Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Fan Fiction Forum

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
For those who wish to discuss, share, and otherwise fan over Jane Austen Fan Fiction (JAFF) that is thus far unpublished, but still available for readers to read and share. If you can share the link to the Fan Fic site, too.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Does anyone read Juliecoop's stories on A Happy Assembly? Do you know if she is starting another story soon? She normally posts one through Christmas and it's become a Christmas tradition for me to read her WIP through Christmas. This year she doesn't seem to be posting one though? :(

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicap) | 14 comments I was 'talking' with Debra Marvin today on Twitter - she's one of the authors of Austen in Austin, a collection of 4 modern Austenesque novellas due to be published sometime in January. Anyway, she offered to send me an ARC and told me to spread the word amongst my Austen-y friends that she'd love to send out some more ARCs to anyone who's interested. She's @DebraEMarvin on Twitter.

message 4: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
Thanks, Monica! I don't mind helping a new published author out by doing a review. I can't do one this month, but maybe if she still wants reviews in a couple of months I'd be able to do it. You're welcome to give her my name.

message 5: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments I need "Windmill of Their Minds." Does anyone have it??

message 6: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Claudine, I left a message on jaffindex.com asking for info about this story. I also found the Lory Lilian commented about it in an interview on Laughing with Lizzy about 2 yrs ago and left her a message on FB. I'll let you know if anything comes back positive.

message 7: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Thanks Erika!! You're such an awesome friend! When someone like Lory highly recommends a story, I'm just dying to read it too!

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments Some of us are reading (or just finished reading) another unpublished work by the author of Ebb and Flow, Ayden. This one is called The Great Game, set in the 1830s, and moves back and forth between India and Great Britain. You can find it by clicking on the GR link for Ebb and Flow, and then just back up to Ayden's home page for the second story. Be warned that content is, as Sheila says, "exotic and erotic" and ODC has premarital sex. There's a bit of intrigue mixed in for good measure, with a Russian spy somewhere in their midst.

message 9: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Claudine, I just wanted to let you know I heard back from Lory Lilian and she does not have a copy of Windmills. I'm sorry. Lory did say that Ayden had removed it while she made changes and was going to repost it, but I guess she never finished what she was doing. I'm still waiting to hear back from the website I left a message on.

message 10: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Thanks Erika!! Someone in JAFF Recs sent it to me last night. Would you like me to send it to you later?

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments I just finished reading The Great Game.

A thought which I will include in any review I am able to post: This story is written in words that manage to seduce the reader, carrying one to delightful realms, full of sensations, surrounding a person with the total emotional and, dare I say it, touching on the physical experience.…Yes, this author knows how to transform the reader into a voyeur…oh, so well done.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary | 452 comments Wow!!!! A beautifully crafted review Sheila.

message 13: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments I would love to post all my thoughts and am writing them up to save. As Debbie said in another post my brief opinion is that is is exotic and erotic!

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Erika wrote: "Claudine, I just wanted to let you know I heard back from Lory Lilian and she does not have a copy of Windmills. I'm sorry. Lory did say that Ayden had removed it while she made changes and was goi..."

I have a connection to Windmills from Claudine. Did she contact you back? So she must have found it.

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Sophia, how do we post a link to this in order to post a review? This is one that should be not only lauded but also shared with others. It is by Ayden from a forum.

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments Sheila wrote: "I just finished reading The Great Game.

A thought which I will include in any review I am able to post: This story is written in words that manage to seduce the reader, carrying one to delightful ..."

Sheila, nicely expressed! You already know how much I love it, but I did think the very end of the book (after Darcy returns) was dragged out a bit. If not for that, I would give it another 5+ stars.

message 17: by Sheila (last edited Mar 11, 2016 06:35PM) (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments But their history...such strong individuals, with him surrounding himself with a wall allowing none in, always reserved and closed. Elizabeth, with her demand for freedom, independence and full disclosure...they are both in love but also wary as to how to now break down the wall that was thrown up. He has never shared all of himself with anyone. Georgiana, Richard and Ranjit play their part in guiding him to crumble that defense. So, for me, it was not rushed but savored in drawing near to each other and wanting to not take any steps in error. Even, Jane, in convincing E. to read the letters helped open Elizabeth's mind to the possibility of forgiveness and allowing repentance.

message 18: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Claudine wrote: "Thanks Erika!! Someone in JAFF Recs sent it to me last night. Would you like me to send it to you later?"

Yes please Claudine, thank you!! I will have to send it to Lory Lilian, she seemed disappointed that she did not save it.

message 19: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Sheila wrote: "Erika wrote: "Claudine, I just wanted to let you know I heard back from Lory Lilian and she does not have a copy of Windmills. I'm sorry. Lory did say that Ayden had removed it while she made chang..."

Thanks Sheila, Claudine said she'd send a copy to me.

message 20: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments I would so love to read anything else by Lory Lilian. Could I get a copy of Windmills from someone?

Thanks

message 21: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Barb, Windmills is by Ayden and highly recommended by Lory. Email me at justjane1813@gmail.com.

message 22: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments Claudine wrote: "Barb, Windmills is by Ayden and highly recommended by Lory. Email me at justjane1813@gmail.com."
Thank you!

message 23: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments Sheila wrote: "I just finished reading The Great Game.

A thought which I will include in any review I am able to post: This story is written in words that manage to seduce the reader, carrying one to delightful ..."

