Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Dark Corners
This topic is about Dark Corners
Archive - Group Reads > Dark Corners - December 2015 & January 2016

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new) - added it

Chava | 2788 comments Hi,

THis is the discussion for BOM Dark Corners nominated by Robert.

Please be patient. The discussion might not flow as quick as usual due to the holiday season. Enjoy!

message 2: by Robert (last edited Nov 29, 2015 03:37AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Robert Davis (robert_davis) Dark Corners by Ruth Rendell Ok folks, let's run out to our local independent bookstore or local library and get our copies! I was lucky and won my copy through goodreads giveaway! (This is Ruth Rendells last and final book.)

message 3: by Marion (new)

Marion Mlodynia | 573 comments I'll get my copy from the library. I've always loved her style of writing.

message 4: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I have a lot of books to read to finish up some reading challenges but if I finish them up in time, I would like to read this one. I have never read Ruth Rendall. Can you believe it? I hear she is really good and I really think its about time to read her.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet Stokes | 485 comments Her last ever book, (wow) so worth getting it in paperback.

message 6: by Marion (new)

Marion Mlodynia | 573 comments Ruth Rendell is the BEST

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet Stokes | 485 comments They play radio drama made out of Ruth Rendell's thrillers in BBC Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra. I like playing them over the web player while doing housework.

message 8: by Rita (new)

Rita Marcella | 6 comments I've read loads of Ruth Rendell's novels in the past and am looking forward to her last one if somewhat sadly

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) | 7 comments Awesome! I have had this book on my TBR shelf for a while =D

Robert Davis (robert_davis) I am very glad to see so much enthusiasm for Dark Corners . Please do not feel rushed to finish it, we have plenty of time. But of course, the sooner we finish, the sooner we can discuss. I hope to have it finished by early next week.

message 11: by Chava (new) - added it

Chava | 2788 comments are they sure it will be the last book? I know she passed away earlier in the year, but Ian Fleming has been dead for years and they were still able to publish books from left over manuscripts. Any chance that might be the case here?

Btw, I'm with Mary, I've never read any of her books. I thought I'd be the only one on this forum!

Robert Davis (robert_davis) This is also my first read of a Ruth Rendell mystery, and I really didn't know what to expect. I am halfway through and looking forward to a good discussion.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol I started reading it this week. Have not read this author before...

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments I love Ruth Rendell. I read Portobello earlier this year and loved it. I just started listening to this and am loving it.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) Kirsten, I am also listening to the audio (I also have an ARC from the publisher won through goodreads) ... what do you think of Ric Jerrom's reading of the story?

message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet Stokes | 485 comments On BBC Radia 4 Extra chennel they broadcast radio dramatizations of the books as well as readings. I love listening to those as I do housework.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) Whew! I just finished it, my last book of 2015. I have some things to say for sure, but I want to hear from you first. If you are finished or almost finished, let's hear from you. Are you satisfied with it?

message 18: by Alex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) | 7 comments This was my first Ruth Rendell book.
I kept expecting some huge plot twist that never came, but I still found myself enjoying it. I'm interested in reading some of her other books.

LexReader Hello and happy new year! I just joined the group - looking for something new to try for 2016. I just downloaded this book to read for January. I did book bingo in another group and while it was fun it was just a bit too fast paced for me. Looking forward to reading this author - this will be my first book by her.

message 20: by Robert (last edited Jan 01, 2016 06:36PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Robert Davis (robert_davis) LexReader wrote: "Hello and happy new year! I just joined the group - looking for something new to try for 2016. "

Welcome Lex, happy to have you here. Seems like we have many who are first time readers of her... me for one. (and probably the last time)

Before I start my rant on this book, I'd like to hear from some others. Was anyone disappointed?

message 21: by Janet (last edited Jan 02, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Janet Stokes | 485 comments Ruth Rendell has written a large number of books. I think a writer generally runs out of ideas after writing the same series or genre for a long time.

