Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Challenge Levels > Emma Woodhouse Level 51-75 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
“It's such a happiness when good people get together.” Emma

Please post your updates in a separate comment. Books and book cover links can be added by clicking on the 'add book/author' link above the comment box.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauracan2) | 29 comments Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I decided to start with Pride and Prejudice before I jumped into anything else. I figured it was best to have the cannon in the forefront of my mind. My plan is to read Austen's work before I read anything based on that book. So, I will be rereading Emma and Persuasion soon too.

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Good plan, Laura! I'm doing a P&P , too.

message 4: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) That’s a great idea, Laura! You’ll pick up so many of the echoes that way, and see how the Austenesque author is playing off the ideas of the original, how he/she understands the characters.

message 5: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya That is a great idea Laura. It has been several years since I have read P&P, Emma, and Persuasion. I can get caught up in the JAFF and film adaptations, and loose the original words. It would be nice to have it fresh in the mind. I agree with Abigail, it would help you analyze the story you are reading.

message 6: by Danine (new)

Danine | 7 comments My real-life book club re-reads JA novels each year. It amazes me how I see new things each time I read. First time you are carried along by the plot. Later reads, other characters pop out, or you see the narrator's voice telling you so much. You are in for a lifetime of enjoyment!

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauracan2) | 29 comments Unleashing Mr. Darcy by Teri Wilson Austentatious Crochet 36 Contemporary Designs from the World of Jane Austen by Melissa Horozewski
2 books read in this challenge. I noticed that I enjoy taking my time with Austen. I'm still reading P&P, but I am savoring the story, the characters, and the scenery. I don't want to rush through it. I want to take my time visiting with friends.

message 8: by Sophia (new)

I don't blame you for taking your time with P&P. Looks like you added some cute ones for the challenge. I used to crochet a lot and its been a while. I'll have to check that one out.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauracan2) | 29 comments I tried to put a link to my review, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. It might just be the app. There are a lot of things you can't do on the app like reply and add a book cover. Either way, I didn't really like too many of the patterns, but the book is filled with excerpts and quotes from Miss Austen. I loved that part of the book. It's worth checking out.

message 10: by Sophia (new)

I have trouble with those apps, too. I'll go straight to the page and look for your review. :) Neat that they put quotes and excerpts into the book along with the patterns.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauracan2) | 29 comments One more read.

The Dashwood Sisters Tell All A Modern-Day Novel of Jane Austen by Beth Pattillo

I really liked this book.

message 12: by Sophia (new)

I read her other two Austeneque. I still need to read this one. Glad you liked it, Laura!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauracan2) | 29 comments Here's one more completed. A Weekend with Mr. Darcy (Austen Addicts #1) by Victoria Connelly
I think I'm the only person in this level, but I'll keep posting just in case I get some company down the road. I'm off to a slow start this year. I haven't had as much time to read as I'd like, and I'm reading other books too. Hopefully, I'll get to step it up in March.

message 14: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Hi, Laura, I see that Erika is at 12, Anji and Nicole at 13, and Trish at 14 (and that’s just among the people who are keeping tracker threads), so they’re all well on track to join you! Don’t get lonely!

message 15: by Sophia (new)

You're off to a decent start, Laura. You'll probably hit your stride and go on a binge at some point. :)

I'd like to see myself up here keeping you company, but if I did, it probably wouldn't be until the end. Like Abigail, I think you'll get more company soon enough. :)

message 16: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Laura wrote: "Here's one more completed. A Weekend with Mr. Darcy (Austen Addicts #1) by Victoria Connelly
I think I'm the only person in this level, but I'll keep posting just in case I get some company down the road. I'm off to a ..g."

Hi Laura, I'm really hoping to get to this level and possibly even higher but have aimed for the one below as a realistic target right now. Keep on posting, though. We're all here at one level or another, so don't feel lonely!

Have you thought about starting a thread in the YTD section to keep track of what you've tead?

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauracan2) | 29 comments I have one started, but like a lot of people, I'm posting in both my tracker & my level.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauracan2) | 29 comments I have 3 more completed.
Dear Mr. Darcy A Retelling of Pride and Prejudice by Amanda Grange I loved this one. I thought she really captured the voices of Austen's characters.

Dreaming of Mr. Darcy (Austen Addicts #2) by Victoria Connelly
I loved the use of Persuasion with a hint of Emma in this story.

Lizzy and Jane by Katherine Reay
I laughed; I cried and cried some more.

message 19: by Sophia (new)

Capturing the voice of the characters is high praise, Laura. I look forward to that one.

