Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Andrea (Catsos Person) Bingo Challenge for 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited May 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments 1 January - 31 December, 2016

24/25

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate: 1928winner: Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset Completed 5/15

B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic: The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells. Completed 2/11/16

B3: Classic of Africa: The Flame Trees of Thika: Memories of an African Childhood by Elspeth Huxley completed 3/27/16

B4: Children's Classic: Heidi by Johanna Spyri. Completed 1/14

B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s The Satyricon by Petronius Arbiter Completed 1/15.

I2: New-to-You Author: The Call of the Wild by Jack London. Completed 2/17.

I3: Classic Play: Lady Windemere's Fan  by Oscar Wilde completed 4/14/16

I4: Banned Book: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell Completed 4/7/16

I5: Published in the 1700's: Evelina by Fanny Burney completed 5/15/16

N1: Classic of the Americas: A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway 2/25/16

N2: Short Story Collection: The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury completed 3/30/16

N3: FREE SPACE

N4: Poetry Collection: Jimmy Stewart and His Poems by Jimmy Stewart completed 4/10/16

N5: Classic of Europe: The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka 4/4/16

G1: Published in the 1600's: Oroonoko by Aphra Behn completed 3/22/16

G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century: The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry Completed 1/9/16

G3 Classic NonFiction: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank, Completed 1/28

G4: Classic From School: The Stranger by Albert Camus. Completed 2/17/16

G5: Published in the 1800's: Notre Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo completed 5/3/16

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country: The Color Purple by Alice Walker completed 4/10/16
-->1983 Pulitzer
-->1983 National Book Award

O2: Gothic Classic: The Moon-Spinners by Mary Stewart completed 4/3/16

O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania: Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse completed 5/11/16

O4: Mystery or Crime Classic: The Maltese Falcon by
Dashiell Hammett. Completed 5/25/16

O5: Prize-Winning Female Author: 1934 Pulitzer winner: Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller, completed 1/28/16

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9333 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing what books you read.

message 3: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Dec 01, 2015 08:59AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Thanks! I really enjoyed doing it this year!

I'm getting some ideas already!

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Well you never know where you will find your next read, but I know I'll be reading Lamb in His Bosom some time this January, can't pass up a good book set in Georgia.

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4818 comments Mod
Bob wrote: "Well you never know where you will find your next read, but I know I'll be reading Lamb in His Bosom some time this January, can't pass up a good book set in Georgia."

I feel the same. Very surprised that I had never come across Lamb in His Bosom before. Looking forward to reading it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Bob wrote: "Well you never know where you will find your next read, but I know I'll be reading Lamb in His Bosom some time this January, can't pass up a good book set in Georgia."

Bob Lamb in His Bosom is the January BOTM for a GR women's lit group. I'll be reading it with that group.

message 7: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Hoorah, for the women's lit group. If not for them and you I my never have heard of this book. Now I'm hoping to pick it up on the 30th when I return my current books to the library.

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I want to read it too now. My TBR list just keeps growing.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Bob wrote: "Hoorah, for the women's lit group. If not for them and you I my never have heard of this book. Now I'm hoping to pick it up on the 30th when I return my current books to the library."

You are right! If they had not selected this in women's lit group, I too wouldn't have heard of it!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Kathy wrote: "I want to read it too now. My TBR list just keeps growing."

Kathy, Lamb in His Bosom works for several options for bingo:

Award winning famale auth, award region/country (US), new to you auth, classic of the Americas and possibly others.

message 11: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Now that I have discovered who she is, Caroline Miller is also a Georgia Writers Hall of Fame inductee:

http://www.georgiawritershalloffame.o...

message 12: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Bob wrote: "Now that I have discovered who she is, Caroline Miller is also a Georgia Writers Hall of Fame inductee:

http://www.georgiawritershalloffame.o..."

I know, and being a GA girl I thought I knew most of the famous Georgia writers. I was amazed I had never come across her before she was nominated at the WLG.

message 13: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Feb 14, 2016 11:18AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Row B Ideas

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate: 1929 winner Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family by Thomas Mann

B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic:
B3: Classic of Africa: The Flame Trees of Thika by Elspeth Huxley
B4: Children's Classic: Call of the Wild By Jack London
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize: The Bone People by Keri Hulme / 1985 Booker Prize for Fiction and 1985 Pegasus Prize for Literature

message 14: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Feb 08, 2016 08:31AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Row I Possibilties