Read one of her first dozen books. I have read 3 and 2 were very good.

message 22: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 08, 2016 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments I absolutely love Ruth Rendell. I'm over halfway through the book and I have to say (view spoiler) is not a problem I've ever had.

I have read a handful of her books. The last one before this is Portobello. It was very similar in that it was a story of people that were interconnected and how villainy entered their lives in an almost ordinary way.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Just finished reading Dark Corners by Ruth Rendell Dark Corners by Ruth Rendell.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Loved it! Even better than PORTOBELLO!

Robert Davis (robert_davis) Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I absolutely love Ruth Rendell. I'm over halfway through the book and I have to say [spoilers removed] is not a problem I've ever had.
"

Oh yes, I did notice the (view spoiler) I figured it must be a British thing. No way that would be allowed here in the states.

message 25: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - added it

Icewineanne | 645 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I absolutely love Ruth Rendell. I'm over halfway through the book and I have to say [spoilers removed] is not a problem I've ever had.
"

Oh yes, I..."

Now I'm curious - hah! Must get a copy of this to see what this is all about :-)

message 26: by Robert (last edited Jan 11, 2016 12:50AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Robert Davis (robert_davis) Ok, I've sat on this long enough. I loathed this book. There was not one character I cared about, empathized with or cared about. I didn't like the plot, and I absolutely despised the ending. The ending was such a ridiculous bunch of rot.

(view spoiler)

I'm NOT sorry I nominated this book, I just wish it hadn't been such a waste of time!

message 27: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 10, 2016 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments I have to disagree, Robert. I reserve that sort of loathing for Gone Girl.

The point isn't where all the kidnapping and bombing came from. It's about a group of people that are connected to one event and all the things that spring from that. All these people are connected to the death of Stacy.

Maybe you don't like this type of book. Tastes are different. But I think that level of derision should be reserved for people like Trump, not a crime/mystery novel.

message 28: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - added it

Robert wrote: "Ok, I've sat on this long enough. I loathed this book. There was not one character I cared about, empathized with or cared about. I didn't like the plot, and I absolutely despised the ending. The e..."

I'm very surprised. I have only read one of her Wexford books but many of her psychological suspense novels written under Barbara Vine. They are excellent stories.

message 29: by Janet (last edited Jan 15, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Janet Stokes | 485 comments I did not know about Babara Vine. I shall try one of that series. Thanks for the information, Ice.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) I said what I didn't like about the book. Let's hear from you! What did you like... what did you not like?

message 31: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - added it

Janet wrote: "I did not know hat about Babara Vine. I shall try one of that series. Thanks for the information, Ice."

Can't wait to read your review on one of the books. My favs were The Brimstone Wedding & Asta's Book. Enjoy :-)

message 32: by Janet (new)

Janet Stokes | 485 comments Great. I'll buy Brimstone Wedding after my current read.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments I love the characters and the interactions and the depiction of suburban London life. The crime almost seemed to be just a side effect of London urban life. Fun.

message 34: by Janet (new)

Janet Stokes | 485 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I love the characters and the interactions and the depiction of suburban London life. The crime almost seemed to be just a side effect of London urban life. Fun."

Oh, I love stories like that. That sounds perfect for me.

Farren (mmmcookies) | 0 comments I'm going to agree with Robert on this one. I just really couldn't stand this book. The characters were awful, the plot lacked any sense, and half of the characters were hardly even related to the other half in the story. I wrote an extremely unfavorable and long review on this one, which is something I never do but I write them mostly for myself.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Sometimes I wonder if it's me or if others expect something different when they open a book. I love British mysteries partially because of what I expect from the Brits.

As to complaints about how characters are not related in the book, that is something you find in Ruth Rendell books. It's about an event that occurs and how it cascades into the life of interrelated people. If you don't like that kind of plotline, don't open a Ruth Rendell.

I, personally, adore every Ruth Rendell I open.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Portobello (other topics)
Dark Corners (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ruth Rendell (other topics)