Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird) Go Set a Watchman discussion

does it piss you off...

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom George ...how this site reccommends stuff to you based on what you've read? (this discussion is nothing to do with Harper Lee btw). Just cos I've read one author, or subject, doesn't mean I want to carry on down that road. You will never predict my tastes, goodreads! I know you're part of amazon and just a tendril of the global publishing industry (and enemy of all independent retailers) but I searched for a decent book discussion site, but there isn't one anywhere near as well-built as this one. So here I am. I only rarely buy things from amazon. I like bookshops - secondhand ones preferably. I love the chaotic, serendipitous process of book-discovery. I don't know what I want to read next and you certainly don't either!

Randi There were times I followed their suggestions, and the books were good. I discovered new authors I would not have known about.

Kressel Housman I agree with Randi.

message 4: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg I'm embarrassed that I belong to a social media outlet that names the worst book of the 20th century as best fiction of 2015.

David Schwinghammer Harper Lee had one hell of an editor.

message 6: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg David wrote: "Harper Lee had one hell of an editor."
Yes, and you're being very generous.

kathleen My question is how could "Go Set a Watchman" win Best Fiction of the year when it is only rated by readers on Goodreads as 3.34 average score? The figures make no sense?

message 8: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg kathleen wrote: "My question is how could "Go Set a Watchman" win Best Fiction of the year when it is only rated by readers on Goodreads as 3.34 average score? The figures make no sense?"
Kathleen, organized block voting. Only 16% of the readers voted "Watchman" best, 84% of us voted for the other books. It's easy given facebook, twitter, etc., to organize a block vote. But you're right about that 3.34 rating. Another nominee, "A Little Life" has a 4.2 rating. This isn't about quality at all.

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom George Newsflash!! Amazon want to sell books!! Everyone in the industry loves hype and reviewing is just part of it. It pisses me off that you can't have a dead author among your favourites on this site. Most of my favourites are dead! They only want people to talk about authors currently producing product.

Thomas James How does one leave a written review on the book? I can rate one star but not leave a review.
It's not a sequel as readers are commenting. I too am embarrassed this is the number one book. Had it been published under a pen name and character's names changed, I'm sure it wouldn't get five star reviews.

message 11: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Thomas wrote: "How does one leave a written review on the book? I can rate one star but not leave a review.
It's not a sequel as readers are commenting. I too am embarrassed this is the number one book. Had it be..."

Hi Thomas, once you rate a book, look up over the rating when a message ask you to write a review, then click on that. I'm new to goodreads, so I'm just getting the hang of everything here, and there is a LOT!!!

message 12: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Tom wrote: "...how this site reccommends stuff to you based on what you've read? (this discussion is nothing to do with Harper Lee btw). Just cos I've read one author, or subject, doesn't mean I want to carry ..."
Tom, I too love the "book discovery process." I love pulling something off a shelf that I've never heard of, opening it up, skipping the book jacket blurbs, and just diving right in, knowing nothing. I did that recently with Naipaul's "A House for Mr. Biswas" and was rewarded with a very unusual story in a setting I had never encountered. Often, when goodreads suggest something, I automatically feel the "been there done that" syndrome and just skip it. But you never know!

Alexis Webb Why would getting any kind of recommendation piss anyone off?
You don't have to follow it.

message 14: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Alexis wrote: "Why would getting any kind of recommendation piss anyone off?
You don't have to follow it."

Hi Alexis, some people simply don't like advertisements. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, cable television was invented and offered the people a chance to watch television with no commercials and they were very thankful. At least that's my understanding of this fable.

Wayne's Yes Amazon wants to sell books, but they make a profit whatever books you buy. An algorithm can only predict based on what you have read. As we all know we do not read to a pattern and we often choose at random. A recommendation at best throws up new titles and writers to try at worst it leaves you where you started.

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom George Part of it is that I had a few years out from reading, and now I'm back into it I have a list of books I want to catch up on, and I don't want to be distracted from it!

message 17: by CD (new) - rated it 2 stars

CD Greg wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Why would getting any kind of recommendation piss anyone off?
Hi Alexis, some people simply don't like advertisements. A long time ago, in a galaxy far,..."

But like all good commercials it lied a little bit. The ads and commercials are still with us. But now, we get to pay for the commercials too!

message 18: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg CD wrote: "Greg wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Why would getting any kind of recommendation piss anyone off?
Hi Alexis, some people simply don't like advertisements. A long time ago, in ..."

CD, exactly, no such thing as a free lunch. But we've always known that.

joepr A mí me gusta leer las recomendaciones y las reseñas. No tengo que seguirlas al pie de la letra pero muchas veces son instructivas. Uno decide que reseña o recomendación tomarle la palabra.

