Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Challenge Levels > Catherine Morland Level 21-50 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 458 (458 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
“It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language” Northanger Abbey

Please post your updates in a separate comment. Books and book cover links can be added by clicking on the 'add book/author' link above the comment box.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Just finished listening to the audiobook version of Jeanna Ellsworth's Pride and Persistence. I loved how the narrator brought out nusnces of the character's personalities. Will write a review and post it shortly.

message 3: by Anji (last edited Jan 07, 2016 07:05AM) (new)

Anji | 283 comments Just finished reading The Last Waltz: . . . another pride and prejudice journey of love by Pat Santarsiero. Really enjoyed it and will post a review shortly.

Goodreads review now live and posted here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Like Debbie above, I'm listening to Pride and Persistence but am only about halfway through at the moment. I loved the book when I read it last year and the audio has been entertaining me on our long drive back from our trip away over New Year.

message 4: by Sophia (new)

How fun that you guys picked the same book on audio. I look forward to trying Jeanna's books soon. You're off to a good start.

message 5: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments I've posted my review of The Last Waltz here and also on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. I'm also going to use this TBR challenge as a way to remind myself to post more reviews. It's something I'm particularly bad at as I'm always wanting to get straight on to the next book. Sophia, please feel free to smack my hand if I don't mention that I've posted a review for a book that I've said I've finished!

message 6: by Rita (new)

Rita Deodato | 18 comments I’m so glad to see you’re on the same challenge level as I am!
But you have a better start than I do, I’m just finishing re-reading In Consequence by Trudy Brasure. It is a North and South variation, so I guess it will not be considered :(
I've never read Pride and Persistence, should I add it to my TBR pile? Did you guys liked it?

message 7: by Sophia (new)

Anji wrote: "I've posted my review of The Last Waltz here and also on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. I'm also going to use this TBR challenge as a way to remind myself to post more reviews. It's something I'm par..."

LOL! The reviewing is sometimes the hard part, but truly, a few quick notes are plenty. I tend to get long-winded, but that's style and personality. Haha! (and I will do no slapping- I reserve that for fictional characters who drive me nuts).

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) My first read of the year completed: The Toll-Gate by Georgette Heyer. Not in my first rank of Heyer faves, but a good solid four-star for me. Reviewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Sophia, not to add to your burdens, but are we going to have a place, as we did last year, where we can open a thread to keep track of our reads? Or are we just using our own shelves for that? Fine by me either way!

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Oh, sure, Abigail. I can add a thread for ongoing YTD totals. I'll put it under assorted and sundry matters. Good idea since not everyone wants to add a shelf. :)

Oh and congrats on The Toll Gate finish. I'm listening to Sprig Muslin right now.

message 10: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Thanks! And I hope you enjoy Sprig Muslin!

message 11: by Anji (last edited Jan 07, 2016 07:12AM) (new)

Anji | 283 comments Second one in my TBR pile bites the dust! This time it's Bluebells in the Mourning by KaraLynne Mackrory. Been meaning to read it for ages. What a lovely experience it was, too. Review posting very soon.

Goodreads review now live here:

message 12: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Rita wrote: "I’m so glad to see you’re on the same challenge level as I am!
But you have a better start than I do, I’m just finishing re-reading In Consequence by Trudy Brasure. It is a North and South variati..."

Yes, Rita, you should definitely read, or listen to, Pride and Persistence. It's a great book!

message 13: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Today, I've finished listening to the audiobook version Pride and Persistence by Jeanna Ellsworth. So that's three down now.

Goodreads review posted here:

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Clipping right along, Anji!

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Have finished Eligible: A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice by Curtis Sittenfeld; review to come. Good!

message 16: by Sophia (new)

I hadn't heard of that one. I'll have to check it out.

message 17: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Not yet released! Coming out in late April, the fourth in Random House’s series of modern retellings by semifamous authors (most recently, Alexander McCall Smith butchered Emma). But the publisher has been circulating a lot of advance copies of Eligible to get buzz going; I won one in a giveaway. Most of the series has been so disappointing that I’m happy to be able to praise one.

message 18: by Sophia (new)

Oh, got it! I haven't touched this series of moderns yet. For some reason, I was worried what these folks would do with the stories. :)

I'll get to them eventually because I can't resist my curiosity for long.

message 19: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Up till now, I would have said you weren’t missing much! The Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid is okay, but I really didn’t like the Emma or the Sense and Sensibility.

Eligible: A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice by Curtis Sittenfeld, reviewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 20: by Sophia (new)

Glad you posted your review thoughts. I'll check it out.

I would imagine with a different author for each one that personal style and background would play a role in the adaption so then a reader's own personality would have a part, too.

I've actually never read any of the author's chosen for the project so each would be fresh encounters. I might start with the Northanger Abbey one first since that was my focus for much of last year just to see how it jives with my impressions of the original story.

message 21: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments I've got a copy of Val McDermid's Northanger Abbey that I picked up for £1 at a charity shop last year. Haven't got around to reading it yet. Sounds like it's the best of a fairly average lot. Might read the original again first though as it's been a while since I last read it.

message 22: by Sophia (new)

Lucky snag, Anji! Look forward to seeing what you think about it and a comparison if you get the chance to do that.

message 23: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Will do my best, Sophia.

message 24: by Anji (last edited Jan 18, 2016 07:55AM) (new)

Anji | 283 comments Just finished The Gentleman's Impertinent Daughter: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Rose Fairbanks. Total = 4.

