Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Austenesque Film Club

Comments Showing 1-50 of 327 (327 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
Let's talk movie, television, and play adaptions of the books. Compare, contrast, and share!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauracan2) | 29 comments I'm hoping to finish Unleashing Mr. Darcy by Teri Wilson before the Hallmark movie premieres. I'm looking forward to it; the previews look promising.

message 3: by Sophia (new)

I can't wait to watch that one, too. I read the book a while back, but I still remember it. Cute book, but wow does Lizzy get fired up. ;)

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments I loved Unleashing Mr Darcy!!!! It was so cute!! But Sophia, I think Lizzy gets really fired up in most P&P books. LOL

message 5: by Kirk (last edited Jan 06, 2016 05:17AM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Walt Stillman's Love and Friendship, which is actually an adaptation of Lady Susan, premiers at Sundance
in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they'll annouce
opening dates for it soon afterwards. Some of the international
JA sites have mentioned April.

While not Austen, A Little Chaos stars
Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman(he also directs).
Also in the film is Jennifer Ehle. The scene between the three of
them is Period Drama perfection in my book. Recently rewatched it on DVD from the PL. In that scene, Winslet
makes an facial expression that seems to channel one used by the late great Elizabeth Spriggs(Mrs Jennings) in S&S 95.

message 6: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments I have to watch that one Kirk. It's been on my must-watch list for a while! I love Winslet and Ehle...

Looking forward to P&P&Zombies and Unleashing Mr. Darcy. But hey, Bridget Jones #3 may be worth a try too... Oh, how Jane would laugh at all these spin offs !!

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Added A Little Chaos to my Netflix queue; thanks, Kirk!

message 8: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Kirk wrote: "Walt Stillman's Love and Friendship, which is actually an adaptation of Lady Susan, premiers at Sundance
opening dates for it soon afterwards. Some o..."

OOO, I might have to check out showtimes for Love and Friendship. I tend to avoid Sundance, but I might brave it for Jane Austen.

message 9: by Sophia (new)

I've been waiting for the dates on Love & Friendship, too, Kirk, ever since Laurel Ann started posting snippets.

And I hadn't heard of A Little Chaos, thanks!

@Erika- tis true, haha!

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Kirk wrote: "Walt Stillman's Love and Friendship, which is actually an adaptation of Lady Susan, premiers at Sundance
opening dates for it soon afterwards. Some o..."

I love A Little Chaos! Highly recommend it

Ive not read PP and zombies, not into those kind of things in general but The movie looks good though.

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Just curious how do people like Pride Prejudice and Zombies...

book,...
and movie......

message 12: by Sophia (new)

Hey, Trish!

If you go to the Mr. Bennet Level and read through the thread, an impromptu discussion has started on that very thing. :)

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Sophia wrote: "Hey, Trish!

If you go to the Mr. Bennet Level and read through the thread, an impromptu discussion has started on that very thing. :)"

Thanks! :D

message 14: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments I'm planning on a rewatch of Sense and Sensibility very soon in memory of Alan Rickman. So sad to hear news of his passing yesterday.

message 15: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Me too, Beau North is doing a group watch on FB if people want to join her.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Id like to join in

message 17: by Sophia (new)

@Anji That's a great idea, Anji. My husband wanted to watch Harry Potters, but I think we can slip in S&S.

@Claudine Do you have the date and time for Beau's group watch?

message 18: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments @Sophia

January 24 at 6:00 pm... What's your name on FB? I am C. A. Pepe

message 19: by Sophia (new)

My FB name is: Sophia Rose. Hey, I think I remember that you are CA Pepe from the book release party. :)

Thanks for the details, Claudine.

message 20: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Yes! Friend me and I'll invite you to the event! Anyone else can friend me too and just ask me to invite you to the S&S group watch event.

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Okay. We might already be friends, but I'll check. Thanks!

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimreadsalot) | 9 comments I just saw an advanced screening of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies last night. I started reading the book years ago and while it was amusing, I decided I'd rather be reading the original so never finished it. That being said, the movie was laugh out loud funny and it has many moments that Jane fans will appreciate. There is a lot of killing but not too much gore (for a zombie movie), I dislike horror films but this one was watchable as far as that goes.

message 23: by Sophia (new)

How neat, Kim!

I was very leery of the zombie part, but funny, I can do. :)

message 24: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya I am still leery of P&P and Zombies. While i like zombies, I am a fan of The Walking Dead, I am not sure it goes with P&P.

Related to Austen Films, I just want to give a small lament for Alan Rickman. Since he played Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility I always pictured him as that character no matter what I am reading. He was a big part of endearing me to that character. Colonel Brandon is one of my favorite Austen men. Alan Rickman will be missed.

message 25: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Ahnya wrote, “I am not sure it goes with P&P.”

For me, that’s exactly where the fun lies—in the strange bedfellows! Have you ever seen the YouTube “Jane Austen Fight Club”?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2PM0...

“We were no longer good society.”

message 26: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya I have seen it. It makes me laugh.

message 27: by Sophia (new)

Did anyone else watch Unleashing Mr. Darcy tonight? It was cute and fun to see the modern retelling. It was condensed a lot, but it did reflect the spirit of the book well. I thought the actors did a good job with Terri's characters.

message 28: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Sophia wrote: "Did anyone else watch Unleashing Mr. Darcy tonight? It was cute and fun to see the modern retelling. It was condensed a lot, but it did reflect the spirit of the book well. I thought the actors did..."