Who is this one by, Sheila?

message 24: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments Sheila wrote: "But their history...such strong individuals, with him surrounding himself with a wall allowing none in, always reserved and closed. Elizabeth, with her demand for freedom, independence and full dis..."
Never mind, Sheila. I found it. Obviously having lots of senior moments this morning!

message 25: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Barb, and anyone else for that matter, I have been reading and collecting FanFiction stories from various JAFF websites since 2008 and have amassed over 700 (some very short others novel length) stories. Recently I started a project of making lists of most (the longer ones) of my stories I have as PDFs. This project was inspired by Debbie, Claudine and Talia all looking for certain stories and my having them. I have 2 lists so far, A-C and D-H. Am working slowly on the rest.

So if anyone wants to see what JAFF stories I have saved as PDF just message me your email. And if you want any/all the stories you would just tell me which ones and I'll email them.

My lists show the title, author, a webpage where it can be found (to see a description, my rating (though some were read so long ago before I had started keeping ratings so they don't have a rating), and a comments section. For descriptions of any of the stories you can go to jaffindex.com though you need a username and password.

Don't worry about asking for a lot of stories, though it may take some time to send them.

message 26: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments It's the best list ever!! Erika, I can't thank you enough for putting it together!!

message 27: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments Erika wrote: "Barb, and anyone else for that matter, I have been reading and collecting FanFiction stories from various JAFF websites since 2008 and have amassed over 700 (some very short others novel length) st..."
Wow, Erika - thanks so much!!

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Erika wrote: "Barb, and anyone else for that matter, I have been reading and collecting FanFiction stories from various JAFF websites since 2008 and have amassed over 700 (some very short others novel length) st..."

wow! Thank you so much!

message 29: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicap) | 14 comments Wow, thanks Erika! That's fab. :)

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicap) | 14 comments For anyone near the metro Washington DC/Northeast Corridor area: I saw on AHA that they're having a JAFF panel/meetup at the Bethesda Library on April 2nd.

https://www.facebook.com/events/15485...#

Wish I lived closer! I think the JASNA general meeting is in DC this year, too, right?

message 31: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Hey everyone, you're all welcome to what I have accumulated. At the time I was moving around a lot for my job, some remote areas, and generally not enough time to really get to know people. One day at a bookstore I found lots of P&P variations, and then started googling for more and found all these JAFF websites. So in between my exploring of the areas I was living in I just soaked up as much JAFF as possible. When I would copy/paste to my Words program, the formatting was awful, so I literally formatted and corrected spelling and punctuation as I read. I played with different fonts, when there were letters written by the characters I used various cursive fonts. It was a game of sorts for me to stay busy at nights. I would be pleased to share them with everyone.

message 32: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments I find myself doing the same thing as the font on most sites is too small for my eyes. So I copy and paste and then make corrections. I have not changed the font for quotations but that sounds like a creative idea. Thank you for sharing. You're a peach!

message 33: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Erika, you're a total star! I don't have the time right now for reading JAFF from the fanfic forums, but now I know where to come if I need to track something down. Thank you.

message 34: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments I share Sheila's sentiments Erika!! Peachy keen lady!!

message 35: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Claudine and Sheila, you're too much!!!

Anji, you can contact me anytime to get my lists!! The stories are not going anywhere and I am happy to send them whenever requested.

message 36: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Just sent you an PM Erika. I'm so intrigued about the lists you have! :)

message 37: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments PM me your email.i can send the lists now if you want them.

message 38: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Just an FYI to all those who enjoy Alex9903's JAFF stories I got this response back from her when I said she should publish: Actually I do have some publishing plans :) Meryton Press recently accepted The Best Part of Love for publication and it should be coming out in November. I am really excited about it!

I know I look forward to it!!!

message 39: by Sheila (last edited May 12, 2016 08:41PM) (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Alex9903 just recommended this story to me

Mendacity & Mourning: The Grieving Groom and the Gleeful Gossip http://meryton.com/aha/index.php?show...
by Jancat (JL Ashton who also wrote A Searing Acquaintance) Meryton Press is going to publish it but it won't be out for awhile.

message 40: by Debbie (last edited May 12, 2016 09:34PM) (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments Looks interesting. I just skimmed the first few paragraphs and will definitely return to read the whole thing another time. Thanks for the tip.

message 41: by Bookish Barton (last edited May 25, 2016 06:07PM) (new)

Bookish Barton (bookishbarton) | 134 comments New GR listopia "Best Unpublished Jane Austen FanFiction": https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 42: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicap) | 14 comments Ooh that's exciting about Alex9903 publishing!

message 43: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Yes. She has an author page on MP's site. It's amazing to see this process!!

message 44: by Carol (new)

Carol Perrin | 16 comments Claudine, would it be possible to get a link to 'Windmill of the Mind'' by Ayden?

message 45: by Bookish Barton (new)

Bookish Barton (bookishbarton) | 134 comments GR link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

but as it is no longer available, she will have to send you doc

message 46: by Bookish Barton (new)

Bookish Barton (bookishbarton) | 134 comments Erika or Sheila --- can either of you ask Alex9903 to write a blurb describing So Material A Change so I can add to GR entry?

message 47: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments I am a bit confused. Who needs what from me?? Lol!!

message 48: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Nicole, I sent her a message. I'll get it to you as soon as she sends it to me.

message 49: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Carol, send me a private message and I will forward you a copy.

message 50: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Thanks Erika!

« previous 1