Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Challenge Levels > Anne Elliot Level 11-20 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 833 (833 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
Anne Elliot says, “I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.”

Please post your challenge updates in a separate comment. Books and their covers can be added by clicking on the 'add book/author' link right above the comment box.

message 2: by Patricia (last edited Jan 08, 2016 03:52PM) (new)

Patricia | 188 comments I am currently in 5 books. (had not finished 2 books by the new year so now adding it to this years)

Echoes of Pemberley by Cynthia Ingram Hensley

A Jane Austen Christmas Celebrating the Season of Romance, Ribbons and Mistletoe by Carlo DeVito

Jane Austen Lives Again by Jane Odiwe

Jane by the Sea Jane Austen's Love Story by Carolyn V. Murray

Elinor and Edward's Plans for Lucy Steele by Mary Lydon Simonsen

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments I am starting small I would like to get to 50+ books this year

message 4: by Sophia (new)

That's a great goal, Trish and a fantastic start. That's a good list to start with. I want to read Jane Austen Lives Again, too.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Sophia wrote: "That's a great goal, Trish and a fantastic start. That's a good list to start with. I want to read Jane Austen Lives Again, too."
well imm starting small by going to Anne Elliot level but thats m y goal to eventually get to. I barely got to 40 books this year total so well see :)

message 6: by Sophia (new)

I hope to advance a level, too. I tried to start with a realistic goal and then try to surpass it.

message 7: by Patricia (last edited Feb 24, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Patricia | 188 comments Finished
Meet Your Match (No Match for Love, #0.5) by Lindzee Armstrong
Jane by the Sea Jane Austen's Love Story by Carolyn V. Murray
Tea with Emma (The Teacup Novellas, #1) by Diane Moody
Elinor and Edward's Plans for Lucy Steele by Mary Lydon Simonsen
Less Proud and More Persuasive A Pride and Prejudice Variation Novella by Sophie Turner
Bluebells in the Mourning by KaraLynne Mackrory
Kitty Bennet in Love by Jane Odiwe
Almost Persuaded Miss Mary King by P.O. Dixon
The Mysterious Death of Miss Jane Austen by Lindsay Ashford
A Tale of Two Matchmakers by Marilyn Brant
Not Romantic by Maria Grace
The Subsequent Proposal A Tale of Pride, Prejudice & Persuasion by Joana Starnes *so good!*

message 8: by Sophia (new)

That's a good start, Trish!

message 9: by Danine (new)

Danine | 7 comments I'm starting at Anne Elliott in hopes of reducing the book piles of good intentions. In that I am more like Emma, taking up projects and not finishing them. And I shall force myself to do little reviews, now that there might be someone to read them. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 10: by Sophia (new)

LOL, Danine! I think we all must have a bit of Emma in us when it comes to our TBR piles.

I checked out your list and you've got some good ones on there. I've got the Roy Atkins in my pile, too. Gentleman's Daughter looks very helpful.

message 11: by Danine (new)

Danine | 7 comments The friend who recommended Gentleman's Daughter said the first chapter is hard going -- and he's someone who just plowed through all of Sir Charles Grandison. But I'm determined to get to it, as the relative social standing of people is so key to understanding the dynamics of JA novels.

message 12: by Sophia (new)

Good to know. I'm researching late Georgian period right now so it caught my eye. That's okay if its not light reading.

And that's impressive if he swiftly devoured Austen's favorite Sir Charles Grandison.

message 13: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments At last I finished book #1 for this challenge.

Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas (Jane Austen Mysteries #12) by Stephanie Barron

I found it very good and I explored once again Steventon neighborhood as I did when I translated Jane Austen: Her Homes and Her Friends.
And Barron insinuates Mary Austen (Mrs. James Austen) could have been a good source of inspiration for Mary Elliot Musgrove, a character I love very much!

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Glad you liked it, Georgiana. I liked it, too. I was fascinated by the holiday traditions and references to family.

message 15: by Danine (new)

Danine | 7 comments Sophia wrote: "Good to know. I'm researching late Georgian period right now so it caught my eye. That's okay if its not light reading.

And that's impressive if he swiftly devoured Austen's favorite Sir Charles G..."

He admitted Sir Charles was a bit of a slog and took him over a year. Of course he has other research going on, researching and presenting ragtime era slide shows as done 100 years ago.

message 16: by Sophia (new)

@Danine- Oh, yes, that makes more sense that it took a year. I've only seen bits of it and references to it, but the idea of reading it didn't appeal. :)

message 17: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 277 comments Teresa again who's trying to get to grips with Good Reads. I'm already doing the Good Reads Challenge for 2016. Are the books I read for that suitable to add to the challenge here or must they be Austenesque books? I'm reading a varied diet of books. Thanks for all your help with these, I'm sure, 'daft' questions.

message 18: by Sophia (new)

Not daft, Teresa!