Linda OK, I agree about "A Little Life" being a much better book than "Watchman...", I agree that some of the recommendations for me are really off and I prefer hunting for books to read. And the Amazon/Goodreads connection bugs me. BUT, I buy few books, because I get mine at the local Library. so I spend nothing for the latest books. I look on Amazon for the new books that might interest me and put a request in my library. It is rarely a week for me to receive the book and if I don't finish it... no $$$ lost. It's win-win for me.

message 21: by AgCl (new) - rated it 2 stars

AgCl Not really, it's not like they put up pop-ups or other forms of forced ads for these recommendations. You actually have to go to the page to view most of them and its your choice to keep scrolling on the side tab. If you want the whole "surprise-me experience" then so be it but don't expect the site to give you that because its not an oracle. I mean would you get pissed at your well meaning friends just because they suggested a book that you have no intention of reading whatsoever?

Brandon I think the recommendations can work if the reader has a particular genre of writing they enjoy like romance or historical fiction or sci-fi because it can introduce you to newer writers or series. If, however, your reading habits are all over the place - as are mine- than the recommendations are often useless. I'm not sure if I have ever taken any of the recommendations offered on this site but if I did it was probably because I had been wanting to read the book anyway. This isn't the only site that suffers from this either I have the same problem with my nook and their recommendations in the online store. Still, I think it is a good thing to have a recommendations page if not for me than for either readers who may just be starting to get into reading heavily or for those who want to expand their horizons.

Meran Greg wrote: "I'm embarrassed that I belong to a social media outlet that names the worst book of the 20th century as best fiction of 2015."

I agree with you..l

Meran I'm at about 50/50 on the recommended books, through groups. It definitely generated sales from me, so many that unless they came First Edition, Signed, I've been buying used.
Which also pisses me off because then the author gets ~nothing from the sale

message 25: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Meran wrote: "Greg wrote: "I'm embarrassed that I belong to a social media outlet that names the worst book of the 20th century as best fiction of 2015."

I agree with you..l"

Hi Meran, frightening isn't it? And although "Girl on a Train" was okay, "Truth and Other Lies" was, for me, the best mystery of the year. And the best horror? That's an easy one too: "A Little Life", easily the most terrifying book of this year, perhaps the best horror novel ever. Can you name just one other book in which more horrific things happen?

message 26: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Meran wrote: "I'm at about 50/50 on the recommended books, through groups. It definitely generated sales from me, so many that unless they came First Edition, Signed, I've been buying used.
Which also pisses me..."

Meran, I buy very few books, as the library system in my county probably has 99% of all books published in English either on shelves at 14 branches or on line. You raise a very good point about authors not getting commission on books sold/purchased at used book stores. However, I've spent a buck or so on a used book and loved it so much I then purchased the author's newest book in hardback at full price cause I knew I would read it, love it, and keep it to reread it again. Truly great authors are few and far between, and in this world most of the great books do eventually become perennial bestsellers. (I'm sure there are great, unpublished works and that's sad.) And I've never seen a single hardback copy of "Gone With the Wind" in a used book store, so there is that also in favor of truly great books which people do buy and keep.

Meran Greg wrote: "Meran wrote: "I'm at about 50/50 on the recommended books, through groups. It definitely generated sales from me, so many that unless they came First Edition, Signed, I've been buying used.
Which ..."

I gave up on libraries about 20 yrs ago. They keep the "best sellers" for about two years, then sell them. Others, they keep only a few months.

And it's very discouraging to come in, time after time, ask for a book I saw referenced, and be told (in a haughty voice), that the "library only has books that people will WANT to read".

Really.

I have, in my collection, some apparently rare books, since they've either been pulped or turned into art projects.

(I cringe when I see carved first editions, pages ripped out of others and glued into art journals. And I'm an artist! I just hope they've used the really bad books that most everyone wonders HOW it got published in the first place.)

Meran Greg wrote: "Meran wrote: "Greg wrote: "I'm embarrassed that I belong to a social media outlet that names the worst book of the 20th century as best fiction of 2015."

I agree with you..l"
Hi Meran, frightening..."

I've not read those.

But horrific events? Lol. Have you read John Dies at the End? Or the sequel? (I admit that I'm a fan of Horror.)

message 29: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Meran wrote: "Greg wrote: "Meran wrote: "Greg wrote: "I'm embarrassed that I belong to a social media outlet that names the worst book of the 20th century as best fiction of 2015."

I agree with you..l"
Hi Meran..."

Meran, no, I haven't read that one. I do like some horror books, I thought "The Terror" was fantastic. Who is writer of "John..."