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s: "Utopia" by Thomas More or "Satyricon" OR "The Decameron" by Giovanni Boccaccio
I2: New-to-You Author: Mika Waltari The Egyptian By Mika Waltari
I3: Classic Play: THe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde OR The Lysistrata of Lady Windemere's Fan by Oscar Wilde
I4: Banned Book: Fanny Hill by John Cleland OR Uncle Tom's Cabin
I5: Published in the 1700's: Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos. OR Common Sense By Thomas Paine OR
"Evelina" OR "Cecelia" both by Fanny Burney or Fieldings' "Tom Jones" or The Monk (this is also gothic classic) or Moll Flanders by Defoe

message 15: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jan 07, 2016 07:43PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Row N Possibilities

N1: Classic of the Americas: Something by Laura Ingalls Wilder
N2: Short Story Collection: "In a Glass Darkly' by John Thomas Sheridan Le Fanu
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry Collection: poems by kali by kali Grosvenor OR On A Mission: Selected Poems and a History of the Last Poets by Abiodun Oyewole
N5: Classic of Europe: THe Black Obelisk by Erich Maria Remarque

message 16: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jan 04, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Row G Possibilities

G1: Published in the 1600's:
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century THe Little Prince By Antoine de Saint Exupery
G3: Classic Non-fiction: 1) Utopia/Thomas More; 2) Common Sense/Thomas Paine; 3) Thr Art of War/Sun Tzu 4) the Domestic Manners of the Americans/Frances Trollope
G4: Classic from School: To Kill a Mockingbird.
G5: Published in the 1800's: "Georges" by Alexandre Dumas Pere (DCPL Has eBook)

message 17: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Feb 11, 2016 05:59AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Row O Possibilities

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region: Pulitzer 1934 Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller.

O2: Gothic Classic: "The Castle of Otranto" by Horace Walpole, 125 pgs. OR The Monk

O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania: The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye or Zemidar by Valerie FItzgerald OR "Out" by Natsuo Kirino (Library)

O4: Mystery or Crime Classic: Death on the Riviera by John Bude, 1952.

O5: Prize-Winning Female Author: 1928 Nobel Laureate Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset

message 18: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jan 05, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments New York State Writers Hall of Fame

Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper- NY Writers hall of fame and classic of the Americas

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Happy Reading! I look forward to Lamb in His Bosom for this and another BOM read.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I think we may be reading "Lamb" for the same BOT month read? Women's Lit group?

message 21: by Powder River Rose (last edited Dec 24, 2015 03:55PM) (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I think we may be reading "Lamb" for the same BOT month read? Women's Lit group?"

Yes that's the group...but now I see that was one I couldn't get in audio. I have lots of paper and computer lists but this one was not marked where to find it.....I searched again and can't get it. :(

I'll look forward to the discussions though.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Oh, I'm so sorry that "Lamb" is not available in audio for you.

That's a drag.

Hopefully there will be other reads for that group with selections available in audio.

My library doesn't seem to have it, so I'm going to order a used copy or get it from the kindle store.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments I think it is a Pulitzer Prize winner from 1933 which is the reason I was looking at it to begin with. I just forgot to mark it off as Librivox, my library and Gutenberg don't have it in audio....or in hard copy. I might have to break down and actually "read" the words. Please let me know where you get it from. Thanks.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I just checked kindle store. They don't have it.

Amzn is selling used copies from other vendors cheapest $6-8+ change and S&H at $3.99.

Thriftbooks.com is selling for $3 + change plus S&H from other vendors as Amzn does.

I don't think betterworldbooks.com has any copies.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Well, that leaves me out since there are other books I'd like more and they are in audio, but if you get it let me know how you like it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I will let you know.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Powder River Rose wrote: "Well, that leaves me out since there are other books I'd like more and they are in audio, but if you get it let me know how you like it."

Rose, you might be able to get a used copy from betterworldbooks.com without paying S&H. Amzn and thriftbooks.com 3rd party vendors seem to charge s&h.

message 28: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Alibris has one copy at 1.08 + SH and several at 4.00+.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Oh thanks Sara. I forgot to check Alibris. I have bought books from that site before.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Thank you!

I didn't know much about "Otranto" but when I looked at the blurb, it looked interesting.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Thank you Andrea, I'm just going to stick with audio and skip this BOM but I'll enjoy hearing what you have to say. I will have to check out "Otranto" since it's new to me.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Powder River Rose wrote: "Thank you Andrea, I'm just going to stick with audio and skip this BOM but I'll enjoy hearing what you have to say. I will have to check out "Otranto" since it's new to me."

