Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Challenge Levels > Caroline Bingley Level 1-5 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
Caroline says “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

Please post updates in separate comments. Books and book cover links may be utilized by clicking the 'add book/author' link above the comment box.

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) Is this where we post updates if we chose this level? One down! ;)

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Yes it is, Rosa! Great start. Which book did you read?

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) Hi Sophia! I've just completed Northanger Abbey. I was thinking of rereading P&P next. I welcome suggestions..;)

message 5: by Sophia (new)

How cool! I just re-read NA last summer. It was fun since it had been nearly 20 years since I last read it. Oh yes, a P&P reread is a good one. At least I think so since I'm in the middle of a re-read right now. LOL!

Persuasion is my favorite so I will always push people to pick that one up for a re-read. :)

message 6: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) Thank you, Sophia! I'm looking now for a film adaptation of NA. (I always enjoy reading the book first!) I'll re-read P&P next, and then Persuasion. :)

message 7: by Sophia (new)

Rosa wrote: "Thank you, Sophia! I'm looking now for a film adaptation of NA. (I always enjoy reading the book first!) I'll re-read P&P next, and then Persuasion. :)"

It might be at your library. The latest film adaption was cute.

Enjoy your rereads!

message 8: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) Thanks for the recommendation, Sophia! I found a version on You Tube with Carey Mulligan. 'Really enjoying it! Btw, just began P&P -- the writing is so much more fluid than NA. Maybe it's just my favorite JA..:)

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Oh good! I always forget to check You Tube.

Haha! Yes, being a favorite definitely plays a part of that, I'm sure.

message 10: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Rosa wrote: "Thank you, Sophia! I'm looking now for a film adaptation of NA. (I always enjoy reading the book first!) I'll re-read P&P next, and then Persuasion. :)"

The 2007 adaptation with Felicity Jones and JJ Feild is the best one I have found.

message 11: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) Ahnya wrote: "Rosa wrote: "Thank you, Sophia! I'm looking now for a film adaptation of NA. (I always enjoy reading the book first!) I'll re-read P&P next, and then Persuasion. :)"

The 2007 adaptation with Felic..."

Thank you, Ahnya! :)

message 12: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) I've just completed P&P. This is my second read, the first when was a teen. This is still my favorite JA novel. :) Which to read next? I may try Persuasion, as suggested by Sophia!

message 13: by Sophia (new)

That's marvelous, Rosa. Glad it was as good as you remembered. Hopefully Persuasion won't be a let down if you try it next. LOL

message 14: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Rosa wrote: "Ahnya wrote: "Rosa wrote: "Thank you, Sophia! I'm looking now for a film adaptation of NA. (I always enjoy reading the book first!) I'll re-read P&P next, and then Persuasion. :)"

The 2007 adaptat..."

You are welcome

message 15: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Hi Sophia. I've registered for the Catherine Morland level but just wanted to say that I've now reached the top of the Caroline Bingley level already. Like the eponymous lady for this level, "I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! " but I do it with total honesty and not in an attempt to catch a husband!

message 16: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Are you keeping a list of your reads somewhere, Anji?

message 17: by Sophia (new)

LOL, Anji! I do appreciate your total honesty about your motivations. And Yay, congrats for passing through to the next level.

message 18: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) Sophia wrote: "That's marvelous, Rosa. Glad it was as good as you remembered. Hopefully Persuasion won't be a let down if you try it next. LOL"
Thanks for the recommendation, Sophia! I believe it may have surpassed P&P as my favorite JA--it easily earned a 5 star rating from me!! At this rate, I may change my level to the next highest challenge...:)

message 19: by Sophia (new)

Now, that would be great news. I have hopes that I will advance an extra level, too.

I'm so glad Persuasion was a superb read. I've got it on audio so I've been listening to it a bit at a time.

message 20: by Paige (last edited Jan 31, 2016 03:41PM) (new)

Paige | 32 comments I read one book for the challenge this month, and I loved it!
The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen by Syrie James

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Oh, yes, I've heard that's a good one, Paige. Good choice!

message 22: by Paige (last edited Jan 31, 2016 03:41PM) (new)

Paige | 32 comments Sophia wrote: "Oh, yes, I've heard that's a good one, Paige. Good choice!"

It was on my TBR pile for so long! I am so glad I finally got to it. I don't know exactly what took me so long. I think I kept grabbing newer books on my to be read list.

message 23: by Sophia (new)

I do that, too. Need to pick up more of the older ones on my pile. I probably have some real gems and have let them sit.

message 24: by Ceri (new)

Ceri | 224 comments I do that as well. I have some books in my kindle that are probably wonderful reads and they've been sitting there for a couple of years! Like you say, newer reads catch your eye when you are choosing what to read next.

message 25: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Sophia wrote: "Oh, yes, I've heard that's a good one, Paige. Good choice!"

It is Sophia. I listened to the audiobook last year.

message 26: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Ceri wrote: "I do that as well. I have some books in my kindle that are probably wonderful reads and they've been sitting there for a couple of years! Like you say, newer reads catch your eye when you are choos..."

