Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > adding cover for my e-book

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Tollen | 29 comments I give up! I've been trying for an hour to add the cover to the e-book version of my book, and I can't. So far as I can tell, GoodReads won't let me. Can anyone help?

The e-book has a placeholder cover -- in other words, no cover. Can someone give me the ability to upload the cover?

The e-book is being sold through Kindle and Smashwords with the cover shown here: http://davidtollen.com/the-jericho-ri.... (It should NOT have the old cover, which shows a teenager from behind, facing into a canyon.)

Thanks!

/David

message 2: by lethe (last edited Nov 28, 2015 10:52AM) (new)

lethe | 13555 comments I take it this is the edition you mean? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

(It has no cover. A placeholder cover, such as Amazon's "no image available" is an image that needs to be deleted before an actual cover can be uploaded - authors can't do that.)

You can upload the cover by clicking on the link in the top-right-hand corner of the book edit page (you need to have the image downloaded to your computer in order to select it).

If it doesn't work, I can do it for you, but as the author, you should be able to do it yourself.

message 3: by David (new)

David Tollen | 29 comments Thanks, lethe. I'd love to do it myself, and I have an approved image of the e-book cover. But where? I don't see any option on the page. Can you give me a link?

Thanks.

/David

message 4: by lethe (last edited Nov 28, 2015 11:07AM) (new)

lethe | 13555 comments Click on the link I posted, then click on the light grey link 'edit details' underneath the book record (we are not supposed to link directly to edit pages here, sorry), and then in the top-right-hand corner of the book edit page (next to the title field) you'll see underneath the 'back to book page' link:

Add a cover image for this book.
choose file

Click on 'choose file' and your 'downloads' file or similar should open for you to select the correct image.

message 5: by David (new)

David Tollen | 29 comments Thanks, lethe. I've tried that, but I'm not being given those option. When I click the "back to book page" link, I go to the page for a different cover version of the book (one that has the old cover, which is no longer for sale). I'm not being given a page with the option to replace the blank cover for the current edition of the e-book. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

/David

message 6: by lethe (last edited Nov 28, 2015 11:19AM) (new)

lethe | 13555 comments Don't click on the 'back to book page' link, click on the link underneath that.

I don't understand. You are obviously logged in correctly, otherwise you wouldn't have access to the edit page.

I read in the other thread that you don't see the 'set default' option either. Maybe there is something wrong with your account.

Shall I add the cover for you?

message 7: by David (new)

David Tollen | 29 comments Thank again. There may be something wrong. I really have no control over my book's page. I can't set the default version of the book, and I can't upload a cover image for the (new) e-book.

On my page, the only link under "back to book page" is "edit your metadata answers." There's nothing about adding or changing a cover. Am I missing something?

Yes, if you could add the gold version of the cover, I'd really appreciate it. How do I get it to you? Or can you use the version already uploaded?

This is really frustrating. I logged on two hours ago to make what should have been five-minute fixes, and I've been working on this since then. I was going to do an ad campabing, but now I feel like pulling the book off Goodreads altogether (if I could). Anyway, if you can help me, I'd be grateful.

/David

message 8: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 19903 comments The ebook edition Lethe linked to in message 2 was not on your profile. It had David W. Tollen as author. I changed the author to David Tollen, so this edition is on your profile. You should be able to make the changes now.
(Since the editions were combined, all editions should have the same author)

message 9: by David (new)

David Tollen | 29 comments Thank you, Arenda! I'd delighted to hear there's an explanation (now that I've just sent two annoyed requests for help to GR support)! I've just uploaded the cover, and I hope it works.

But my books are all sold under "David W. Tollen." Is there a way to fix that -- to change my name in Goodreads without creating another 2-hour repair job?

Thanks again.

/David

message 10: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 19903 comments Are these books also yours? https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

message 11: by David (new)

David Tollen | 29 comments Yup, those are mine.

There's also a second version of The Tech Contracts Handbook, which seems to be listed under "David Tollen." It's all me.

Does this mean you can fix this?

I really appreciate your help and knowledge.

/David

message 12: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13555 comments (Argh, I am so sorry to have added to the confusion! I hadn't noticed the different name.)

message 13: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 19903 comments David wrote: "Does this mean you can fix this?"

I can't. Only GR staff can merge GR author profiles. I made a request to have both profiles merged, and keep the David W. Tollen profile as your GR author profile.
See https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Usually it can take a few days before requests in that thread are taken care of.

message 14: by David (new)

David Tollen | 29 comments Thank you!

/David

message 15: by David (new)

David Tollen | 29 comments lethe wrote: "(Argh, I am so sorry to have added to the confusion! I hadn't noticed the different name.)"

That's OK. Thanks for your efforts.