Hmmm....I recorded it. Might try it next week.
Too much on tomorrow...local football team has a
little game, S&S group watch, live tweeting Downton, and
Mercy Street. Yikes!!!

message 29: by Sophia (new)

LOL! Yes, you do have quite the watch list there. The blessing of recording to help with that sort of log jam. :)

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Sophia wrote: "Did anyone else watch Unleashing Mr. Darcy tonight? It was cute and fun to see the modern retelling. It was condensed a lot, but it did reflect the spirit of the book well. I thought the actors did..."
I loved it!

message 31: by Sophia (new)

Very cute puppies and dogs, right? :)

Did you read the book first or dive right into the show?

message 32: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments i won an ebook copy of it last weekend and been reading it all week. I finished it couple hours before movie started. I highly recommend it and I hope Teri writes more based on classics!

message 33: by Sophia (new)

Wow, serendipity with that win right before the show. It would be fun to get some more modern retellings.

message 34: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Sophia wrote: "Wow, serendipity with that win right before the show. It would be fun to get some more modern retellings."

yeah, i am looking around for more persuasion and also, anything related to anne bronte at the moment. I recently saw the tenant of wildfell hall BBC production and love it! Now i am reading the book version and trying to find retellings, sequels, etc relating to it.

message 35: by Sophia (new)

I'll keep my eye out for Anne Bronte retellings. Seems like I heard of one recently...

There are a number of Persuasion ones. You probably know about Sway by Melanie Stanford.
Here's a GR vote list of some variations, retellings, etc of Persuasion that might help: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 36: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is a wonderful book (and I liked the BBC version, too). I’ve always thought Anne Brontë was the most Austenesque of all the Brontës—though perhaps that’s not saying much!

message 37: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Does anyone know if Unleashing Mr. Darcy will get a showing on mainstream TV here in the UK?

message 38: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Abigail wrote: "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is a wonderful book (and I liked the BBC version, too). I’ve always thought Anne Brontë was the most Austenesque of all the Brontës—though perhaps that’s not saying much!"
ive o nly seen the movie . so far im finding her easier to read vs Charlotte bronte. I could never get into wuthering heights which is disappointing .

Im looking around for biographies on anne. i know so little about her. all biographies ive seen at the library is charlotte bronte.

message 39: by Sophia (new)

@ Anji- Do you get the Hallmark Channel or have access to the Hallmark Channel movies for your TV? That's who produced it so maybe you can check through that source.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauracan2) | 29 comments I guess it's just me. I didn't really like Unleashing Mr. Darcy. I was disappointed with the book, and I thought the movie would remedy some of the problems I had with the book. After watching the movie, I realized I had more issues with the book than I thought because the movie was terrible. I guess I came to the conclusion that the book is usually better. So, if the book is bad, there isn't much material to work with and the movie will suffer too. I'm starting to think I love the original works too much and any re-telling will be a disappointment. I haven't read too many re-tellings. Sorry to rant.

message 41: by Sophia (new)

LOL, no Laura! I thought it was cute, but I could have easily bopped Lizzy in the back of the head for being rude and stuck up and prejudiced even though that is what she kept accusing Donovan of being. My husband even made the comment that he didn't see much to like and promptly went to sleep. So you're not alone. :)

message 42: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Sophia wrote: "Did anyone else watch Unleashing Mr. Darcy tonight? It was cute and fun to see the modern retelling. It was condensed a lot, but it did reflect the spirit of the book well. I thought the actors did..."

I liked it! I thought it was cute. I have not read the book. I am debating whether i should...I kind of want to now to compare. I honestly thought Lizzy was a bit of a nastycakes to Donovan, and it was a bit crazy that he put up with her and liked her...but it wasn't so much so that it stopped me from enjoying the movie or wanting them to have the happy ending. I think that Donovan Darcy was excellently cast!

message 43: by Sophia (new)

It was a cutie and oh yes, I enjoyed the character of Donovan Darcy, too. In a way, the more she jumped to conclusions and got all persnickety; the more I eager I got. I anticipated the moment when she realized the truth and would have to deal with her misconceptions.

message 44: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Paige wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Did anyone else watch Unleashing Mr. Darcy tonight? It was cute and fun to see the modern retelling. It was condensed a lot, but it did reflect the spirit of the book well. I thought..."
read the book version, theres some changes to the movie from book, i like both equally

message 45: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments I saw the movie and watched some cast interviews from the Hallmark channel. Did anyone notice Donovan's eyes shifting up to the left a few times when he was talking face-to-face with Elizabeth? Disconcerting. The movie was OK, but not one I would highly recommend.

message 46: by Sophia (new)

I missed the eye-shifting, but I did feel like he was playing the part of someone nervous so maybe I chalked it up to that.

Nice summation, Sheila. It was cute, but as you say not a high recommend.

message 47: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Lynne | 21 comments Hi guys! I saw an advanced screening of PPZ last night. I posted a review on our website if you're interested. :)

http://www.vanityandpridepress.com/#!...

message 48: by Sophia (new)

That was an engaging review, Pamela. Thanks!

message 49: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments I am not on FB so the site would not take my comment so here it is:

Comics? What Comics? I read the three books with this title so I am wondering if I read the wrong thing. I plan to see the movie just because it will so on the lips of a very large community and I must have my share of the conversation. I found the third book the best of the three. I did post my reviews.

message 50: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Pamela wrote: "Hi guys! I saw an advanced screening of PPZ last night. I posted a review on our website if you're interested. :)

http://www.vanityandpridepress.com/#!..."

i am not one for gore , most ive gotten was code black and greys anatomy. whats your opinion when it comes to that with this movie? ive been going back and forth seeing it or not. im intrigued by it but the gore part is whats holding me back . I love Lily James in DA and Matt Smith in Doctor Who.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

North and South (other topics)