Oh. OK.

Sometimes its hard to get a copy of the BOTM for any given group.

The BOTM selection for the women's lit group for the last 2 mos has not been available at my city's library system and I just did not want to buy those two titles.

message 33: by Powder River Rose (last edited Dec 30, 2015 11:45AM) (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Powder River Rose wrote: "Thank you Andrea, I'm just going to stick with audio and skip this BOM but I'll enjoy hearing what you have to say. I will have to check out "Otranto" since it's new to me..."

You know...... there's a thread in one of the groups I belong to (maybe this one but I don't think so) that is doing a survey of library systems throughout the country that use the Overdrive feature. I think it's Huston, TX where you can get a free or reduced membership just by filling out an application. I'll see if I can find it as sometimes bigger systems have more to choose from if you download ebooks or audio. Just a thought even though some of the really "old" classics are likely only to be found at Gutenberg or LibriVox.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Fortunately, my city library system pays for Overdrive.

In addition to eBooks, it also has books in eAudio.

Overdrive is how I got started with eBooks. They have changed my life!

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Fortunately, my city library system pays for Overdrive.

In addition to eBooks, it also has books in eAudio.

Overdrive is how I got started with eBooks. They have changed my life!"

Excellent. Yes, audio from Overdrive has changed my reading life also.

Depending on the size of your community and library you may get a smaller number books available in proportion. BIG cities get larger selections, small cities get less to choose from however, I will likely never get through all the audiobooks in our library now.....though I'm not sure I would want some of the titles :). I haven't joined any other libraries but once in awhile the thought crosses my mind.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments My city has what I think is a large Overdrive collection.

I have library cards from two large suburban communities in the area and I feel my city has more titles in Overdrive than these two suburban library systems.

The monthly circulation for Overdrive in my city library is much larger than monthly numbers for the physical collection materials. I think I heard a while back that there are 200,000+ Overdrive check outs per month.

message 37: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jan 10, 2016 08:48AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments G2 Le Monde's 100 Books of the Century

Completed 1/9 The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

5-stars

message 38: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jan 15, 2016 10:51AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments B4: Children's classic Heidi completed 1/14/16.

I cheated a little. my library has several different eAudio of this book and I "accidentally" checked out the recording of BBC radio recording. It's about 2 hours long. There were seveveral actors and sound effects.

I haven't rated it yet.

message 39: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

That sounds fun.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments The Beeb did a good job with it.

I'm sort of new to audio books, so I miss out on a lot when I (try) to listen, but I was able to pay attention to BBC program.

message 41: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jan 15, 2016 10:50AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I5: Publ/written before 1600

Completed today 1/5/16 The Satyricon the Petronius Arbiter.

Very bawdy.

message 42: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments Nice. Was the language hard to get through?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments No the language was not difficult.

The translator, last name Arrowsmith, was committed to translating into modern American English, though this edition was translated in the 1950s. And I am from US, so I didn't have a problem understanding.

message 44: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 627 comments Call of the Wild is far better than Uncle Remus. Do yourself a favor and stick to Jack London!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Thanks for letting me know! I'll remove Uncle Remus.

message 46: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jan 28, 2016 05:11PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments O5: Prize Winning Fem. Auth.

Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller, 1934 Pulitzer. Completed 1/28.

This book was amazing! It's such a shame that this Pulitzer winner has fallen into obscurity. A phenomenal book.

G3 Classic Non-fiction: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank Completed 1/28

message 47: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Haven't come across anyone who didn't think Lamb was wonderful and underappreciated. Maybe we can start a revival.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I think "Lamb" isn't as widely known of as other books that I can think of, but haven't read. but if people hear of "Lamb" and give it a try, I think they would love it.

message 49: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason for why some books are revered and some are ignored. I read that this book lead to the discovery of Margaret Mitchell’s Gone with the Wind. Imagine if not for this book GWTW might never have been a success, just another work of regional fiction.

It wasn’t till after I read this book that I became annoyed with my local library. When I wanted this book I went on a hold list for two weeks while it worked its way from another library in the state. After I realized how good this book was I ask myself why this book isn’t in every library in Georgia? GWTW is found everywhere, but not Lamb. Caroline Miller was a native Georgian, a Pulitzer Prize winner, and is in the Georgia Writer’s Hall of Fame.

I’m ranting and it won’t solve anything.

message 50: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

My reaction exactly, Bob. If we rant enough sometimes people listen just to shut us up. :)

« previous 1 3 4