Yay! Congrats for knocking out three more.

message 20: by Don (new)

Don Jacobson | 30 comments Pushing 12 right now...but it has been just a month.

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Holy Cow! Twelve is fabulous, Don.

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments I just finished my 51st book, Hope for Mr. Darcy and have come over from the Catherine Moreland Level.

message 23: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Welcome to Deborah who has exploded into the Emma Woodhouse Level with her 51st book. Woohoo!!

message 24: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Congratulations, Deborah! That's quite a load of reading done. Don’t you wish all your duties were as pleasurable?

message 25: by Ceri (new)

Ceri | 224 comments Congratulations Debbie!

message 26: by Debbie (last edited Aug 01, 2016 07:01AM) (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments Excellent, Debbie! Hope you like your new library!

message 27: by Sophia (new)

Deborah wrote: "I just finished my 51st book, Hope for Mr. Darcy and have come over from the Catherine Moreland Level."

Woohoo, Deborah! Fantastic achievement pushing into this new level and still plenty of time for more. :)))

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary | 452 comments Congrats Deborah!!

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments J. W. wrote: "Welcome to Deborah who has exploded into the Emma Woodhouse Level with her 51st book. Woohoo!!"

Thank you for the warm welcome.

message 30: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Abigail wrote: "Congratulations, Deborah! That's quite a load of reading done. Don’t you wish all your duties were as pleasurable?"

Thank you for the welcome, Abigail. I do so wish all my duties were so pleasurable. I love to read.

message 31: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Ceri wrote: "Congratulations Debbie!"

Thank you, Ceri.

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Debbie wrote: "Excellent, Debbie! Hope you like your new library!"

Thank you, Debbie. Which such excellent company, I am sure I will.

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Sophia wrote: "Deborah wrote: "I just finished my 51st book, Hope for Mr. Darcy and have come over from the Catherine Moreland Level."

Woohoo, Deborah! Fantastic achievement pushing into this new level and still..."

Thank you, Sophia. I am sure I will make the Henry Crawford Level, but would ideally love to make it to the Mr. Bennet Level. Not sue about that, though.

message 34: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Mary wrote: "Congrats Deborah!!"

Thank you, Mary.

message 35: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments I have been commenting over in Mr Bennet's library since the beginning of the year, since my goal has been to hit that level. But, I just today finished book 51, so thought it most appropriate to stop by and say hi here. My 51st book just happens to have been The Importance of Being Emma, which is quite appropriate, as well. Onward and upward! I really hope I can make Mr. Bennet by the end of the year. But, I have so much on my plate!

message 36: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Congrats on getting this far Barb! I hope to be joining you very soon.

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments Barb wrote: "I have been commenting over in Mr Bennet's library since the beginning of the year, since my goal has been to hit that level. But, I just today finished book 51, so thought it most appropriate to s..."

Congrats on #51, Barb!

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary | 452 comments Barb,well done on reaching 51!! Believe it or not,I posted the same number,and like you,I did so on Mr B's page! Here's to the next 49!! Onwards and upwards indeed!!!

message 39: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments @ 35) Barb, congratulations on # 51...we are cheering you on big style...rockets and sparklers.

message 40: by Sophia (new)

You are doing spectacular, Barb. Haha, love the match of your book with the challenge level.

message 41: by Barb (last edited Sep 06, 2016 10:51AM) (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments Not quite a month later and I am wrapping up my time in the Emma group. I finished number 75 today with The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet by Caitlin Williams The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet. And, a very good finish it was - 5 stars. On to Henry!

message 42: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I’m in awe of the reading achievements of some members of this group—75 books?? You rock!

message 43: by Sophia (new)

Super news, Barb! *tosses the virtual confetti*

You're on a reading terror right now. Keep going and tackle the Henry Crawford level, too. Love reading your reviews for the books, too. I love seeing the 5 star for Coming of Age of EB.

message 44: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Barb, moving on up to the next group...excellent!!! We cheer you on!!!

message 45: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) You’ve probably now read more books than Emma Woodhouse did in her entire lifetime—considering her tendency to start things she didn’t finish.

message 46: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments Thank you, all of you, for your encouragement and humor! I am so enjoying the challenge.

message 47: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Yeah Barb...glad you are having fun.

message 49: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Way to go Deborah...moving right on up there. Great group of books there.

message 50: by Sophia (new)

Nicely done, Deborah!

I loved Side by Side, Apart and Chaos Comes to Longbourn made me laugh so many times.

« previous 1 3 4