Ceri, for the purposes of this challenge, I've made myself a reading list and deliberately put many of my older acquisitions high up on it. Like you, there are some that I've had for getting on for two years.

message 27: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Paige wrote: "I read one book for the challenge this month, and I loved it!
The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen by Syrie James

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I read that last year. I loved it as well. Her other books are good too.

message 28: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Ahnya, the only other book by Syrie James I have read so far is Nocturne, which I really loved. I am really looking forward to reading her other books! I am glad to hear your endorsement of them!

message 29: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Paige wrote: "Ahnya, the only other book by Syrie James I have read so far is Nocturne, which I really loved. I am really looking forward to reading her other books! I am glad to hear your endorsement of them!"

I also read The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen last year. I can't decide which one I liked better. I read Nocturne a few years ago, it was wonderful.

message 30: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Jane Austen's First Love is good, too!

message 31: by Ceri (new)

Ceri | 224 comments Anji wrote: "Ceri, for the purposes of this challenge, I've made myself a reading list and deliberately put many of my older acquisitions high up on it. Like you, there are some that I've had for getting on for two years."

That's a good idea. I have a spreadsheet with all my book purchases on which is supposed to shame me into reading things I've already purchased rather than buying new ones, so it would be easy for me to see my older buys.

message 32: by Sophia (new)

Enjoyed your review, Loren! Loved this one, too.

message 33: by Anji (last edited Feb 05, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Anji | 283 comments Loren wrote: "Hello! It's a good idea Anji, I think I'll do the same!
Speaking of new books I have just finished Undeceived: Pride & Prejudice in the Spy Game, do you know it?
My review here: htt..."

It sounds fascinating and I'm following the blog tour in the hope of maybe winning a copy. I'll definitely be getting a copy if I'm not lucky though.

message 34: by Sophia (new)

Great, you got another one read. I'll come check out your review, Loren.

message 35: by Maria (new)

Maria | 29 comments Posted my first review for this challenge! I read Holidays With Jane: Trick or Sweet and I found it amusing and very engaging! Here's the link:

message 36: by Sophia (new)

Alright, Maria! One down and glad it was engaging.

message 37: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Loren wrote: "Hello! It's a good idea Anji, I think I'll do the same!
Speaking of new books I have just finished Undeceived: Pride & Prejudice in the Spy Game, do you know it?
My review here: htt..."

Yes I have, Loren. I'm following the blog tour hoping for a win in the giveaway. If not, I expect this is one I'll definitely be buying.

message 38: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Lady Bridget's Diary (Cavendish, #1) by Maya Rodale

I absolutely adored this book! It is so clever! If you love Pride and Prejudice, Bridget Jones's Diary, and Mean Girls, then I think you will love it, too! It is a modernish Regency era confection. It is my second book for this year's challenge.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 39: by Sophia (new)

Oho! You have me intrigued by that description. Thanks, Paige.

message 40: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Sophia wrote: "Oho! You have me intrigued by that description. Thanks, Paige."
:-)

message 41: by Georgiana (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:57AM) (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Paige wrote: "Lady Bridget's Diary (Cavendish, #1) by Maya Rodale

I absolutely adored this book! It is so clever! If you love Pride and Prejudice, Bridget Jones's Diary, and Mean Girls, then I think you will love it, too..."

I loved it, too!!! And Chasing Lady Amelia is even better: it's the retelling of the film Roman Holiday... in London! ;)
(of course you can't use it for this challenge, but it's very good all the same)

message 42: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Georgiana wrote: "Paige wrote: "Lady Bridget's Diary (Cavendish, #1) by Maya Rodale

I absolutely adored this book! It is so clever! If you love Pride and Prejudice, Bridget Jones's Diary, and Mean Girls, then I think you wil..."

Now I am REALLY excited to read Chasing Lady Amelia! I seriously can't wait!

message 43: by Sophia (new)

Ha! That does sound like a fun setting for an Austen story, Loren.

message 44: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) I've read five books now - four Austen novels & 1 JA-related - Longbourne by Jo Baker. Thanks for the Feb. challenge recommendation, Sophia! Do I challenge myself to move up to the next level? Decisions....:)

message 45: by Sophia (new)

Oh yes! Definitely keep going to the next level, Rosa. ;)

So glad you enjoyed your Feb book. Hope you can go again in April.

message 46: by Sophia (new)

Splendid, Loren!

Moving up to Marianne! Keep it going. :)
I'll have to pop in on your blog tour stop.

message 47: by Sophia (new)

You bet, Loren. I enjoyed your review post. :)

message 48: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Loren wrote: "Hi! Last month I read my fourth austenesque book L'Amaryllis Fiorirà - The Austen Resort - Episodio 1. It's the firs part of a series and it takes place in a resort in Fuerteventura..."

Maybe you missed it, Loren - I wrote it on the March Promotion Place discussion - but Elisa Origine has a giveaway on Facebook for either the second or the third book in the series.
https://www.facebook.com/events/47191...

message 49: by Maria (new)

Maria | 29 comments Finished my second book for this challenge. :)
I read Find Wonder in All Things and found it beautiful! Here's my review:

message 50: by Maria (new)

Maria | 29 comments Here's my review of When Mary Met the Colonel:
Lovely story! :)

« previous 1 3 4