You may use any books that you read for other challenges, but they do have to have a Jane Austen flavor to them. Like a book with the same or similar plot as one of Jane Austen's or a non-fiction that you picked to learn more about Jane Austen's life or era that aren't necessarily specific to Jane. If you're not sure, go with your guy- if it felt Jane-ish, count it. This is meant to be a fun challenge to help keep the TBR pile under control and not hinder the readers. :)

message 19: by Patricia (last edited Jan 25, 2016 07:35AM) (new)

Patricia | 188 comments in middle of

Mercy's Embrace So Rough a Course by Laura Hile

A Jane Austen Christmas Celebrating the Season of Romance, Ribbons and Mistletoe by Carlo DeVito

this one is taking me a long time to read. theres many errors and a lot of quotes throughout the book.

message 20: by Sophia (new)

Yes, sigh, there are errors in the Christmas book. It startled me to find them and then based on others' reviews there were many that I didn't catch. Hope you're enjoying Jane by the Sea. :)

message 21: by Georgiana (last edited Jan 21, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Book #2 this year:

The Intrigue at Highbury Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5) by Carrie Bebris

I had already read it, so it was a re-read, and maybe I found it better than the first time. It's so enjoyable to see the Darcys cooperate with the Knightleys.
Perhaps this is the best book of the series... I have to read The Suspicion at Sanditon (Or, The Disappearance of Lady Denham) yet, though!

message 22: by Sophia (new)

This is the one that I am on in the series, Georgiana. I'm glad it is a good blend of Darcy and Knightley cooperation. I need to catch up on this series. I think I have three to read.

message 23: by Sophia (new)

Here's my first challenge update. I feel that I'm off to a good start.

Less Proud and More Persuasive A Pride and Prejudice Variation Novella by Sophie Turner
Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Rating: 4

The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Rating: 5 (as if it would be less, haha)

Villa Fortuna - Pride, Prejudice, and a Haircut by Cat Gardiner
Rating: 5

Meet Your Match (No Match for Love, #0.5) by Lindzee Armstrong
Rating: 4

YTD: 4/21

message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria | 29 comments Good choices, Sophia! Meet Your Match sounds cute and interesting. And P&P is always a winner! :D

message 25: by Sophia (new)

Yes, Meet Your Match was a surprise. It was modern Emma-ish and cute. I'm listening to the next installment in the series now.

Oh yes, P&P is a sure win, Maria! :)

message 26: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Sounds like I'm going to have to check up on Lindzee Armstrong's books. She's a new name to me and as a huge audiobook fan, I'm always on the lookout for something new to listen to on my drives to and from work.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments any of the other books in series based on Jane Austen ?

message 28: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Quite a list, Sophia! Reading one of the annotated editions alone is quite an accomplishment. Am currently slogging along in the Harvard University Press annotated edition of Northanger Abbey. Learning a lot!

message 29: by Patricia (last edited Jan 27, 2016 07:22AM) (new)

Patricia | 188 comments In Middle of

Mercy's Embrace So Rough a Course by Laura Hile

Bluebells in the Mourning by KaraLynne Mackrory

message 30: by Sophia (new)

@Anji- I just found out about Lindzee Armstrong and it was by chance when I won a copy of her prequel and first book of this matchmaking series. I wouldn't say she is Austenesque, but this particular pair of stories is very Emma-ish. The narrator is new to me and she is good. I'm in the middle of book one. So far, it's less Emma-ish than the prequel, but I'll put up a review so you can see what I think when I finish.

@Abigail- Yes, the annotated version was a monster, but it was so fascinating to read through the notes alongside the text of the novel that it went quickly. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the NA edition.

@ Trish- Oh cool, your reading the prequel, too. And I know book one is connected to the prequel with the main characters getting the finish to their story, but I don't think there will be more Austenesque connections with the series like these first two feeling like Emma. I'll know better when I finish book one and can better answer your question.

message 31: by Danine (new)

Danine | 7 comments Nice reviews, Sophia! Enough to give a good sense of the book without too many spoilers. I need to pony up for those annotated editions. The questions you mention in P&P were just what drove me into researching Regency social life years ago. I had a hunch each time Jane mentioned a specific detail that it would have been as telling at the time, as mentioning a model of car or phone would be to us now. So glad someone cared to do this.

message 32: by Sophia (new)

Thank you, Danine!