Goodreads review posted here:

I've just composed a database of all the JAFF I own. The totals are quite scary, considering I've only been part of this wonderful community for not quite two years!

115 different authors so far. Who knew it was so many?
Three formats:
Paperback = 30
Kindle = 201
Audio = 72

There is some duplication as I have some as audios and either paperbacks or Kindle versions. Now I have to total up exactly how many are actually in my TBR pile!

EDIT: I've just done the maths on the proportion of my TBR list to the total. Out of the total of 303, I have 151 unread/listened. That's 50%! I knew it was a lot, but not that high. Admittedly, some are free downloads that I've mainly got via Ceri's warning on Facebook but I really have to get a grip!

message 25: by Sophia (new)

It is definitely scary how fast one can accumulate JAFF books when one is bitten by the bug. My shelves didn't fill very fast until I got that Kindle. I blame the ease of one-clicking. LOL!

Glad Gentleman's Impertinent Daughter was good. That is one of the ones on my pile needing my attention, too. :)

message 26: by Anji (last edited Jan 23, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Anji | 283 comments Running total has now reached five, as I've just finished my second audiobook of the year, Anne's Adversity: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Jennifer Joy. It's the first one I've read/listened to with Anne de Bourgh as a main character. It's the second in Jennifer's Cousins series, following on from Darcy's Ultimatum. Review Posted here:

But my TBR list just increased by three! I was lucky enough to win three Meryton Press books, of my own choice, last year and they arrived this morning. So now I have to add His Uncle's Favorite and Rainy Days by Lory Lilian plus Haunting Mr. Darcy - A Spirited Courtship by KaraLynne Mackrory to the ever increasing mountain.

message 27: by Sophia (new)

Haha! One step forward and two steps back, but this is not a bad thing with good books. I still need to start Jennifer's series. I have the first book. I enjoyed the Lory Lilian books, but I've still got KaraLynne's book on my wish list.

Hope they are all good ones. Great prize!

message 28: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Finished number 3, Margaret Dashwood and the Enchanted Atlas by Beth Deitchman. Good fun! Romance lovers will enjoy—not to mention the little witchlets among us. Four stars. My review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 29: by Sophia (new)

What a coincidence! A few of us were just having a discussion on Debbie's S&S review page about Margaret's contribution to the story. That title does make it sound fun.

message 30: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Both this and Mary Bennet and the Bloomsbury Coven are lighthearted fun! Quite well written, too.

message 31: by Sophia (new)

I have that one on the pile. Looks like I need to get busy and read it. :)

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments I just finished Marilyn Brant's newest book, You Give Love a Bad Name. Here's the link to my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 33: by Anji (last edited Jan 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Anji | 283 comments Another one completed: The Darcy Brothers The Darcy Brothers by Abigail Reynolds .

Review now posted:

message 34: by Sophia (new)

Wow, you're going to make Mr. Bennet's library this year, Anji. :)

message 35: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Sophia wrote: "Wow, you're going to make Mr. Bennet's library this year, Anji. :)"

I'm hoping to, Sophia!

message 36: by Rita (new)

Rita Deodato | 18 comments You are way ahead of me, I'm not very confident about my challenge this year :( I have only read 1 book so far :( At least it was a good one :) Accusing Elizabeth from Jannifer Joy :)

message 37: by Sophia (new)

Long ways to go, Rita. You'll get on a roll soon. :)

message 38: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments No worries Rita!! You can do it!!

message 39: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Rita wrote: "You are way ahead of me, I'm not very confident about my challenge this year :( I have only read 1 book so far :( At least it was a good one :) Accusing Elizabeth from Jannifer Joy :)"

Don't worry, I haven't read any JAFF yet this year. I should probably get rolling.

message 40: by Teresita (new)

Teresita | 9 comments I haven't been able to read much this past week, I had bronchitis. I'm better now. Getting on with the work and the reading.

message 41: by Sophia (new)

Hope you feel better soon, Teresita. I know being sick probably put you behind on lots of things. Take care!

message 42: by Teresita (new)

Teresita | 9 comments Sophia wrote: "Hope you feel better soon, Teresita. I know being sick probably put you behind on lots of things. Take care!"

I'm taking care, I don't want to feel like that again in my life!

Thanks for the good wishes!

message 43: by Rita (new)

Rita Deodato | 18 comments Thank you for all your support! It's been really hard to find the time to read :( but I'll go on holidays soon and I'm hoping to get back on track :)
I hope you are feeling better Teresita! And you too Sophia :)

message 44: by Sophia (new)

Thanks, Rita!

I go in bursts of reading toward the goal, too. Good luck!

message 45: by Anji (last edited Jan 31, 2016 01:52AM) (new)

Anji | 283 comments Just finished my re-read of the original Northanger Abbey in preparation for my February read of Val McDermid's version as chosen for me by Abigail.

It's been a few years since I last read it and it wasn't one of my favourites, but I totally loved it this time around.

message 46: by Sophia (new)

Neato!

That was my same response to Northanger Abbey after several years between re-reads. Hope the modern one is a good one for you, Anji!

message 47: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Thanks Sophia. I've posted my review here:

message 48: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I’m rereading NA right now (in an annotated edition, which really breaks my concentration), and am amazed at how much literary art is packed into every sentence.

message 49: by Mary (new)

Mary | 452 comments Anji-those books you received from Meryton Press are some of the best I've read!
I hope you enjoy them.

message 50: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments It must be an epidemic! I, too, re-read Northanger Abbey! :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10