Christian Readers discussion

Practical vs. Impractical

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

David | 1 comments If you are like me, you either read for fun or you read to learn. Oddly enough, I never buy any books for leisure from a Christian bookstore. Just titles that will teach me something. For instance, I picked up a new book called, "Help I've Been Asked to Preach". I recognized the potential for an education on how to prepare and preach a sermon that I, a regular guy, could understand. I wasn't dissapointed. I also buy Bibles, and resource books. But I never end up going into the Christian stores and look for a book just for fun. Are you the same? Can you explain to me what the subconscience reasoning might be?

message 2: by Ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 16 comments David. I think that is a great point. Well I guess it all depends on what someone defines as "fun." Just about anything I read is fun for me, but essentially I take more joy from a good ficiton rather than something on theology or christian living (usually, but not always).

So for me it is the lack of great ficition out there in general and specifically anything that I would find at a Christian bookstore (I have worked at one I should know). Other than something from Tolkein or C.S. Lewis I probably will find some romance stuff or something that doesn't appeal to me. At least not in anything I have found. I have been on a Dostoevsky and G.K. Chesterton fiction kick lately. None of which you would find there. I hope some great Evangelicals come out with some better fiction.

message 3: by Heidi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Heidi I don't normally get "fun" reads from Christian book stores because I escape through fiction and I've found most "inspirational fiction" to be heavy on the "inspiration" (dogma, platitudes) and light on the "fiction" (good characters and writing). Of course there are exceptions, but I've read enough to make me wary.

That's not to say that there aren't good non-instructional Christian books out there. (I'm a fan of Anne Lamott's nonfiction, for example). And I've received plenty of inspiration from books that weren't necessarily written with that intent. Truth is truth wherever you find it.