I have to be careful b/c I tend to ramble on with my reviews. :) I was able to find three of the annotated versions second hand through eBay. They had been library copies so I didn't shell out much.
I definitely had a lot of my curiosity satisfied by reading this. Now, I fully plan to read each of the other novels with an annotated edition since this was such a great experience.

message 33: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Book #3

All Hallow's Eve by Wendi Sotis

I'll write soon a review for my blog. Anyway I read both Sophia's and Ceri's reviews and I absolutely agree with them. :)

message 34: by Sophia (new)

How kind to say so, Georgiana! Look forward to reading your thoughts, too.

message 35: by Elisabetta (new)

Elisabetta | 14 comments Book #1
The Intrigue at Highbury Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5) by Carrie Bebris

I like that the different characters in the JA's books are brought together in a new novel and to see how they interact with each other.
Emma could perhaps be described otherwise, it seems that her only interest is matchmaking!
I like this book, but, as always says Mr. Woodhouse, poor Miss Bates! all writers want to find her a husband !!

message 36: by Sophia (new)

LOL, yes, poor Miss Bates! That would be lovely to find her a match.

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandabookworm) | 57 comments My secret theory (or wish) is that Mr Woodhouse married Miss Bates after Emma and Mr Knightley got married. She needed security and Mr Woodhouse doesn't seem like he'd be good at being alone.

message 38: by Sophia (new)

That would be a good pairing. They are already friends and even if she is poor, she is still a gentleman's daughter. I like that scenario, Amanda.

message 39: by Georgiana (last edited Feb 02, 2016 03:03AM) (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Book #4

I finished reading for the umpteenth time Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen .

I definitely love this book: it was my first Austen reading and I think Henry Tilney is one of the most adorable of her heroes, maybe because behind his mask hides Jane Austen herself.

Amanda wrote: "My secret theory (or wish) is that Mr Woodhouse married Miss Bates after Emma and Mr Knightley got married. She needed security and Mr Woodhouse doesn't seem like he'd be good at being alone."

Noooo! Poor Miss Bates! XD

Here's my review for All Hallow's Eve:
http://ildiariodellelizzies.blogspot....

message 40: by Sophia (new)

Oh yes, Henry Tilney is so charming. Love seeing another re-read of the original NA.

Thanks for sharing your All Hallow's Eve review, Georgiana!

message 41: by Ceri (new)

Ceri | 224 comments Amanda wrote: "My secret theory (or wish) is that Mr Woodhouse married Miss Bates after Emma and Mr Knightley got married. She needed security and Mr Woodhouse doesn't seem like he'd be good at being alone."

I think Jane Austen said in her letters that Mr Woodhouse lived for two years after Emma's marriage so he would have had a nice final couple of years living with the Knightleys. I like to think that Miss Bates will end up living with the Churchills. I am sure Frank will love it :)

message 42: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Ooh, Ceri, you vengeful puss! I would wish the same fate on Frank Churchill. Ha!

message 43: by Ceri (new)

Ceri | 224 comments Muahahahaha!

message 44: by Sophia (new)

Oh yes, that would be torture for Frank.

message 45: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Book #5 Northanger Abbey by Nancy Butler

I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of graphic novels, even though Nancy Butler's are quite faithful (except for Pride and Prejudice, that I found terrible).
I just loved Lee's depiction of Bath (quite faithful, too), and I laughed out loud because of General Tilney's tuft...

message 46: by Sophia (new)

Glad you gave this one a chance after the P&P one. I like graphic novels to a point, but yes, some are better than others. I'm trying to remember General Tilney's tuft from when I read this. I wish I could. :)

message 47: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Finally finished my 1st JAFF book. 10 more to go.

I read A Weekend with Mr. Darcy. It was my February someone else pick. It was just okay for me. Others might really like it. More explanation in my full review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 48: by Sophia (new)

Ah, sorry it wasn't a hit. I think I found it a milder story, but it's been a while. Congrats on finishing one toward the goal.

message 49: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Book #6

Jane Austen The World of Her Novels by Deirdre Le Faye

It was a good read, but a bit disappointing, coming from Deirdre Le Faye. I'll keep this as a reference book, anyway.

message 50: by Sophia (new)

I have a few Deirdre Le Faye books on my list to read, but haven't tackled one yet. Sorry this one wasn't quite there for you, but glad it is helpful as a research book.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17