, which is a Japanese novel. When the Hunger Games came out, a lot of people I knew made comparisons between the two."

Oh i guess im going to be reading that book too. I got it earlier this year and haven't actually have thyme to read anything at all, and thats the only dystopia I have on my shelfs

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 28 comments I've cracked the covers of Red Queen and it has a very Hunger Games dystopian feel to it so far - but I haven't got more than about 50 pages in, so that may be my pick.

The Handmaid's Tale has been warming the bench of my to-read shelf for quite a while as well.

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 28 comments Soledad wrote: "I plan to read Ready Player One, which luckily is a standalone, and I've been wanting to re-read the Legend trilogy, unless something more interesting comes up during the voting."

Ernest Cline has a new book out, Armada, which might be a sequel to RP1. But if it is a sequel - or even just set in the RP1 universe - then the earlier book is the place to start. Lucky for you RP1's also AWESOME.

message 14: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 1 comments I'm reading Hunger

message 15: by Madge (new)

Madge (madge_the_bibliomaniac) I'm not sure what I'll read. Probably Allegiant because I've been putting off finishing the trilogy for too long.

I almost wish I had a copy of When She Woke so I could re-read it, though.

message 16: by Roisin (new)

Roisin (incomplete-sentence) | 14 comments Does Red Rising count as Dystopia?

message 17: by Neele (new)

Neele | 2 comments I´ll probably continue reading "Red Queen". So far it´s been really exciting

message 18: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (mmebookworm) | 16 comments I've never read an Atwood, so this is perfect.

message 19: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) Suzanne wrote: "Soledad wrote: "I plan to read Ready Player One, which luckily is a standalone, and I've been wanting to re-read the Legend trilogy, unless something more interesting comes up during..."

Awww, I hope that's not the case. Though from what I saw on the reviews no one mentions anything about it; everyone only comments about how disappointed they were about it.